Windows Phones

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I've got a samsung windows phone as a work phone and I hate it (as does everyone else at work). Interface feels clunky compared to my iphone or even my original droid phone. They've stopped issuing them and have switched over to android based phones when people need replacements.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
A girl I hung out with for a while had one and she struggled with it and complained about it. But that was a common theme with her.

kilroy

Jun 10, 2010
hills to flat lands
Love mine, when they first came out I got one and they were really full of bugs, but I have less trouble w mine now than my friends androids. The HTC phones really sucked, but the m8 is Coming out soon for window phone. Can't go wrong with the Lumia phones, really good cameras in all of them. The 8.1 software I'm previewing now, which is coming out on all the phones right now is really good. I think the people that bag windows phone don't use it or got stuck with a crappy early phone. I hated Microsoft but gave it a try on a suggestion. So glad I didn't go android.

MadCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2006
Madison, WI
Probably a lot of the "advice" you are going to get here is from people that have never had a Windows phone that will just say, "get an iphone" etc. Most places give you 15 days to return the phone. So the best thing to do would be to go get it and use it. If you like it, keep it, if you don't, take it back. There are many places online that have reviews to read and watch.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Probably a lot of the "advice" you are going to get here is from people that have never had a Windows phone that will just say, "get an iphone" etc. Most places give you 15 days to return the phone. So the best thing to do would be to go get it and use it. If you like it, keep it, if you don't, take it back. There are many places online that have reviews to read and watch.

Except I have Windows 8 on my computer and it sucks - I can't imagine it being much better on a tablet or phone.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I suggest one of these:

medium09.jpg

clnst8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 7, 2006
I have one. No complaints. Does what I need/want. Got them for my wife and daughters. They like them also. Question is how are you going to use it? If there are specific apps that you want, then make sure they exist in the Windows App Store. That is main area where they lag behind...number if apps. Main apps are there just not all.

For work, I like the integration with Office. I have worked on a document on the laptop, then reviewed on my phone while on a plane. Changes were sync'd automatically.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I have an Samsung S5 and feel my son's Nokia lumia with Windows, for $70 is as good of a phone. I went from iPhone 5 to the S5 and haven't been happy. I'm on my second one after the first wasn't receiving calls. I'm to the point now that I just want an easy to use smartphone with game capabilities and Internet. All the crap they put on these things, most don't even know they exist and hurt performance.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Except I have Windows 8 on my computer and it sucks - I can't imagine it being much better on a tablet or phone.

Windows 8 is much better on a phone, the vast majority of annoyances with the OS are caused by it being way to oriented towards touch and not mouse and keyboard. I personally have an android phone but have messed around with Windows phones extensively due to my Dad and cousin having them. Biggest concern I'd have is looking at what apps are most important to you and make sure they have a windows version. Most big apps do but its not universal by any means.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN

It would be much better. Win8 is meant for tablets/phones. It basically shouldn't be put on anything that doesn't have a touch screen.

clnst8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 7, 2006
I have been running Windows 8 for work practically since it came out. I had the same complaints about Windows 8 running on a non-touch screen. However, most of my complaints have been addressed in 8.1. Much more mouse and keyboard friendly.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Messed with several in the store for a couple hours.

Got the Lumia 1520.

I have the HTC One (M7) and was unhappy so I didn't want the M8. Galaxy S5 didn't impress me. LG G3 was awkward.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Most people I know who have them say they're great phones but the app availability is very sub-par.

DreamyCy

Nov 13, 2013
Most people I know who have them say they're great phones but the app availability is very sub-par.

This. Everyone I know that has owned a windows phone has hated them. Even if if you do end up liking the phone itself the app availability comes way way short of what Android and Apple have to offer.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I went through every app that I use regularly and found a Windows version or comparable (no gmail app obviously).

So that sealed the deal for me.

Help Support Us

Become a patron