Williams & Blum Pod: Pollard's message and basketball's slump

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
KSU actually has a history of football success. That’s the difference. They also have no in-state competition when it comes to football.

History of success is a K-State plus for sure. However aren't we talking about AD contributions, not football specific? KU hoops is the biggest brand of any single sport at any of KU, ISU, or KSU. And yet K-State still gets way more money from its people than we do from ours. Unless all of that can be attributed to K-State being better at football from 5-25 years ago, then we aren't doing something right.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Not a bad approach. Especially right before playing Okie St.....

NazLong3TieIowaStOSU.gif
This is giving me wood.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Does anyone know what other universities are doing as a reward or incentive for their donors? Or to attract new donors?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
History of success is a K-State plus for sure. However aren't we talking about AD contributions, not football specific? KU hoops is the biggest brand of any single sport at any of KU, ISU, or KSU. And yet K-State still gets way more money from its people than we do from ours. Unless all of that can be attributed to K-State being better at football from 5-25 years ago, then we aren't doing something right.

I just feel like KSU is further along I. Their football evolution in terms of donating. I get it’s total AD but let’s be real…it’s all about football pretty much. I feel like LSU went through this “begging for more money“ stage in the mid-2000’s.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Not exactly. They're testing players when they come down with symptoms only. That's the only logical approach moving forward.
As someone who just got Covid / I disagree,
I will leave it at that. Note: I am not an nfl player.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
The ebbs and flow of this team with each game is so dramatic. Win a couple, then I think we can beat anyone, anywhere. After our last two games, I literally see no wins left:D

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I just feel like KSU is further along I. Their football evolution in terms of donating. I get it’s total AD but let’s be real…it’s all about football pretty much. I feel like LSU went through this “begging for more money“ stage in the mid-2000’s.

Yeah, KSU had that run where they finished ranked for a decade, most of those in the top 10. That pays big dividends over time, and a lot of times that's a delayed result. We've finished ranked in the AP poll 3x ever: Last year, 20 years ago, and 25 years before that, with a lot more bad years than good in between.

Donors have bought in about as well as you can expect for the level of product on the field over time. More success will bring in more, but it'll take time.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Regarding donations. It doesn’t have to be complicated or expensive. Just need to get folks into a $20-40 monthly subscription.

Hire someone to design a super simple website where people can start their subscription/donation in a couple of clicks. Bombard social media with the new site. Highlight how people are helping the school, but also offer some benefits especially for folks that live outside iowa. Unique ISU throwback gear, q&a or exclusive coach interviews, first dibs on equipment sale like someone else said, drawing for exclusive stadium or facilities tour, drawing for seats upgrade etc. You can come up with some corky and unique benefits to make it feel like people are getting something more than just helping the school.

CycloneBax

Nov 9, 2006
Ankeny
I appreciated Blum imploring fans to give more to the Cyclone Club but he also seemed to acknowledge that they don't provide as many incentives or benefits for donating as they should. I imagine our peers are providing more benefits and that helps to explain why a smaller school with a very similar alumni base (Kansas State) is blowing us out of the water in terms of how many millions they have in their fund. Would love to hear some thoughts on what the AD can offer to help drive donations, but seemed like Blum was shying away from offering thoughts that might get perceived as criticism.

Did Chris or Brent talk about their donating to the Cyclone Club? I would hope if someone is imploring fans to give to the Cyclone Club, they would add their personal experience of why they feel it has been important to them.

Reactions: FatNTired

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
We had more than you think. Grill, Kalscheur, and Hunter all had open threes on good offense, and they only made 2 collectively.

I think you're overstating the intention to shoot threes. A lack of aggression toward the hoop was a huge issue on Saturday, but I doubt that it was the gameplan until we got down in the 2nd half. We aren't going to be shooting 20+ threes most nights.
Kalscheur is over shooting/far too much arc.

Grill is rushing. He is often either starting his mechanics before he even has the ball or releasing without follow through. Both are to get the ball off quickly. Same problem he had his first go around when he was in a funk.

Hunter had the best looks but he also is the lowest threat so defenses are at times overplaying his drives/passes and allowing less contested shots from him

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Did Chris or Brent talk about their donating to the Cyclone Club? I would hope if someone is imploring fans to give to the Cyclone Club, they would add their personal experience of why they feel it has been important to them.
Generally speaking it is a borderline NCAA violation when being affiliated with a website that covers recruiting to be a donor in the event you speak to recruits. This applies more so to Chris and Jared than me, but candidly now that I’m going to be buying season tickets and not working on game days, I will be donating as well if compliance is ok with my CF affiliation.

CycloneBax

Nov 9, 2006
Ankeny
Generally speaking it is a borderline NCAA violation when being affiliated with a website that covers recruiting to be a donor in the event you speak to recruits. This applies more so to Chris and Jared than me, but candidly now that I’m going to be buying season tickets and not working on game days, I will be donating as well if compliance is ok with my CF affiliation.

What's crazy is the website could do a NIL deal with a player or players, but you as an employee has to worry about donating to the university. So much is wrong with the NCAA.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com

i can’t be a member as a media guy. Would make it illegal for me to cover and talk about recruiting. We can’t even have my wife’s football tickets in our families name.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Both of Burrow’s brothers played at Nebraska. Jamie was the more decorated played but I think Dan played a little too.

I could be wrong but my understanding was that Joe wanted to commit to Nebraska both coming out of HS and then transferring out of OSU but Nebby wouldn’t offer him.
You are right Pelini at Nebraska would not offer him a schollie and so Joe Burrow went to Ohio State where the coach ran him off and so Joe Burrow went to LSU and won a National Title....
Jamie Burrow played at Nebraska and also was a coach at ISU under Jim Walden!!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Even buying season tickets makes you a "booster" according to the Compliance sheet posted above some of the urinals at Jack Trice and Hilton.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

Cyclones125

May 3, 2016
So is the lack of concession food options at ISU bball games attributed to the fund shortage? Bring back Papa Johns

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
How long should we stick with horrible 3-point shooting? TJ's post-game interviews made it seem like he was not ready to give it up.

On the Corner 3 podcast, Scott C. talked about how most players do a better job on 3-point shots when the ball goes inside-out. It may have happened, but I don't remember a single inside-out pass leading to a 3-point shot on Saturday.

I remember one specifically from the second half, but we did more passing around the perimeter for spot up threes.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Kalscheur is over shooting/far too much arc.

Grill is rushing. He is often either starting his mechanics before he even has the ball or releasing without follow through. Both are to get the ball off quickly. Same problem he had his first go around when he was in a funk.

Hunter had the best looks but he also is the lowest threat so defenses are at times overplaying his drives/passes and allowing less contested shots from him

I agree. It looks as if Kalscheur almost palms the ball, which can cause his release to be inconsistent. He really loads with his legs, which is when you see the super high arc and resulting brick. The guy just needs to catch and shoot.

Grill is fine when he has time. He was just a hair off on a couple on Saturday. But yeah, he falls in love with the quick release stuff. I call that his Naz release. Looks cool if it goes in (KU) but usually doesn't.

I'd like to see Hunter force more stuff at the rim. His elevation is such an advantage for a guy his size. He won't get every call, but he should be able to get 5+ points at the line most nights. He needs a couple finishes or learn how to create angles that draw fouls.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Statefan10

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron