NBA: Will LeBron James play for Miami next year?

Will Lebron play for Miami next year?

• Yes

Votes: 54 46.2%
  • No, he will sign with another team

Votes: 63 53.8%

• Total voters

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
Even if he wants to leave Miami, it makes more sense to do it next year, there's no ideal landing spot for next year. If he wants to go back to Cleveland, might as well take another year in Miami and see who they draft, who they hire and how it all plays out. Miami is actually not in a bad cap situation going forward. They have hardly any money tied up in role players after this year, and with the cap expected to really grow in the next few years, they actually have a decent amount of flexibility to surround the big three with younger guys. Bosh has spent the last four years tailoring his game to be the perfect sidekick for LeBron, Wade is no longer an MVP candidate but he's still one of the better two guards out there and unless he goes to the Spurs, he's not going to find a better organization (owner/front office/coaching staff) out there than Miami.

Miami is likely well over the cap to start next season if none of the three opt out and Haslem and Anderson take their player options. It leaves a team of Norris Cole, Chris Anderson, Udonis Haslem, Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh and LeBron James @ ~$70mil. That means they will only be able to sign played with exceptions. They don't have their biannual exception. They will get the taxpayer mid level exception (about $3mil/year). And they will have Bird rights in some form on most current players. They are going to have to fill their roster primarily with veteran min, drafted rookies, and/or current players.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
The next question is what team will Cyjack bandwagon for if LeBron leaves.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Miami is likely well over the cap to start next season if none of the three opt out and Haslem and Anderson take their player options. It leaves a team of Norris Cole, Chris Anderson, Udonis Haslem, Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh and LeBron James @ ~$70mil. That means they will only be able to sign played with exceptions. They don't have their biannual exception. They will get the taxpayer mid level exception (about $3mil/year). And they will have Bird rights in some form on most current players. They are going to have to fill their roster primarily with veteran min, drafted rookies, and/or current players.

Miami also a $2.2M trade exception it got in the Joel Anthony trade and the actual salary cap isn't the real important number, it's the tax threshold number which is supposed to be around $77M next year and the cap will take a much bigger jump the following season. I wouldn't be surprised if both Bosh and Wade opt out and take slight paycuts. But yes, the Heat are always going to have to rely on guys taking discounts to play there

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
The next question is what team will Cyjack bandwagon for if LeBron leaves.

I don't know, I really liked the Phoenix teams when D'Antonio was there. Maybe Golden St? I'm interested to see what Kerr does there. I've always been a huge NBA bandwagon fan. Lifelong Bears and Cubs fan but never had an NBA team like that.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Wade is really hurting the Heat. They can't afford to pay him what they are next year if they get the same production as this year. Of course he isn't going to want to leave LeBron. I've never liked Melo but I think if they could trade Wade for Melo it would be a pretty decent move (obviously NY wouldn't like that trade). Bosh is a perfect teammate for LeBron.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Wade is really hurting the Heat. They can't afford to pay him what they are next year if they get the same production as this year. Of course he isn't going to want to leave LeBron. I've never liked Melo but I think if they could trade Wade for Melo it would be a pretty decent move (obviously NY wouldn't like that trade). Bosh is a perfect teammate for LeBron.

Ive had doubts about the way bosh plays in the past, but the way he's shot lately, bombs away man.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
Miami also a $2.2M trade exception it got in the Joel Anthony trade and the actual salary cap isn't the real important number, it's the tax threshold number which is supposed to be around $77M next year and the cap will take a much bigger jump the following season. I wouldn't be surprised if both Bosh and Wade opt out and take slight paycuts. But yes, the Heat are always going to have to rely on guys taking discounts to play there

Yeah, I forgot about trade exceptions. It looks like they have $3mil in trade exceptions. (Roger Mason + Joel Anthony) They will be over the tax threshold barring a change in Bosh's, Wade's or James' contract. The only way I see Bosh or Wade taking less is if they get a longer deal, in a win now at the cost of the future mentality. Which is perfectly acceptable with a championship caliber team.

I still don't see James leaving for any other team this off season.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
LeBron is trying to win championships and trying to enhance his legacy, he's not going to waste years of his prime going back to the Cavs and deal with a bad team.

All three will stay in Miami. Bosh has already said he wants to stay, D-Wade isn't leaving now after spending his whole career in South Beach. It makes no sense for LeBron to leave

Maybe not, but the Heat's window is going to close pretty soon. Wade and Allen aren't getting any younger; take those two out and what do you have left? A bunch of role players and Bosh.

Personally, I think his fate will be decided by two things. 1.) The outcome of this year's Finals. If they lose this one, it could be a sign that this group's peak is behind them. 2.) Kevin Love. If Love lands someplace where the team also has the money to bring in LeBron, that would be pretty tempting. That's the kind of place where LeBron could take a long-term deal and know he's going to have a superstar, who is only at the beginning of his prime, at his side for the duration (barring injury). He's not likely to have that in Miami.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Maybe not, but the Heat's window is going to close pretty soon. Wade and Allen aren't getting any younger; take those two out and what do you have left? A bunch of role players and Bosh.

Personally, I think his fate will be decided by two things. 1.) The outcome of this year's Finals. If they lose this one, it could be a sign that this group's peak is behind them. 2.) Kevin Love. If Love lands someplace where the team also has the money to bring in LeBron, that would be pretty tempting. That's the kind of place where LeBron could take a long-term deal and know he's going to have a superstar, who is only at the beginning of his prime, at his side for the duration (barring injury). He's not likely to have that in Miami.

So you think LeBron's best route to winning more championships is by teaming up with a guy who has been in the league six years and hasn't even been to a playoff game? That's some interesting logic there.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Was just reading on ESPN that the Heat are looking to bring Carmelo to South Beach. Unreal if that happens. They did mention that Anderson and a couple others would have to have a reduction in salary for that to happen.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Unless they draft Kane. I somewhat kidding but I honestly do think Kane could give them what Wade does for production at the 1. Even if it isn't Carmelo, go out and get some sort of solid wing and you still have a legitimate team. That roster is also incredibly flexible. A good guard is out there? You can go get him. A good big is out there? You can go get him. Kane can play the one or the two and the best part is that his skillset is very similar to Wade.

Also, Ray Allen looks like he has some left in the tank and Lewis is at worst a decent, cheap shooter who will stay just to win.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
So you think LeBron's best route to winning more championships is by teaming up with a guy who has been in the league six years and hasn't even been to a playoff game? That's some interesting logic there.

Because Minnesota's roster isn't below average and they don't play in the ******* loaded Western Conference.

Oh wait.....

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Because Minnesota's roster isn't below average and they don't play in the ******* loaded Western Conference.

Oh wait.....

So if you're LeBron and you're one goal is to win championships and you're looking at Bosh and Love, you've been through an entire regular season worth of playoff battles with Bosh as your sidekick, he's a much. much better defender than Love, he's a better shooter than Love from everywhere on the floor except from 3 point range, and he's shooting 40% from 3 this postseason, you're going to leave that to go play with a guy who has been in exactly zero playoff games in his career?

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
There is absolutely zero honor in the route Lebron took to a championship. Probably one of the least honorable. If he goes out and forms yet another all star team, it would be an utter disgrace to the NBA.