Will the Iowa State Fair happen this year?

Will the Iowa state fair happen in 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 84 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 177 58.0%
  • I will not be going if it does open because of COVID-19

Votes: 44 14.4%

• Total voters

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Not a chance. They will need the fairgrounds for the large morgue and crematorium we will need after the second round of the virus hits.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Piggybacking the question. For those who say it won’t happen do you also believe Iowa State will cancel it’s football season? Because 50,000 people at Jack Trice are more tightly packed than 100,000 at the state fair
ISU will play in an empty stadium.

I dont think some of you realize how long large, densely packed events are going to be banned.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Hope so, but I'm starting to doubt it.

If it does go on as scheduled, I'll probably go a few times instead of my usual one visit. Thing I don't like is having to deal with the crowds, and people will still be scared of the virus so that'll keep the crowds down.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I don't think the fair happens, and I don't think college football happens without modifications to schedule or a no fans approach.

Honestly when it comes to large events, be glad if we are able to have fans present for basketball season. Its entirely possible large events like that arent a thing until we get a vaccine even if everything else is back to relative normalcy

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
How do you eat a corn dog with a mask on?
61WgDKizJJL._AC_UL1100_.jpg

Reactions: cyfanatic

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Polk County is one of 22 Counties not yet opened up, plus cases are surging in Polk County, until we open up the County the Fair is in I find it hard to believe it is going to happen. Plus, with the restrictions on restaurants, vendors at the fair cannot operate under current guidelines even in the reopened counties. I just do not see it happening it is a huge risk if it goes ahead.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Plus I think the said today a decision would be made by Mid June. Tells me if they had to decide by today the answer would be a big NO....

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I imagine most events will wait another month or so, assuming they don't have a big financial outlay between now and then. I think the ones we've seen cancel probably were to the point they'd have to start spending money they couldn't afford to spend if there was any chance they wouldn't be able to have their event.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
My guess is it happens with MANY modifications, such as no concerts, no rides, limited food, etc.

Varied Industries building would have to be locked up and empty. You'd be almost guaranteed to get sick walking through that place during the pandemic.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Where is the “I don’t care as I don’t go” option?

I quit caring once they stopped the racing and tractor pulls. Nothing really changes except for higher prices and what can we fry this year.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
I know Wapello County has already cancelled their fair. Anyone know of any others cancelled?
If there are no or little county fairs, there is that much less of a reason to even have the state fair.

HARMCYN

Jan 20, 2012
Cambridge, IA
I can see a version that exists that is strictly for the 4H/FFA projects to still be exhibited that kids have had purchased going back to last Fall. These would be easy to police in terms of social distancing and would have very limited spectators. I think something like the open beef and sheep show would hopefully happen as well as some folks livelyhoods do actually rely on those events.

These events would be easy to still do with social distancing and not being open to the public.

I know talking with a few folks who are on local fairboards that they are waiting to make alot of those decisions until July (For a July 20 Fair). One was on a zoom call with Gary Slater and the Iowa Fair Association last week and the State Fair is making their call June 15.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
You'd think a decision has to be made one way or another in the coming few weeks or so. Will be instructive on what happens with college football starting up in Iowa soon after...
Fair officials have said, all along, a decision will happen by mid-June.

Reactions: cygrads

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron