Williams Blog: Bowl thoughts after yesterday's games

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
The big 12 really does suck in the bowl affiliation dept. One more reason to expand into the east, hopefully get a bowl in FL again or something.

Yeah, that was especially horrible for all involved. I actually would be fine with Dallas as a destination against a very beatable team.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
The big 12 really does suck in the bowl affiliation dept. One more reason to expand into the east, hopefully get a bowl in FL again or something.
The bowls don't really suck, the top few are pretty nice. After the Holiday bowl they suck, but that's kind of the point, right? Win more and get a better bowl?

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
I guess that is nice but I don't really thing that is a huge deal with such a low prestige bowl.
I think it would be a lot better for ISU to be on ESPN as the only football on at night time around the holidays than being one of the many 11am games that is on ESPNU...give me the Meinke bowl!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The bowls don't really suck, the top few are pretty nice. After the Holiday bowl they suck, but that's kind of the point, right? Win more and get a better bowl?

Sure, but even our top bowls are a bit lower than other conference's top bowls. Fiesta is probably the least of the BCS bowls. We have or have had a million bowls in texas and not a single florida bowl, which would be nice.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think it would be a lot better for ISU to be on ESPN as the only football on at night time around the holidays than being one of the many 11am games that is on ESPNU...give me the Meinke bowl!

11am on a day everyone has off, vs friday night where many are out and about.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

True. Also the MCC Bowl won't kick off until 8:00pm Central time. That's fine for us but there are a lot of eyeballs on the East Coast that won't bother tuning in to a game on a Friday night that starts at 9:00pm - If it's exposure you're interested in.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
We have or have had a million bowls in texas and not a single florida bowl, which would be nice.

For a couple years the Big 12 had a tie to the Tangerine/Champ Sports bowl, but your point remains. Wasn't the Orange Bowl a Big 8 bowl? Would have been nice to keep that one.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
True. Also the MCC Bowl won't kick off until 8:00pm Central time. That's fine for us but there are a lot of eyeballs on the East Coast that won't bother tuning in to a game on a Friday night that starts at 9:00pm - If it's exposure you're interested in.

Agreed. I think it is a little bit overblown. Like having somebody flip past ISU playing and thinking "oh I should be an ISU fan now". TV exposure is a marathon not a sprint when it comes to lower tier football games. You get exposure two ways:

1. Winning singular big games like us vs #2 OSU
2. Being on TV every single week even when playing inferior opponents.

If we wan't exposure we are going to have to go to actually relevant bowls that carry a little weight. At the point we are at I don't think it really matters.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Since the Music City Bowl is also in discussion, here are all the vitals of all three.

***Meineke Car Care Bowl: Friday, Dec. 27 @ 8:00pm on ESPN vs. Big Ten (probably Minnesota) in Houston, TX at the Houston Texans' stadium

***Music City Bowl: Monday, Dec. 31 @ 11:00am on ESPN vs. SEC (probably Vanderbilt) in Nashville, TN at the Tennessee Titans' stadium

***Heart of Dallas Bowl: Tuesday, Jan. 1 @ 11:00am on ESPNU vs. Big Ten (probably Purdue) in Dallas, TX at the old Cotton Bowl (where Texas-Oklahoma is played)

If you want Music City Bowl for ISU, you're a TCU fan next Saturday against Oklahoma. To go to the MCC Bowl would just require their execs liking us more than Baylor. HoD would be if we get two in the BCS and MCC Bowl picks BU, probably. This is all just semi-educated speculation.

Last edited:

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Agreed. I think it is a little bit overblown. Like having somebody flip past ISU playing and thinking "oh I should be an ISU fan now". TV exposure is a marathon not a sprint when it comes to lower tier football games .

Well said. I think the best exposure of a lower-tier bowl is from the ISU and Cyclone Nation playing in Texas and Florida. The more games we play in those states, the better. I'd rather play in Dallas or Houston over anything other non-major bowls.

Reactions: Rhoadhoused

leroycyclone

Jan 2, 2010
Boulder, CO
For a couple years the Big 12 had a tie to the Tangerine/Champ Sports bowl, but your point remains. Wasn't the Orange Bowl a Big 8 bowl? Would have been nice to keep that one.

The Big 8 had the Orange Bowl for years. NU won their NCs in the Orange Bowl. That tie in was lost somewhere. My guess, and only a guess, was that the Big 12 made an effort to build up the Cotton Bowl and establish more Texas bowls for the state of Texas.

The Big 8 tradition was for the winning team fans to litter the field with oranges. Unhappily so, I watched NU fans do it at ISU.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I would much rather have won...but will take some consolation that nine teams are tossing $ into the bowl pot. It still works that way, right?

Last edited: