Will McDonald IV – Iowa State

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Everyone knows that there is a gap between talent and production. Some bridge that gap.

I always said that Irving had the raw talent to leave early for the NFL. Well, he left early. And he wound up in the NFL. So...I was right?

Reggie Hayward was a good player at ISU, but nothing like what he did the NFL. And Jason Berryman had some terrific production at ISU, and did nothing in the NFL.

Irving at ISU was like a high schooler who's talented but doesn't really have a great fit for a position.

With some NFL coaching and time to fill out he looked night and day when with the Cowboys.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I kinda like those uni’s.
They were awesome...until they had to put those god awful white numbers on the front. That ruined them, wish they could’ve just done no numbers on the front or maybe small numbers on the collar.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Berryman vs TCU is still the most dominant game I can remember an ISU player having.
Agreed. His game against Iowa that year was the most dominant I’ve seen without recording a tackle. His only stat that game was a fumble recovery on a bad snap, but he was insanely disruptive the entire game. Him and Dobbins were hitting Tate (then Manson once Tater decided to stop Steve Paris with his helmet) every dropback. Definitely got into the heads of the QB’s.

Reactions: Aclone and CYCLNST8

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I must have read the post incorrectly lol. I just thought you meant at any position

He’s saying the NFL doesn’t draft many RB’s in the first round any more.
VAaBpei.gif

• Haha
Reactions: cyclones12321

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Everyone knows that there is a gap between talent and production. Some bridge that gap.

I always said that Irving had the raw talent to leave early for the NFL. Well, he left early. And he wound up in the NFL. So...I was right?

Reggie Hayward was a good player at ISU, but nothing like what he did the NFL. And Jason Berryman had some terrific production at ISU, and did nothing in the NFL.

Not sure I agree with the view on Reggie Hayward. He started smaller as a DE at ~20lbs, but played over 250 as a senior and had a very dominant season as he was big enough to stuff the run and quick enough to get to the QB. He had 7 sacks his senior season, and at one time was in the top 3 all time for ISU. He did have 8.5 sacks or more (high of 10.5 one year) three consecutive years in the NFL, but their season is longer. He stuck there 9 years too, but I wouldn't say his NFL star power was that much different than his ISU star power, at least as a senior when he was big enough.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

What could have been...

Lol good grief Irving was not the best pass rusher ISU has had in a decade.

He had the POTENTIAL to be, but definitely was not in the time he spent here.
I concur, I seem to recall going long stretches between games where he made significant impact. Potential was always there though.
Irving wasn’t effective as a DE. Basically in two years at DE he had the TCU play and a whole bunch of ineffectiveness.

He and Coe came on late his Jr. year and they were both very good together inside. But what could’ve been a great following year of course didn’t happen.

In the end Irving basically had 1/2 season of good play and 2 1/2 years of being very underwhelming. He’d flash occasionally, but I could name many guys that were better DL at ISU.
Our most talented pass rusher had a career 3 sacks in 32 games? Yikes
Looks like Irving may still have "potential" with the Raiders (or other)? He has been reinstated by NFL. https://justblogbaby.com/2020/10/18/david-irving-perfect-fit-raiders/

One of Irving's vices, cannabis. Personally I've got no problem w NFL players wanting or using cannabis. It likely is a great pain relief treatment for injuries, aches/pains. Irving however still has a lot to prove that the weed (or other demons) don't control him. Maybe he makes it again in NFL, maybe not?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Not sure I agree with the view on Reggie Hayward. He started smaller as a DE at ~20lbs, but played over 250 as a senior and had a very dominant season as he was big enough to stuff the run and quick enough to get to the QB. He had 7 sacks his senior season, and at one time was in the top 3 all time for ISU. He did have 8.5 sacks or more (high of 10.5 one year) three consecutive years in the NFL, but their season is longer. He stuck there 9 years too, but I wouldn't say his NFL star power was that much different than his ISU star power, at least as a senior when he was big enough.

Yeah, not sure what the idea of Hayward not being that great at ISU came from. In the 25 years of the Big 12 (and I'll assume many years prior in the Big 8), ISU's had exactly one first team all Big 12 defensive end, and that was Hayward. As a reference, in 2005 Berryman was Honorable Mention. Looks like that trend will change, but Reggie was not some under the radar guy in college.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Yeah, not sure what the idea of Hayward not being that great at ISU came from. In the 25 years of the Big 12 (and I'll assume many years prior in the Big 8), ISU's had exactly one first team all Big 12 defensive end, and that was Hayward. As a reference, in 2005 Berryman was Honorable Mention. Looks like that trend will change, but Reggie was not some under the radar guy in college.
Who said he was “not that great”? As I said, he was good, he was all conference, but he wasn’t an All American or a first round draft choice. He was no Myles Garrett or Chase Young, pick your favorite college stud DE from an endless list.

Putting on muscle in the NFL helped him a lot. And given the level of competition, 8.5/10.5/8.5 sacks three consecutive years in the NFL is better production than he had in college.

CycloneVet917

Jul 9, 2020
Who said he was “not that great”? As I said, he was good, he was all conference, but he wasn’t an All American or a first round draft choice. He was no Myles Garrett or Chase Young, pick your favorite college stud DE from an endless list.

Putting on muscle in the NFL helped him a lot. And given the level of competition, 8.5/10.5/8.5 sacks three consecutive years in the NFL is better production than he had in college.

Well said, sometimes we forget how many good defensive ends there have been in college football. Hayward was fun to watch tho

Reactions: Aclone