Williams and Blum: Duggan Story VERY inaccurate

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Dean's commitment didn't scare off Duggan. Purdy did. By the time Duggan was committing, Purdy had already won the starting job as a true freshman, went 7-2 as QB, and went to the Alamo Bowl. Duggan was not going to commit to ISU to sit behind that for 3 years.
Nice try.

When Duggan committed to TCU, Brock Purdy was finishing up his final semester at Perry HS.

• Dumb
Reactions: MyNameEhJeff

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Dean's commitment didn't scare off Duggan. Purdy did. By the time Duggan was committing, Purdy had already won the starting job as a true freshman, went 7-2 as QB, and went to the Alamo Bowl. Duggan was not going to commit to ISU to sit behind that for 3 years.
Yeah, if Duggan wanted to go to ISU, they were finding a scholly for him. The Dean offer meant that it's likely the staff knew they weren't getting Duggan and/or that Dean was probably not going to be a QB. The two were not on the same planet as a QB prospect. Duggan was a high level prospect and top 5 dual threat QB in the country.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Yeah, if Duggan wanted to go to ISU, they were finding a scholly for him. The Dean offer meant that it's likely the staff knew they weren't getting Duggan and/or that Dean was probably not going to be a QB. The two were not on the same planet as a QB prospect. Duggan was a high level prospect and top 5 dual threat QB in the country.
That seems logical, but that’s not what happened.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Nice try.

When Duggan committed to TCU, Brock Purdy was finishing up his final semester at Perry HS.

Okay? Purdy committed to ISU two months before Duggan committed to TCU, because Purdy committed as a HS senior while Duggan verballed as a HS junior. Then Purdy won the ISU job as a freshman while Duggan was playing at Lewis Central. Easton Dean had literally zero to do with Max Duggan not coming to ISU. Brock Purdy was the biggest factor preventing it from happening. Which was my point all along

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
What Duggan said in TCU Magazine: But outside of football, I wanted to go somewhere new. I really didn’t want to stay in state. I wanted to meet new people from all around the country, see new things, gain new interests, and I wanted to go to a school that would set me up for the future. TCU is highly regarded around the country. It’s in the DFW area. And, since it’s a small school, you’re able to form relationships with people — students, alumni and professors who will help you in the future.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
One old thing that no one else cares about that I really care about is when a bunch of people wanted to hire the Cleveland St coach instead of TJ.
Dennis Gates is a hell of a coach. I’m happy with TJ even though I did question it at first but Gates would have been a great hire as well. The man took one of the worse summit job, won the conference and tournament in his second year while also being the best recruiter in the Summit. He has Mizzou at 9-0 right now but I bet they haven’t played anyone with a pulse.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Although CW’s story of the decision “do you take Purdy or Duggan?” is interesting… it is incredibly inaccurate.

First, Purdy and Duggan were not in the same recruiting class. Purdy was 2018, taken in the same class as Re-Al Mitchell. Duggan was 2019.

Which leads to an even sadder truth. Yes, Iowa State did want to get a quarterback early in their 2019 class and Duggan was taking some time to reach his decision. On February 10th, 2018, Iowa State would secure the commitment of Labette, KS QB Easton Dean.

Max Duggan would commit to TCU about two months later… 8 months prior to his early signing period.

They may have had the details wrong... key is, Purdy committed Feb 2018, Duggan committed to tcu April 2018. Yes he would have been a different class, still think it makes sense that Purdy's decision likley impacted Duggan's decision...

1670290540175.png

1670290469908.png

• Agree
Reactions: MJ29 and MiscRiot

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Wow, I can't believe he still has eligibility left. Makes sense though. He is not an NFL prospect, so why not maximize your $ potential your last year of football. He gave 4 years of sweat and blood to TCU, deserves to go get a couple hundred thousand dollars before his playing career is over.

Disagree. Duggan is an NFL prospect.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Dennis Gates is a hell of a coach. I’m happy with TJ even though I did question it at first but Gates would have been a great hire as well. The man took one of the worse summit job, won the conference and tournament in his second year while also being the best recruiter in the Summit. He has Mizzou at 9-0 right now but I bet they haven’t played anyone with a pulse.
It was the Horizon not the Summit League but your point stands. Gates is a good recruiter, not to the level of T.J. but he will do okay Mizzou. I do think Missouri’s record of 9-0 this year is fraudulent. Their schedule has been terrible.

Last edited:

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Riddle me this Batman. Let’s say Earle Bruce stayed at ISU and there was no Hayden Fry. Is the result the typical Iowan crazy about ISU instead of the Hawkeyes?
No, Hawkeye fans...especially tavern Hoks...are from generations and generations of inbredding. No amount of Cyclone winning is breaking that.