Will Fred Hoiberg be head coach of ISU basketball someday?

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
This. Has anything Fred has ever done in his career after ISU shown that he even has an interest in coaching? I know he has done some front office type work, but that is pretty far from coaching. Maybe he would want to come back and work in the AD.

I think he is still pretty involved with ISU...I see him around pretty frequently.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
He and hornacek both need to be working on building their experience and resume's so we are able to call on either of them someday.

Hoiberg is VP of Basketball Operations for the Minnesota Timberwolves -- he is building his resume, he's just building it as an adminstrator, not as a coach. If we call on him he would make an excellent AD for us someday. Maybe someday soon.

hursts

Apr 10, 2006
This. Has anything Fred has ever done in his career after ISU shown that he even has an interest in coaching? I know he has done some front office type work, but that is pretty far from coaching. Maybe he would want to come back and work in the AD.
Hoiberg was on record after the McDermott hire that he would be interested in being involved in Cyclone basketball.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Hoiberg is VP of Basketball Operations for the Minnesota Timberwolves -- he is building his resume, he's just building it as an adminstrator, not as a coach. If we call on him he would make an excellent AD for us someday. Maybe someday soon.

You would love that wouldn't you?

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
I love Hoiberg and Hornacek! Absolutely love these guys! However, need to be careful. The situation reminds me of Clyde Drexler. With no previous coaching experience he took the helm at his alma mater, the University of Houston and went 19-37 in two years ('98/'99 and '99/'00) before resigning. He is now a color commentator for the Houston Rockets.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I think he has a better chance of being the AD some day with his front office expirience before he would a head coach without any actual head coaching expirience right now.

Clonebydesign

Jul 21, 2009
Ames
Fred comeing back would be a hard thing. If things didnt work out it tarnishes his great image in this town. I for one dont want to see that happen.

Reactions: CyGuy33

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I say no on Horny and Fred. Neither applied last time around and I don't think they want the job.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA

/looks at the Timberwolves record/

I say a big no.

ce1

Mar 23, 2006
Minnesota
I don't see it happening, ever.

There's a big difference between the way a professional program is run and the way a college program is run. Academics, recruiting, evaluation, AAU coaches, scholarship planning, unruly parents, etc. If you want to eventually be a college coach, you need to grow up, from a coaching standpoint, in the college coaching business, so you have both a grasp of the tasks BESIDES coaching, as well as the connections to the prep-school power brokers.

Outside of Larry Brown, i don't know who has moved from the pro ranks to college, and been successful. And Larry Brown was pretty well-connected to the college scene, thanks to his UNC background, prior to going to KU.

Bottom line...i can't imagine Fred (or Hornacek) wants to commit to the grinding lifestyle of college coaching after being where they've been. They've got families and good jobs, and more than likely not much tolerance for sleazy AAU coaches and shoe reps. And i really don't want either of them coaching ISU without putting in the work it takes to recruit at the high D1 level.

Help Support Us

Become a patron