Will Covid reduce or eliminate fans even more at our remaining home games.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I know JP quite well. I said he stumbled early, but got us to a good place. Originally, he said he would not enforce the wearing of masks. I felt that was wrong and said so. He reversed course (nothing to do with me). Good for him. It was never that hard to do.

I think the CYS thing was handled extremely badly. I am not a professor, nor a member of the Ames community. I do know a lot of people who were very upset over his comments. I thought they were unnecessary, inflammatory and inappropriate. I think he burned some bridges that could have been left standing.
He came across as a kid who says - you break my toy and I will break yours. IMO, he could have simply said - future events at CYS will cancelled do to CV. During this time we will evaluate the ongoing financial situation of the facility. I know many people who feel like he was just trying to “get even.”
I like JP. I think he is an outstanding AD. He has been very good to me. You will never bat 100%, especially when your job is critiqued by tens of thousands.
As far as I can tell, I think ISU sports are doing a great job with CV. I led with that.
Just trying to explain my thoughts, since you asked.

Agreed on everything in this post.

• Agree
Reactions: Trice

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I have been to 2 games and honestly have felt safer than a stop to a local convenience store or to get groceries. I have been really surprised at how well some of the drunks in our area have been behaved. You could easily go to the game and not get within 6 feet of someone at any point.
Not to mention almost all the evidence points to very low risk of transmission outdoors. Not having fans was inevitable just from a P.R. standpoint, nothing more.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Yeah, i've definitely been on the side of err on the side of caution, but I actually thought we were handling it quite well and would not have had an issue with them continuing as prior. But hard to blame them for making this call with what things are like right now.

Agreed. I suspect this is more about sending a message to the public as it is for health concerns at this event itself.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone and aauummm

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Virtue signaling. Everything about this screams optics. It is what it is, but don't tell me this leads to less transmission of the virus. If anything, this will lead to more people watching it indoors and indoors has been shown to lead to higher level of transmission.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Agreed. I suspect this is more about sending a message to the public as it is for health concerns at this event itself.
Yep. And I get it. But it really sucks for those who would be there like myself and been responsible.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Not to mention almost all the evidence points to very low risk of transmission outdoors. Not having fans was inevitable just from a P.R. standpoint, nothing more.
First - the right call.
Second - agree, PR a big part of decision

- but, I continue to believe that the pre and post game activities are the biggest problem, not the game attendance itself. Ames may not want all the restaurants and bars filled to capacity (whatever that is under Kim’s strange guidelines that will not be enforced) with out of town drunks.

• Dumb
Reactions: pdxclone

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Virtue signaling. Everything about this screams optics. It is what it is, but don't tell me this leads to less transmission of the virus. If anything, this will lead to more people watching it indoors and indoors has been shown to lead to higher level of transmission.

I can't roll my eyes hard enough at dumb "virtue signaling" language, but I'll bite. We're very clearly at a place where people need to be virtuous, and whether it's "signaled" or geninue really doesn't make a bit of difference.

If everyone were a fraction as stringent in their every day lives as they're required to be to attend an ISU game, we wouldn't be here. But they aren't, and so we are.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
First - the right call.

- but, I continue to believe that the pre and post game activities are the biggest problem, not the game attendance itself. Ames may not want all the restaurants and bars filled to capacity (whatever that is under Kim’s strange guidelines that will not be enforced) with out of town drunks.
Have you been to Ames for a game this year?

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Have there been any confirmed cases from games this year? From what I've heard things have been under control and everyone has followed guidelines. I would agree that it seems like this is for optics

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Read this. Iowa frequently mentioned. Somebody has to do something since Kim won’t.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
First - the right call.

Have you been to a game this year? Ames is not overflowing with out of town drunks and restaurants are certainly not capacity. You wouldn’t know there was a game being in Ames

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I wasn't going this week anyway due to the rain. Hopefully, things get better - so we can go to the WVU Game and celebrate sending the boys off to the Big Xii Championship Game!
One thing that hasn’t been asked much is will our field even be playable for the WVU game? The only other December game at the Jack was Drake and that game should not have been played due to field conditions. I would hope the game ends up in Cedar Falls but we’ll see what happens.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
This sucks. A bunch of college athletes have done a better job of monitoring themselves than adults in public. If you're an isu fan and haven't adjusted your behavior, you've let your own team down since now we can't support in person.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I suppose JP has to go this route but this is the least of the issues right now.

What's hard about 'Hey, don't hang out with a crowd of non household members indoors'?

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
One thing that hasn’t been asked much is will our field even be playable for the WVU game? The only other December game at the Jack was Drake and that game should not have been played due to field conditions. I would hope the game ends up in Cedar Falls but we’ll see what happens.
That would be interesting. I wonder if they will allow some of the season ticket holders access to the game @ UNI Dome?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
This sucks. A bunch of college athletes have done a better job of monitoring themselves than adults in public. If you're an isu fan and haven't adjusted your behavior, you've let your own team down since now we can't support in person.
There’s some truth in there but that’s quite a broad brush there bud.

• Agree
Reactions: cstrunk and BCClone

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

I think the field conditions had less to do with the date but more to do with the horrible weather.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron