Will ISU change their mind on fans in the stands?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The state of Iowa has "uncontrollable spread" of Covid right now.

I said earlier today that I think you could put between 10-15k fans in JTS safely. So I'm not against fans being there at all.

I'm just saying that JP faces a PR nightmare trying to allow fans when this state has been nothing short of a total s**t show. If he wants to stand on something as a reason why having fans is okay now.... he doesn't really have one is all I'm saying. This state has not, and obviously will not, do what it's going to take to lower the numbers so that JP could point to that as a reason why it's okay to have fans.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I said earlier today that I think you could put between 10-15k fans in JTS safely. So I'm not against fans being there at all.

I'm just saying that JP faces a PR nightmare trying to allow fans when this state has been nothing short of a total s**t show. If he wants to stand on something as a reason why having fans is okay now.... he doesn't really have one is all I'm saying. This state has not, and obviously will not, do what it's going to take to lower the numbers so that JP could point to that as a reason why it's okay to have fans.

Who has a 'controllable' spread?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Maybe it is like the forest department doing a controlled burn. They introduce Covid to a population in a small area to wall off other parts of the country from it?

Do they have people surrounding it from all sides or just kind of hope the wind is out of a certain direction?

Reactions: BCClone

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Well - I agree with you. This should not be a surprise, nor should it have taken the CDC so long to acknowledge it.

This aerosol droplet debate has only gone on about a100 years, amazing how little we really know. There should be fans. The great success of students returning proves more normalcy would be better. We can't hide in a hole forever. Europe is once again finding that out, just can't sustain these crippling policies forever, and once they are eased or people get so sick of them, things resume only now you are unemployed.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
As many times as they're told. Watch what worked in every other country and it's not confusing at all.

Sorry have you looked at France, UK, Spain, India, etc. lately. Exponential growth again. Most every country is facing the same thing, and many are doing much worse than the US. The Pacific rim is doing better, but my guess is they have a much higher resistance due to previous exposure to similar Chinese Coronavirus's. Too much of a coincidence that the majority of the countries that are seemingly able to contain the virus are in a specific region.

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
Sorry have you looked at France, UK, Spain, India, etc. lately. Exponential growth again. Most every country is facing the same thing, and many are doing much worse than the US. The Pacific rim is doing better, but my guess is they have a much higher resistance due to previous exposure to similar Chinese Coronavirus's. Too much of a coincidence that the majority of the countries that are seemingly able to contain the virus are in a specific region.

Or don't report the correct statistics.

kcbob79clone

Maybe it is like the forest department doing a controlled burn. They introduce Covid to a population in a small area to wall off other parts of the country from it?

Reminds me of college when I was on the Residence Hall Judicial Board. We had a case where a fellow student set an unauthorized fire. Smart alec in my asked just what was an authorized fire?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Of course JP is pushing for fans. He probably needs to be pushing more for Iowans to wear masks and social distance if he really wants fans though. Iowa continues to be a total disaster with Covid.... and as long as that is the case, JP will have a tough time making his case.
What is going on with Iowa now statistically vs. other States, regarding Covid? Is it that much worse?

I thought Iowans were supposed to be smart? Ignoring the threat by too many, resistant to wearing masks?

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

Perhaps a better word is "uncontrolled."

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I've been to 3 of my larger racing events the past 3 weekends and there haven't been any outbreaks from them and 99% of the people are maskless and not social distancing.
I’m not sure where the narrative that the state is doing so poorly right now is coming from. Iowa is sub 1 in Rt right now, and has been for a while.
What is going on with Iowa now statistically vs. other States, regarding Covid? Is it that much worse?

I thought Iowans were supposed to be smart? Ignoring the threat by too many, resistant to wearing masks?
Good to know Iowa (or any State) is getting to 1 or sub 1. That's what we need.

Regarding isuufbcurt post above... I know all of us are tired of this outbreak and want things to return to normal. I just think that we as a collective, have to do all we can to minimize the Covid risk. And while going to three racing events, as you say over the past 3 weeks, and most were not following Covid guidelines, that to me just seems like a slap in the face to others of us who are atleast trying a little harder to do the right thing.

It's a pain in the ass yes to wear a mask and continue social distancing, but this is hopefully just a short-term crisis for another 6-12 months (fingers crossed), maybe less with a good vaccine? It is not that hard to atleast try to follow the guidelines. Atleast not flaunt that it is an OK thing not to? Just sayin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.