• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
So the first three weeks of the season didn’t go exactly like we all had built up in our heads all summer long…

I feel you.

But this is still, without question, the best time in history to be a fan of Iowa State Football. 

After every game, Iowa State sends out notes and stats to the media. Much of the time it is stuff that fans really don’t care about (but a geek like me looks forward to this part of every game day). However, at about 2:30 a.m. (Sunday) Iowa time following Iowa State’s recent 48-3 thumping of UNLV, a nugget in the media notes caught my eye. 

“Iowa State won its 14th game as a ranked team since 2017. ISU won only 13 games as a ranked team from 1892-2016.”

Let that sink in … 

That’s insane! 

It’s funny how high expectations change everything. 

googletag.defineSlot('/7103/SMG_CycloneFanatic/300x250_1a/sports/ncaa/main', [[300,250],[300,600]], 'usmg_ad_main_ncaa_sports_300x250_1a').addService(googletag.pubads());
googletag.enableServices()...

Continue reading...

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I like K-State +6. I think a field goal decides this one either way. Low scoring affair probably.

I am not sure I can get on the Iowa State -7 train with you CW. I just don't like how this team comes out of the locker room vs Baylor. It being at their place makes me feel even worse about it. I just want our guys to go down there, get the W and get the hell out of Waco. I will feel good if we win by 1 or 100.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Why are we so hung up on the Iowa game? We're trying to do something that we haven't done in more than 100 years, and the game this weekend is much more important in that context.
It's frustration over 6 straight for me personally, and the fact that Campbell hasn't beat them yet. Much more the former than the latter though, as I cut Campbell some slack for the first couple years given the dumpster fire he inherited from Rhoads. 2019 was a winnable game too, so really there have just been a couple of instances where I feel like our guys effort against Iowa was lacking. 9/11/21 just happened to be one of those instances. The other was 2018 where the score was less indicative of the actual ass-kicking by Iowa IMO

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Why are we so hung up on the Iowa game? We're trying to do something that we haven't done in more than 100 years, and the game this weekend is much more important in that context.

Exactly. How can someone say that Texas is better than most people think and the Arkansas loss looks less damaging by the week, yet then say 4-1 will be a nice "consolation" for losing to Iowa? As if our season STILL revolves around Iowa. Shouldn't it have said with every win ISU is better than most people think and the loss to Iowa looks less damaging by the week? Give up the little brother syndrome already.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I like K-State +6. I think a field goal decides this one either way. Low scoring affair probably.

I am not sure I can get on the Iowa State -7 train with you CW. I just don't like how this team comes out of the locker room vs Baylor. It being at their place makes me feel even worse about it. I just want our guys to go down there, get the W and get the hell out of Waco. I will feel good if we win by 1 or 100.
They should probably say hi to Chip and Joanna while they are there.

• Haha
Reactions: 2020cy

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
It’s not being hung up on the Iowa game, it’s being hung up on leaving another win on the table. You only get 12 chances, so if the goal is a breakthrough season, losing any hurts, and even more when it’s because you pissed yourself.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
It’s not being hung up on the Iowa game, it’s being hung up on leaving another win on the table. You only get 12 chances, so if the goal is a breakthrough season, losing any hurts, and even more when it’s because you pissed yourself.

A breakthrough season would be winning the conference. That's it. That's a breakthrough.

• Agree
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Winning games as a ranked team is and always has been better than our upset wins. ‘92 Nebraska.. No. 2011 OSU? Not quite. You play in big games when you’re good and your opponent is good. We lost to UNI in 1992. It was a cool story, a fun win, and a huge upset but it wasn’t big for our program.
Campbells teams are running circles around our historical success. Keep things in perspective folks.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
A breakthrough season would be winning the conference. That's it. That's a breakthrough.
Seems low. Win all the winnable games, which should be 10+ and a conference title, with playoff consideration

Leaving wins on the table is never good. Any program with top-10 aspirations/expectations would be hung up/pissed at this point in the year with that type of loss. Stop pissing away wins with bad offense and ST

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Seems low. Win all the winnable games, which should be 10+ and a conference title, with playoff consideration

Leaving wins on the table is never good. Any program with top-10 aspirations/expectations would be hung up/pissed at this point in the year with that type of loss. Stop pissing away wins with bad offense and ST

So the reaction to one loss should be something other than this manic depressive Eeyore bulls#!t that we are still reading?

Thorongil Clone

Gone to Numenor
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2021
"ISU won only 13 games as a ranked team from 1892-2016.”
My first reaction was, wait we won that many?
More than half of those are from the 2002 season, probably.
Point of information--when did college football rankings begin? I can't seem to find the 1892 Coaches Poll.
EDIT: It appears the AP poll began in 1936.

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Eastern IA -> Raleigh, NC -> Madison, WI

You think accomplishing something that Iowa State Football have never accomplished I. The history of the program is a low expectation?

No I don't count Missouri valley business.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

There are more big goals to the season than a conference title. And basically all of those would be helped by beating Iowa.

First 10+ win season.
Playoff birth or NY6 bowl
Top 10 finish
Building our brand, more prime TV slots, etc
Winning our rivalry game

Honestly, I think one could argue that losing to Iowa hurts any goals we could have for the program other than a B12 title. And for that reason I don't understand how so many people brush it off like it doesn't matter much. The regular season is 12 games, everything matters.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Exactly. How can someone say that Texas is better than most people think and the Arkansas loss looks less damaging by the week, yet then say 4-1 will be a nice "consolation" for losing to Iowa? As if our season STILL revolves around Iowa. Shouldn't it have said with every win ISU is better than most people think and the loss to Iowa looks less damaging by the week? Give up the little brother syndrome already.
For me it has less to do with little brother than it does entering conference play with an unblemished record.

I don't know which is better 3-0 starts where you're not tested or 2-1 where you have two hard fought in-state games, but for the longest time (under Mac/Rhoads) non con success meant we had a shot at a bowl. We've now graduated and to me non con success means more likely better bowl.

Iowa loss this year is a better loss than last year's to Louisiana. But it's still a non conference loss, and this years loss looked about as bad as last years to Louisiana. It was a national spotlight game and ISU crapped the bed (on offense) and did not put up much of a fight.

For where it feels like this team "could go" those losses continue to shoot us in the foot. That's frustrating. It's doubly frustrating (I imagine as I'm in KC) when you have to listen to your coworkers remind you about it over the rest of the season.

Main goals are still on the table and I've been high on Campbells 9-10 win potential since year 2.

Last edited: