Wife of former Drake assistant is scum

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Oh I realize embezzlement is uncommon. It's more of an issue with the "admin" costs.

I'm as much of a capitalist pig as the next guy, but I don't appreciate charities with 50% admin costs.

Not to say I'm anti-charity. Quite the opposite. Just be careful who you give money to.

I get that, but I will counter with that it does cost money to run a charitable organization. If you want good people in those positions you are going to have to pay them, just because it's a charity doesn't mean you'll work for a discount. Most have good Board of Directors in place that have to approve the higher ranking employees wages so I figure if the Board approves it then at least it is being checked.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I understand your sentiment but I have performed financial statement audits for numerous charitable organizations and most are run appropriately and don't have stuff like this happening.

I feel a bit sorry for the companies that try to sneak something past you during an audit. I suspect that you aren't gentle with your opinion letters in those situations!

• Haha
Reactions: isufbcurt

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Unfortunately fraud/embezzlement doesn't warrant tough sentences.

The guy who defrauded $3.6 million from Vermeer only served like 6 months. It was investigated by the FBI and was a Federal case since it involved a fake business in Florida.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and BigCyFan

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I feel a bit sorry for the companies that try to sneak something past you during an audit. I suspect that you aren't gentle with your opinion letters in those situations!

Unfortunately or Fortunately the opinion letters are pretty much a standard template and you just fill in any issues that were found.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Unfortunately or Fortunately the opinion letters are pretty much a standard template and you just fill in any issues that were found.

Try to convince me that you don't find a way to sneak some edginess into the opinion letter!

"In its amortization of equipment costs, this company is Financially Unprofessional."

• Haha

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
This is going to sound more like defending her than I want to, but that family has an extremely ill child. Sometimes people in that situation develop a lot of mental problems. Add to that, a husband whose career is dependent on college kids winning basketball games and a person can see why someone might lose it. And 40,000 is a lot of money, but not a huge amount as far as fraud cases go.
The difficult part is it's a charity for kids, she kind of knows what it's like, and her husband makes great money and probably has great insurance.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This is going to sound more like defending her than I want to, but that family has an extremely ill child. Sometimes people in that situation develop a lot of mental problems. Add to that, a husband whose career is dependent on college kids winning basketball games and a person can see why someone might lose it. And 40,000 is a lot of money, but not a huge amount as far as fraud cases go.

The fact that she probably didn’t need that money and took it anyway is the big red flag for me. Doesn’t really matter if it’s $10 or $40k.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Put her in a dunk tank outside in January, with some liquid salt brine filling the tank. Let all the make-a-wish kids, their families, friends, and local little league teams take turns knocking off her perch until their arms are sore.
No screen though. Knock her off by plunking her in the forehead with a heater.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006

… and my grandson was selected as a Make A Wish Kid. To listen to speakers and experience first hand his hardships (as well as his families).

I can understand her situation, when husband may be traveling. However, she abused her situation.

You do the crime, you do the time.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
IMO fines and restitution are better served here. She's not violent and no previous convictions so no reason to spend taxpayer money to house her.

First degree theft in Iowa carries a max of 10 years jail time. She plead to 2 counts plus another felony with a 10 year max. Justice is not blind in our country.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Things like this are fairly uncommon. What I am more concerned about is organizations that spend most of their budgets on "administration" versus mission fulfillment. A great example of this is USSSA for youth sports. Freaking scam of scams.
The CEO and general administration salaries in non profits is crazy. They do very little proportionally to what they take in on a nationwide scale, Support local charities whenever possible.

• Disagree

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
The CEO and general administration salaries in non profits is crazy. They do very little proportionally to what they take in on a nationwide scale, Support local charities whenever possible.

I disagree. What you linked is leaders of National not for profits, meaning they oversee the entire countries system for that charity. That's a lot of responsibility and you aren't going to find someone on the cheap to run something like that. In fact I argue that a lot of those salaries are to low.

• Dumb
Reactions: jmb

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006

This is somewhat of an overly broad brush because there are MANY good non-profits but it is rife with shady "stuff".

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
I disagree. What you linked is leaders of National not for profits, meaning they oversee the entire countries system for that charity. That's a lot of responsibility and you aren't going to find someone on the cheap to run something like that. In fact I argue that a lot of those salaries are to low.

A million bucks a year to run a non-profit is too low? Not buying it.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

She should still do jail time. A lot of people have a lot of issues. The very type of kid she has is the very type of kid she screwed over by taking money. Her husband also makes a lot of money.

Reactions: NWICY and JP4CY