Williams & Blum Pod: Licking our wounds ... up next, Vegas

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Imo ISU right now has some sort of 'yips' when playing Iowa and to a lesser extent Okie State. They can't get out of their own way.

Reminds me of the ISU/Iowa series in the early 2000s. Iowa had their chances in '01 and '02 but kept having weird things happen while ISU stayed the course and played with less of a conscience.
Scared to lose.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I get what you are saying. The name on the front of the jersey matters. In the case of OSU, Bama and a few other schools they unfortunately are favored. Hell, how do you think Penn State fans feel. They are 2-0 and beat Wisky on the road. Yet they are still a spot behind OSU in polls!

But after watching ISU's first 2 games, does the Cyclone's on-field play warrant the national media to stick up for the ISU? Sure we have potential, but the truth is we haven't played like a top 25 team. The good thing is every game from here on out is a chance to prove we are good. Maybe even elite.
Ya well even if we win out, don't you dare talk to Finebaum about Iowa State!

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I just wish we played Iowa not at the beginning of the season. I’m sick of losing to them and know we would fair better playing them when we actually are playing good football

How about be prepared to play good football in September with a veteran group, many who have been on teams that had chances to beat Iowa multiple times and simply didn't make the plays.

This is the same thing Iowa fans would say years ago and we as ISU fans mocked it.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The below info is the first I have read about ISU's offense troubles. The below info was from ESPN's story on Campbell sticking with Purdy. Was there ever a doubt?

• The Cyclones' offense is second to last in the Big 12 at 337 yards per game, about 100 yards below its 2020 average.
  • ISU has gone three plays and out on seven of its 25 possessions and four other non-scoring drives lasted no more than five plays.
  • The Cyclones' four plays of 20 yards or longer ranks last in the conference.
I realized that we have had very few plays over 20 yards. But was surprised that 11 of 25 non-scoring drives have lasted 5 plays or less.

I believe it was last season, but I believe the Cyclones were one of the top offenses nationally with fewest 3 & outs.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
The below info is the first I have read about ISU's offense troubles. The below info was from ESPN's story on Campbell sticking with Purdy. Was there ever a doubt?

• The Cyclones' offense is second to last in the Big 12 at 337 yards per game, about 100 yards below its 2020 average.
  • ISU has gone three plays and out on seven of its 25 possessions and four other non-scoring drives lasted no more than five plays.
I realized that we have had very few plays over 20 yards. But was surprised that 11 of 25 non-scoring drives have lasted 5 plays or less.

I believe it was last season, but I believe the Cyclones were one of the top offenses nationally with fewest 3 & outs.
I want to see a vintage Brock performance saturday: about 300 yds passing with 3 td's. And i'm hoping for 140 plus on the ground, I think their defense sucks.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I want to see a vintage Brock performance saturday: about 300 yds passing with 3 td's. And i'm hoping for 140 plus on the ground, I think their defense sucks.

If ISU doesn't run for about 200 yards or at least could get there if they chose to...yikes.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Gonna ask again...how do NW and WI do it? Am I missing something here?

Has ISU not had ample opportunities to beat or even finish off Iowa during the CMC era when they've played?
It is quite simple....Wisconsin & Northwestern are Winning at the Line of Scrimmage....

There is an "Old Adage" in the NFL..."Whoever wins in "The Pit"....WINS THE GAME!!

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
At the end of the day what matters is the W or the L. "well we would have won if. . . " is loser talk. People can say our scheme "should have" won all they like until they're red in the face, but the fact is we lose every year now.
IMHO....Our offensive Line was NOT good enough to WIN this game.....CMC even alluded to this in his press conference with RP and the boys/ girls.....

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I just wish we played Iowa not at the beginning of the season. I’m sick of losing to them and know we would fair better playing them when we actually are playing good football
The one thing that thee Univ of Iowa insisted upon was PLAYING THE GAME EARLY IN THE SEASON....the reason for that is they THOUGHT THEY WERE GOING TO LOSE....and did LOSE ONE GAME 31-0 AT KINNICK ...and then they hired Hayden Fry.....

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It is quite simple....Wisconsin & Northwestern are Winning at the Line of Scrimmage....

There is an "Old Adage" in the NFL..."Whoever wins in "The Pit"....WINS THE GAME!!

Ok...so has ISU had opportunities to beat Iowa the last several times without playing up tempo?

Pretty simple: yes.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Ok...so has ISU had opportunities to beat Iowa the last several times without playing up tempo?

Pretty simple: yes.
ISU had a chance but lost....Iowa wanted the game more ...I feel sorry for this senior class ....They never got to savor a WIN OVER THE HOKS!!

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I just hope I don’t have to read how we’d dominate an “easy Big 10 schedule” this year.

Iowa is an above average Big 10 team. We’re an above average Big 12 team. And we consistently and solidly get beat. I get the stats… we’re not necessarily physically dominated. But the results are the same.

We would not keep pace in the Big 10 today, and with everything else going on with our conference, I think the gap will ultimately increase.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I just hope I don’t have to read how we’d dominate an “easy Big 10 schedule” this year.

Iowa is an above average Big 10 team. We’re an above average Big 12 team. And we consistently and solidly get beat. I get the stats… we’re not necessarily physically dominated. But the results are the same.

We would not keep pace in the Big 10 today, and with everything else going on with our conference, I think the gap will ultimately increase.

ISU would likely hover around the top half of the B1G west like they have the B12 the last several years and be in position to win it some years. They've hovered around the idea of beating Iowa and were in position to do it...kind of a microcosm for how that would go overall.

The idea that they'd just run away with it is absurd.

CloneAlta

Sep 9, 2010
Kansas City, MO
www.floorplanonline.com
Enjoy.

A huge question I have after sitting thru the Iowa game is: What the H___ happened to all the senior leadership/maturity we've all heard so much about on offense during that game and the UNI game? We sure saw it on defense? Is Heacock and his staff that much better than Manning and his staff? Or are the defensive guys that much better FB players? OR (my hunch here), was Heacock & his staff that much better prepared for Iowa with a far superior game plan than Manning & staff?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
A huge question I have after sitting thru the Iowa game is: What the H___ happened to all the senior leadership/maturity we've all heard so much about on offense during that game and the UNI game? We sure saw it on defense? Is Heacock and his staff that much better than Manning and his staff? Or are the defensive guys that much better FB players? OR (my hunch here), was Heacock & his staff that much better prepared for Iowa with a far superior game plan than Manning & staff?
What I think is really stupid about our strategy is we were trying as hard as possible to be safe and not turn the ball over. Pressing will always make you play worse and predictably. If teams are selling out against the run, use their aggression against them. I think I saw one counter run all game, the direct snap to Jirehl and he broke off a nice gain.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What I think is really stupid about our strategy is we were trying as hard as possible to be safe and not turn the ball over. Pressing will always make you play worse and predictably. If teams are selling out against the run, use their aggression against them. I think I saw one counter run all game, the direct snap to Jirehl and he broke off a nice gain.

Had a coach once who would preach that you're more likely to get injured when you play tentative.

Obviously it's generally a part of it no matter what, but imo the same goes for turnovers/mistakes. The 'go get it' ness just hasn't been there.

There's not a game that's an auto win outside of KU and if that doesn't get really worked through, we'll see similar losses.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA

It is this kind of data that makes me worry about the UNLV game and how so many are so confident. I think we win but the win like the uni win will be disappointing.

• Wow
Reactions: CyBobby

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

Based on this logic, we would not keep up in the Missouri Valley. Did you see Sac St's offensive stats against UNI?

It's not Iowa or the Big 10, it is CMC and Manning. They're not good with ball control and winning the margin games.

LOL. Solidly get beat? lmao. The Big 10 is weak this year, Iowa may TO their way to the top, which tells you all you need to know.

Help Support Us

Become a patron