Williams Blog: Hoops recruiting musings

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Would be nice to get those two big guys, then we could afford to be really picky on the last two schollies.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

What does it mean when all 20+ schools are listed as having "medium" interest in Kyle Washington, but all have made offers to him? What would make their interest rise above medium?

Also, CW only mentions that he is going to school in Connecticut, but the Rivals site says he is from Champlin, MN, so he might like to stay closer to home, particularly if Minnesota doesn't dial up their interest in him.

Royce White needs to be doing some recruiting about how well we take care of Minnesota's best, especially when they don't take care of their own.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
What does it mean when all 20+ schools are listed as having "medium" interest in Kyle Washington, but all have made offers to him? What would make their interest rise above medium?

I believe it is actually a measure of the prospects interest level in the school rather than the school's interest level. If they are all listed as medium it essentially means he hasn't listed favorites yet.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010

Also, CW only mentions that he is going to school in Connecticut, but the Rivals site says he is from Champlin, MN, so he might like to stay closer to home, particularly if Minnesota doesn't dial up their interest in him.

Royce White needs to be doing some recruiting about how well we take care of Minnesota's best, especially when they don't take care of their own.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the interest level indicates the interest level of the recruit toward that school not the other way around.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The Rivals database isn't an exact science Cycsk. It's a good base to go off of but that's about it.

So what moves a school's interest from "medium" to "high?" Official visits? A particular type of comment from a coach?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I believe it is actually a measure of the prospects interest level in the school rather than the school's interest level. If they are all listed as medium it essentially means he hasn't listed favorites yet.

So, it is just the recruit narrowing his list? If so, then when he does, wouldn't those schools move to "high" and all others drop to "low?" Pardon my ignorance, but I haven't paid much attention to the Rivals page.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Can Royce actually actively recruit?

We need to find a way! His "outcast in Minnesota finds the NBA with Iowa State" story is so compelling.

SvrWxCy

Aug 6, 2010
Kansas
www.recruitlists.com
Usually it only moves to high if the player has made a specific comment regarding that school being his favorite. More often you'll see the player list a top 5 and all others not on the list will drop to 'low interest'.

Also, I believe Kyle Washington will be attending a different school next year for his fifth year. South Kent was the school named as a possibility if I remember correctly.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Usually it only moves to high if the player has made a specific comment regarding that school being his favorite. More often you'll see the player list a top 5 and all others not on the list will drop to 'low interest'.

Also, I believe Kyle Washington will be attending a different school next year for his fifth year. South Kent was the school named as a possibility if I remember correctly.

I liked the fact that the school he attended last year was more known for academics than athletics until recently. It sounds like they really helped him in the weight room also.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI

South Kent is what I saw. Didn't sound like its a done deal though. Just a "probably"

MyDogisCy

Jun 7, 2012
Johnston, IA
I don't know how accurate my source is but I've been told Zach Hanson is probably going to Wisconsin or Nebraska. I currently reside in Pierre and was talking to a person who says he knows the situation. Evidently ISU is a long shot to land him as of right now.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I don't know how accurate my source is but I've been told Zach Hanson is probably going to Wisconsin or Nebraska. I currently reside in Pierre and was talking to a person who says he knows the situation. Evidently ISU is a long shot to land him as of right now.

I feel like we got in on this kid late, but things can change quickly in recruiting. Maybe he could be swayed by the fact that we are somewhat close to home. Nebraska is closer, but you're going to play at one of the worst historical MBB programs in the country.

Wiscy would be a little further and their style of play isn't for everyone.

Also, we have Freddie and let's face it..... he would be hard to turn down once you meet him in person.

MyDogisCy

Jun 7, 2012
Johnston, IA
Nebraska is closer, but you're going to play at one of the worst historical MBB programs in the country.

Wiscy would be a little further and their style of play isn't for everyone.

Also, we have Freddie and let's face it..... he would be hard to turn down once you meet him in person.

This is basically what I said to my "source" and evidently this kid really likes the new coach at UNL and, idk if this is true, they have brand new facilities that he likes as well. But like I said I don't know how good this information is but if I were a betting man I would say he probably does know what he's talking about.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
This is basically what I said to my "source" and evidently this kid really likes the new coach at UNL and, idk if this is true, they have brand new facilities that he likes as well. But like I said I don't know how good this information is but if I were a betting man I would say he probably does know what he's talking about.

I believe they have poured a lot of money into BB facilities in Lincoln, so I'm sure it's impressive.

The coach may be great, but good luck to UNL in B1G hoops.

Hopefully Freddie can impress him and get him to campus. Then we have a shot.

Otherwise we can get him in 2 years when he transfers from Lincoln or Madison :)

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Makes sense...
Tim Miles was the coach at Colorado State leaving just last year and prior to that at No Dak I is sure Zac is aware of his coaching style and abilities. He has an offer from CSU, likely Coach Miles has been recruiting him for a while too. I am originally I am from NW Iowa pretty close to South Dakota it has a Big Nebraska following (though it always confused me as to why.) Add in the fact that ISU apparently hasn’t recruiting him hard until recently. It doesn’t surprise me that the Huskers may currently be in the lead for his services. But things can change…