Wide Receivers next year

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Let's say hypothetically Hakeem Butler is gone this year. We also lose Matt Eaton (6'4'') and Carson Epps (non-factor the last couple years).

I look at the WR who are left on the current roster and I instantly wonder who will replace our big physical receivers on the outside. Since Allen Lazard played his first down back in 2014, Iowa State has always had a large presence at the X and/or Z positions.

End of season depth chart shows Josh Johnson backing up Butler and Landon Akers on the other side behind Eaton. They are 5'11'' 183 and 6' 192 respectively, and I would not be surprised if both are below their marks in the weight category. Size wise they seem more like they'd be better suited to be slot guys. Obviously we have slot guys already in Milton and Jones. Perceptively we have another slot guy in the wings, Carson Schleker.

So my question is what happens next year? Who moves to the outside? I don't see Deshaunte ever moving away from the position he has had since he enrolled. Milton at 5'10'' while a bit on the small side, plays big and could have the most burst out of anyone in that WR group. Not sure if he's a great blocker or not. Don't know a whole lot about Johnson except that he was a 4 star recruit. In HS it looks like he was a decent Red Zone target with 8 TD's his junior year and 8 in an injury shortened senior season. But at 5'11'' I'm having a hard time envisioning him on the outside without knowing much about him, i.e. vertical, speed, strength. I like Akers a lot, although I'm really not sure about him starting. It just seems that we have more talented guys than him on the roster, not to sound too harsh.

Other guys that appear to have the body to play on the outside, and take over those spots from Butler and Eaton would be Joseph Scates, a 4-star guy with good offers, and Jalen Martin, whom I know people have been murmuring about the upside for some time now. You have to like his size at 6'3'' 211, he appears to have the physicality to make up for the loss of Butler and Eaton. You also wonder why he hasn't played more, and hasn't appeared on the depth chart very often, as a Redshirt So.

This years freshman class is interesting with Sean Shaw at 6'6'' 200. Had OK offers coming out of HS, 3 star guy. Not sure I see him contributing as early as next year, but maybe he'll surprise us. Best candidate IMO to replace the size and physicality we are losing at the position. Schleker is really fast, like I said earlier, probably the slot guy of the future. Tory Spears is on the roster, don't know much about him, or if there is anything worth knowing.

In the incoming class, Darien Porter at 6'4'' is a guy that seems to have the right frame, but unless he's bulked up from his listed 165 lbs I would not expect anything from him as a true freshman.

I'm not sure if it's a big deal that we don't seem to have a bulldozer/mack truck wide receiver. Someone that can block effectively downfield, not get jammed at the line of scrimmage, win 50/50 balls etc. and I suppose you don't need to be 6'5''-6'6'' 200-220 lbs to do those things. We do have several TE's that fit the bulldozer/safety blanket category at least. Maybe I'm raising questions that don't need answered, but what can I say? We've been blessed with big WR's for the past half decade, and I just get a little nervous not seeing an obvious one on the roster for next year.

• Useful
Reactions: cyclones12321

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Let's say hypothetically Hakeem Butler is gone this year. We also lose Matt Eaton (6'4'') and Carson Epps (non-factor the last couple years).

I look at the WR who are left on the current roster and I instantly wonder who will replace our big physical receivers on the outside. Since Allen Lazard played his first down back in 2014, Iowa State has always had a large presence at the X and/or Z positions.

End of season depth chart shows Josh Johnson backing up Butler and Landon Akers on the other side behind Eaton. They are 5'11'' 183 and 6' 192 respectively, and I would not be surprised if both are below their marks in the weight category. Size wise they seem more like they'd be better suited to be slot guys. Obviously we have slot guys already in Milton and Jones. Perceptively we have another slot guy in the wings, Carson Schleker.

So my question is what happens next year? Who moves to the outside? I don't see Deshaunte ever moving away from the position he has had since he enrolled. Milton at 5'10'' while a bit on the small side, plays big and could have the most burst out of anyone in that WR group. Not sure if he's a great blocker or not. Don't know a whole lot about Johnson except that he was a 4 star recruit. In HS it looks like he was a decent Red Zone target with 8 TD's his junior year and 8 in an injury shortened senior season. But at 5'11'' I'm having a hard time envisioning him on the outside without knowing much about him, i.e. vertical, speed, strength. I like Akers a lot, although I'm really not sure about him starting. It just seems that we have more talented guys than him on the roster, not to sound too harsh.

Other guys that appear to have the body to play on the outside, and take over those spots from Butler and Eaton would be Joseph Scates, a 4-star guy with good offers, and Jalen Martin, whom I know people have been murmuring about the upside for some time now. You have to like his size at 6'3'' 211, he appears to have the physicality to make up for the loss of Butler and Eaton. You also wonder why he hasn't played more, and hasn't appeared on the depth chart very often, as a Redshirt So.

This years freshman class is interesting with Sean Shaw at 6'6'' 200. Had OK offers coming out of HS, 3 star guy. Not sure I see him contributing as early as next year, but maybe he'll surprise us. Best candidate IMO to replace the size and physicality we are losing at the position. Schleker is really fast, like I said earlier, probably the slot guy of the future. Tory Spears is on the roster, don't know much about him, or if there is anything worth knowing.

In the incoming class, Darien Porter at 6'4'' is a guy that seems to have the right frame, but unless he's bulked up from his listed 165 lbs I would not expect anything from him as a true freshman.

I'm not sure if it's a big deal that we don't seem to have a bulldozer/mack truck wide receiver. Someone that can block effectively downfield, not get jammed at the line of scrimmage, win 50/50 balls etc. and I suppose you don't need to be 6'5''-6'6'' 200-220 lbs to do those things. We do have several TE's that fit the bulldozer/safety blanket category at least. Maybe I'm raising questions that don't need answered, but what can I say? We've been blessed with big WR's for the past half decade, and I just get a little nervous not seeing an obvious one on the roster for next year.

They are looking for a tall, 6'4"+, juco or grad transfer WR.

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
We'll be fine. Someone will step up (I'm excited to see Shaw, Scates, and Martin get playing time). I don't think Butler leaves, though.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
We'll be fine. Someone will step up (I'm excited to see Shaw, Scates, and Martin get playing time). I don't think Butler leaves, though.
I hope he doesn't. Would be nice if he stayed and allowed an extra year for Scates, Shaw, and Porter to develop into a better candidate to replace him after next year.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Nothing in the rules prevents ISU from lining up Kolar and Allen in the slot or even splitting them out wide if that will create match-up issues for the other team...
I agree and they've done it a few times this year. Would like to see more of it honestly. The offensive playcalling has left a little to be desired this year

PsychedCy09

Jul 8, 2018
I think Kolar will be the guy that takes a lot of that role but Shaw could be that guy in the future if he develops well. Does anybody know about Scates standing in the program after 2 disciplinary problems? I would’ve expected him to take that role.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Kolar and Allen hopefully will hell fill those roles.
I hope so. With 2 talented guys like that (best TE's since Bibbs) you'd like to see them both maybe in the 20-30 catch range next year. Or at least utilized a little more than they were this year. Gotta play to your teams strengths, and they are certainly going to be one of the biggest strengths next year (if Butler leaves).

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I hope so. With 2 talented guys like that (best TE's since Bibbs) you'd like to see them both maybe in the 20-30 catch range next year. Or at least utilized a little more than they were this year. Gotta play to your teams strengths, and they are certainly going to be one of the biggest strengths next year (if Butler leaves).

Hopefully we use them similar to how Iowa used their 2, only better.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Watched Porter in the State Playoffs, he's definitely tall and definitely fast, the rest who knows?

Any chance of early enrollment?

southernfriedCY

Feb 11, 2009
I'll be surprised if Scates ever sees the field for us. I also think it's 50/50 Butler goes pro. One more season with Brock and he's a first rounder. This year will be iffy for guaranteed money.

Help Support Us

Become a patron