Will In-State Recruits leave?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

kilroy

Jun 10, 2010
hills to flat lands
There has been a mass exodus of home grown talent during ISU and EUI down time, and really who could blame them,

So with the rise of the Hoiberg era and EIU showing some life, as long as the coaches are here to stay, anybody think the State of Iowa will lose any home recruits that we want?

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I don't see us wanting any home grown Iowa talent any time soon. And that is perfectly Ok with me. Especially with Jerry Myles moving to Kansas.

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
First the state has to produce another good player, doesn't seem to be many on the horizon.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The instate HDL kids (Hoiball Developmental League) seem to be universally excited for a chance to move from Indian Hills to ISU.

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
There is a freshmen at Valley that could be good, but with Horner there he would probably be a hawk lean.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The instate HDL kids (Hoiball Developmental League) seem to be universally excited for a chance to move from Indian Hills to ISU.
I really do like the Indian Hills connection.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Sioux City is on lockdown, but that's old news.

When I was an 80's kid Sioux City was probably 45% Huskers, 45% Hawkeyes, 10% Cyclones...and I'm being very generous to ISU because I never actually knew a Cyclone fan until high school while I knew so many kids on the playgrounds waxing poetic on the greatness of Osborne and Fry (I was an Iowa fan myself until college).

Now I'd say it's 50% Hawkeyes, 25% Cyclones, 25% Huskers. My last few trips back home I'd almost say ISU fans outnumber Huskers for the first time judging by gear I see on people and for sale, license plates, yard flags...etc.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Every individual recruit is different and depending on that players opinion will choose to go instate. It isn't as simple as having a good program meaning all recruits will just stay home.
Look at the state of Michigan last year, both in-state schools were in the top 25 all year and traditional power houses in basketball and their was a lot of top HS talent graduating.

Monte Morris came to ISU, James Young went to UK and Walton Jr. went to Michigan. 1 for 3 yet both Michigan and MSU are doing just fine.

IF the OP's question is whether ISU or Iowa can now justify in state talent staying home the answer is yes, which probably wasn't the case 5 years ago. Top 100 players will go to the best situation for them in state or out of state if they have the option.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
They have that pipeline, we have Hogue and McKay and the next guy. I'll take it!

Exactly. Fred wants the best players available and he'll recruit nationally to go after them. He's not going to feel obligated to recruit in state stiffs that are overhyped locally...leave that to Fran If another Harrison Barnes or Nick Collison comes along, then Fred will go after them.

MO4ISU

Feb 27, 2013
IA
Exactly. Fred wants the best players available and he'll recruit nationally to go after them. He's not going to feel obligated to recruit in state stiffs that are overhyped locally...leave that to Fran If another Harrison Barnes or Nick Collison comes along, then Fred will go after them.
This

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
If we're getting players from out of state that are better than the players in state, who cares? Why is it so important to certain people that we get the best players in state even at the expense of diluting the talent on our team?