• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Because, whether anyone would admit it or not, we were also trying to go undefeated.
Agree. You start the season at 7, you damn well better have people “hung up” when you lose Game 2 while 2/3 of the team plays like ****. Most fan bases of similar expectations would be melting down simply from sneaking out a win against a ******* FCS team from the offense playing like ****.

Anyone not “hung up” from that loss needs to put the past behind them. It’s a new era of ISU FB

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
My focus is (and always has been) on a Big 12 championship. Let rankings and playoffs take care of themselves. I refuse to be drawn into the "nationalism" of ESPN and USA Today. They don't care about local and regional teams. They only care about what merits national attention in their eyes. I care almost exclusively about what merits local and regional attention in my eyes.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
About our playoff chances....like last year's UL loss.....no it didn't. About their chances......who gives a s***. Are you more upset if Iowa or Oklahoma makes the playoffs? If it's Iowa..........1997 is calling. We have more history with Oklahoma........much less success.....and people are snotting and crying over Iowa like Ferentz just flushed their pet fish. I don't care if "it's the state we live in".....the Big 12 is "the conference we play in". Which last time I checked has 9 games all much more important than than one non-con in September.
You don't think the UL loss impacted our playoff chances?
It impacted the margin for error, it also may have prevented Iowa St from winning the CFP popularity contest if they had scored on that last drive in the conference title game.

I understand the false dilemma of either beat Iowa or win the Big 12 is comforting, but having both was very much possible, if not needed for this team to max out. Being 3-0 right now is significantly better in terms of achieving all of the goals than being 2-1. This isn't old ISU football in which 4 or 5 losses was still a good year, it is now 1 or 2, of which we've already used 1.

And lets not ignore it is not just losing a game, it is how we lost, as well as how we played against UNI. It is as though we aren't experienced and didn't know our roster. Even UNLV 1st half showed the same inefficiencies that will make reaching the goals unlikely.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I live in enemy territory so I was hoping you'd stick to trees around their campus and not on the trail system I enjoy frequently...

Then I googled Auburn/Alabama Poison Trees and WTF?!?!
Former police officer from Texas with no direct ties to either school.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
A breakthrough season would be winning the conference. That's it. That's a breakthrough.
Both things can and are true. If we go on to win the Big 12 then we will all go crazy and be at an all-time high. However, this team this year (right or wrong) came in with lofty expectations by almost everyone out there as a team that COULD crack the CFP if it all came together. Now, that's such a high bar, but for the first time EVER we were thought of in that conversation and to basically have that dream end by our rival who we cannot seem to beat in Week 2 sucks. But everyone knows a Big 12 title is still there and a massive goal to achieve.

Side note, if we ran the table, we'd still have a decent chance at the CFP, but the margin for error is completely gone with the Iowa loss.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Both things can and are true. If we go on to win the Big 12 then we will all go crazy and be at an all-time high. However, this team this year (right or wrong) came in with lofty expectations by almost everyone out there as a team that COULD crack the CFP if it all came together. Now, that's such a high bar, but for the first time EVER we were thought of in that conversation and to basically have that dream end by our rival who we cannot seem to beat in Week 2 sucks. But everyone knows a Big 12 title is still there and a massive goal to achieve.

Side note, if we ran the table, we'd still have a decent chance at the CFP, but the margin for error is completely gone with the Iowa loss.

Only about 9% of D1 football teams have reached the four-team playoff. It's highly unlikely anyone is reaching a four-team playoff when Alabama-Clemson-Ohio St-OU-Notre Dame start the season already in, but 6 other schools have managed to do it one time and one time only. Expecting to make the playoff is unreasonable.

• Agree
Reactions: Rural and BigCyFan

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017

So the worst case is that we lose only two 2 games and get the Sugar Bowl? F that.............I want more of Danny Mac's owning Iowa, historic 3rd quarters and playing in the Smurf Bowl.

Missing the point entirely. I love how everything on these boards in any discussion is an all or nothing thing. Good lord people the majority of the time two things that are different can be true. Not a SINGLE person wants to just beat Iowa like Danny Mac. They had super high expectations to finally feel what it would be like to be a part of the big boys at the end of the season. That's still there if we run the table, but as a non-blue blood, the Iowa loss basically took us out of a CFP spot and it was Week 2. Let people dream of something they never thought they would see at ISU and have that dream basically end in Week 2 against your rival. We ALL know there is still a ton to play for and if we win a Big 12 title and a NY6 bowl game this will be the greatest season ever. Just like last year despite losing to UL we only all cared at the end that we won the Fiesta Bowl.

PizzaTheHutt

Feb 6, 2014
It's not losing to Iowa. It's losing a game, period, in a year where we could very realistically be in the top 5 right now. Beat Iowa and the season looks completely different right now. The goal should be to be in the Playoff this year. ISU started the season in the top 10. Not gonna happen, so we move on. But it's still a stinger of a loss.
Agree with most of this post….Feel like playoff berth is getting ahead of ourselves a bit. You have to win a big 12 championship first. That should be the main goal since we’ve NEVER done that. Once you win a big 12 championship then you can start bringing up playoff talk. We still haven’t won 10 games as a program…that’s another goal that needs checked before thinking about playoffs. Playoff talk has set up this fan base, that is new to success in football, to be disappointed this season. I understand a playoff berth is highly likely with a big 12 championship but the program needs to walk before it can run.

• Disagree
Reactions: VeloClone

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Only about 9% of D1 football teams have reached the four-team playoff. It's highly unlikely anyone is reaching a four-team playoff when Alabama-Clemson-Ohio St-OU-Notre Dame start the season already in, but 6 other schools have managed to do it one time and one time only. Expecting to make the playoff is unreasonable.
Welp if you don't shoot for it, you will never make it. Because others haven't done it, we shouldn't go for it. That would be a loser mentality. Fortunately many people are able to juggle both and have big expectations like the CFP yet still be fully satisfied at the end when it doesn't happen and we still win the Big 12. Of course it's freaking hard and the chances are so slim we EVER make the CFP. But with a top-10 team and everyone returning how dare we dream of that potential chance?!?!?!

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I used to love this game growing up. My fawning over it started dwindling after realizing you couldn't go to Iowa City wearing Cardinal and Gold without being harassed. I completely fell out of love with it this year after my girlfriend and her friend had two Hawk fans walk through our tailgate and pour piss warm beer down their faces, completely unprovoked. I hate what that week turns people into.
I would have fed them their own teeth.

• Winner
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Welp if you don't shoot for it, you will never make it. Because others haven't done it, we shouldn't go for it. That would be a loser mentality. Fortunately many people are able to juggle both and have big expectations like the CFP yet still be fully satisfied at the end when it doesn't happen and we still win the Big 12. Of course it's freaking hard and the chances are so slim we EVER make the CFP. But with a top-10 team and everyone returning how dare we dream of that potential chance?!?!?!

Yes, this is what we're talking about, and it is obviously not the case given the one loss.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Yes, this is what we're talking about, and it is obviously not the case given the one loss.
Huh? I am genuinely perplexed. You and several others are arguing with yourself at this point. Literally everyone has agreed with the statement you bolded. We all would be fully fulfilled with a Big 12 title and Sugar Bowl win this year. The CFP was and will always be the extra cherry on top should it ever happen.

Again both things can and are true. The loss to Iowa sucked because it virtually ended our chance at the CFP in Week 2 and to our rival nonetheless. But no real rational Iowa State fan is going to actually declare the season anything but the best time they have ever had should our guys win out from here. I will be ecstatic, then when the dust settles I will look back and say, "Man that season was one for the ages. The Iowa loss stings because it cost us something none of us ever dreamed of, but man that season was everything I could ask for."

• Agree
Reactions: ChrisMWilliams

ClonesInDallas

Dec 16, 2020
I would have fed them their own teeth.

Trust me I wanted the chance to but she wouldn't tell me until they had dispersed into the rest of the haunted forest. She knew it either would have ended in me and our friends beating the **** out of them, getting an assault charge or us getting our ass beat. No winners in that situation but damn its hard to swallow your pride in that situation.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I’ve kinda gotten the feeling that some of our fans saying the Iowa game doesn’t matter is their way with coping with the fact we just can’t beat them lately anymore and everyone knows it. After next year Campbell will be 0-6 against them. One of the best things I’ve always liked about college football is that every game matters. Even though we aren’t in the same conference, it still helps our bowl situation at the end of the year. We need to figure out how to win the Iowa game once in awhile because that game does matter.

With that said, some of you might want to brace yourselves. Baylor is not going to be easy. Wins in Waco have never come easy. Have we improved yet after 3 weeks enough? Hard to say, but Saturday is a big one.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Trust me I wanted the chance to but she wouldn't tell me until they had dispersed into the rest of the haunted forest. She knew it either would have ended in me and our friends beating the **** out of them, getting an assault charge or us getting our ass beat. No winners in that situation but damn its hard to swallow your pride in that situation.
Ya the barbarian inside doesn't care about logic in the moment.

• Agree
Reactions: ClonesInDallas

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Huh? I am genuinely perplexed. You and several others are arguing with yourself at this point. Literally everyone has agreed with the statement you bolded. We all would be fully fulfilled with a Big 12 title and Sugar Bowl win this year. The CFP was and will always be the extra cherry on top should it ever happen.

Again both things can and are true. The loss to Iowa sucked because it virtually ended our chance at the CFP in Week 2 and to our rival nonetheless. But no real rational Iowa State fan is going to actually declare the season anything but the best time they have ever had should our guys win out from here. I will be ecstatic, then when the dust settles I will look back and say, "Man that season was one for the ages. The Iowa loss stings because it cost us something none of us ever dreamed of, but man that season was everything I could ask for."

Absolutely false if you've read any of this thread and the posting that started this thread.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I get that last year we were really close to the playoff, but some of you are completely ignoring that so many teams didn’t play a full schedule. Some managed to only play 5 games all year. 9-3 this year won’t put us near as close to the playoff as last years 9-3. Going 7-1 and winning the ccg is possible, but I wouldn’t place the odds of that happening very high.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I'm fine with ditching the Hoks game. If anything, it will be nice not seeing the Hok douches walking through the parking lot carrying their 12 packs of warm PBR before the game with no intention of actually buying a ticket to get in.