Windshield Replacement in the DSM

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
2002 Honda Civic with a crack about a foot long diagonally on the glass. All started with a small crack from a rock that we didn't notice until the glass cracked. I didn't want to jump into repairing it until winter was over.

Does anyone have a recommendation? Good places? Cheap places? Price comparisons?

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
If you don't mind a used one my kid got his switched out at Sams Riverside Auto and it was about $100 less than new. The glass they will put in has no flaws it is just out of a salvaged vehicle.

Last edited:

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
2002 Honda Civic with a crack about a foot long diagonally on the glass. All started with a small crack from a rock that we didn't notice until the glass cracked. I didn't want to jump into repairing it until winter was over.

Does anyone have a recommendation? Good places? Cheap places? Price comparisons?

Let me know what you go with. I had the exact same thing happen and I was just waiting for the weather to warm up to get it fixed as well.

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
I honestly cannot remember what the company name is, but I've used this guy twice (yeah - we have too many vehicles) and he's GREAT to work with, both from a flexibility standpoint and price! He shows up where I work and gets it done in a flash. Call Alex at 515-770-6046.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I went to a place on University across from the post office (or the back/side of the post office) it might be Auto Glass Repair... a guy from here either worked there or knew someone who did. I got great service there and it was cheaper than I expected.

Ripvdub needs a new windsheild for his Honda Ridgeline. Might have to call them up again!

jpete24

SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I've heard a couple horror stories about Safelite, so I'm a little hesitant, but from what people are saying on here its not too bad.

Anybody have prices for their repairs? I can't go through insurance like some have suggested since Progressive apparently treated this like a luxury feature....(I like my Progressive though...they do a good job), and I would have to use my deductible.

jpete24

SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I actually went with Safelite. I called yesterday and they are coming out this morning to replace the windshield at work. I'll keep you posted on how they did.

I will say the price was surprisingly cheaper than I expected so that is good.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
I actually went with Safelite. I called yesterday and they are coming out this morning to replace the windshield at work. I'll keep you posted on how they did.

I will say the price was surprisingly cheaper than I expected so that is good.

I was expecting $400 to replace mine on my s10... but it was $247.00 total! I am very pleased.

How did yours turnout?

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I've heard a couple horror stories about Safelite, so I'm a little hesitant, but from what people are saying on here its not too bad.

Anybody have prices for their repairs? I can't go through insurance like some have suggested since Progressive apparently treated this like a luxury feature....(I like my Progressive though...they do a good job), and I would have to use my deductible.

Safelite charges $50 for a repair, too much IMO. It should be a $30-35 job.

jpete24

SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I was expecting $400 to replace mine on my s10... but it was $247.00 total! I am very pleased.

How did yours turnout?

Good. Turned out very well, and then this weekend the windshield cracked in my OTHER vehicle. *SIGH*

Not sure how long of a crack Safelite can repair but I should call and ask.