Wide Receivers and Their Disappearing Act

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
They're really not physical in the run game. Take away the two long runs by Breece and the run game was not very good.
Take away the two big runs, which were huge, and he averaged about 3 YPC. If you take away a RBs best two runs, that’s probably pretty normal. Besides, with the way OSU was playing, it was likely going to be a bunch of short runs and getting stuffed a few times and busting the occasional big run. Also, the long run where Breece didn’t score was flat out blocked well, and on the TD Simmons got beat by a nice move on the weak side, but the left side caved it in really well.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

83cy

May 14, 2006
Seems to my untrained eye we have an average to poor OL and our WR's don't scare anyone, which makes our offense pretty easy to defend. TE's good to great, RB Great, not much after that. Oh and Purdy was off today which didn't help.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Seems to my untrained eye we have an average to poor OL and our WR's don't scare anyone, which makes our offense pretty easy to defend. TE's good to great, RB Great, not much after that. Oh and Purdy was off today which didn't help.
Wouldn’t say that it was “Easy to defend.” There was great defense being played by OSU. Breece doesn’t regularly get tackled by the first man, but the linebackers and safeties for OSU were flying in and getting him down quickly.

biggest thing we’re missing is a receiver to take the top off the middle of the secondary. If Milton was playing the passing game would be much more productive.

83cy

May 14, 2006
Wouldn’t say that it was “Easy to defend.” There was great defense being played by OSU. Breece doesn’t regularly get tackled by the first man, but the linebackers and safeties for OSU were flying in and getting him down quickly.

biggest thing we’re missing is a receiver to take the top off the middle of the secondary. If Milton was playing the passing game would be much more productive.

Yeah maybe not easy to defend but easier to defend. ISU needs a WR that scares the defense, ISU doesn't have that.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yeah maybe not easy to defend but easier to defend. ISU needs a WR that scares the defense, ISU doesn't have that.

We do. He just wasn’t playing today and hasn’t been healthy all year even when he has played.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
The RPO was working the 1st half. Not sure I saw them run it the 2nd half. We kept running the drop back and throw and wasn't working. How about some designed rollouts or end around runs? The TE to TE in the Oklahoma game was an inspiration but nothing creative today.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
My only complaint about this thread is that most of these receivers never appeared. If Milton were healthy and the offensive lineman were healthy it would go a long way for us.

Reactions: CYdways432

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I said this after our first game, our passing game is ****. It does not put Purdy in favorable situations and asks him to almost be perfect. He’s not that type of QB. Our route trees are slow and take much too long to develop, not a strong suit for this Oline. Purdy needs more short, easy throws.
The BIGGEST PROBLEM is that our Offensive Line can't block worth a darned on obvious Passing Downs.....When Okie State took away our Tight Ends we were bound to LOSE!

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I think we need to give OSU some credit. I was very impressed with their defense. Sound tackling, good and physical in coverage. I don’t think they are good enough to go 3-0 vs OU, KSU and UT, but they are good. Sanders was a little rusty but the guy makes plays, and really made good throws all day, despite the 2 ints.
TEXAS TALENT ...that's Okie State's secret!

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
"pretty easy to defend"......I AGREE with that assessment!

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
I hope we get healthy.
It seems like our players injuries take forever to heal, yet other teams players who are deemed possibly out for the season miraculously recover just in time to play us. (TCU's Duggan and OSU's Sanders immediately come to mind.) Is this just a matter of coach speak or program philosophy?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
i was impressed with their D. The got pressure all day (granted they brought the house a lot), still were able to cover our WRs and TEs

The bolded part above is THE issue.

If teams are going to bring multiple blitzers a majority of the time, that means our TEs and WRs are in single coverage.... and yet they still can't get any separation at all..... why?

And OSU seemed to mostly bring the blitz right up the middle.... so in that case you should be able to beat them by going to the edges horizontally.... but we rarely seem to exploit that. And if they are bringing the heat right up the middle, then you need to roll Purdy out on designed roll out plays (which I assume Manning doesn't have??).

The best QBs in college and the NFL absolutely LOVE when teams blitz them. Aaron Rodgers comes to mind for me. He's said over and over again that he loves being blitzed.... because you can burn blitzes for big plays.... or you should be able to anyway. Not us though.... we have no idea what to do??

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
Pettway willed us to wins last year. Go watch game highlights and start with KU. No Milton is an issue too. Someone else has to step up.

ULL started the trend of playing man coverage against and set the plan for others. No they bring lots of pressure. Especially with more and more OL going down. OL has to play better and WR have to get separation earlier.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Winning in the margins is a good sound bite. At ISU we'll very rarely have the talent advantage. As you said we need to win in the margins in special teams and penalties. I would also add, being aggressive/making analytical calls on going for it on 4th down. Unfortunately while we have a lower amount of penalties than other teams in general, they always seem to happen at critical times or in the RZ. Also the biggest margin category is special teams (a great way for an under talented team to even the scales) we literally do not put our money where our mouth is and hire a special teams coach. It has cost us multiple games in the last two years. I'm tired of hearing the winning in the margins BS when we don't actually attempt it.
Has this ever been touched on during these CF interviews with Campbell?