Why Your Town Sucks #1: Coralville

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Also on my list. I figured I'd start with a relatively easy one, since not many people here are from Coralville

I think it's a funny idea, but starting with a hawk loving city JUST outside of IC, and using that as a cop out to not do IC, makes it seem like a one time jab at the hawks.

If you wanted an actual fun series you'd start with the usual suspects like Couciltucky, Sewer City, Mtown, Dirty Dodge, Boone, etc.

Hating on suburbia outside a major town isn't really interesting outside of the Hawkeye hate play.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I think it's a funny idea, but starting with a hawk loving city JUST outside of IC, and using that as a cop out to not do IC, makes it seem like a one time jab at the hawks.

If you wanted an actual fun series you'd start with the usual suspects like Couciltucky, Sewer City, Mtown, Dirty Dodge, Boone, etc.

Hating on suburbia outside a major town isn't really interesting outside of the Hawkeye hate play.
Feel free to ignore my series. I'll get to Iowa City in due time, just like I'll get to Ankeny, Ames, Marshalltown, etc.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Feel free to ignore my series. I'll get to Iowa City in due time, just like I'll get to Ankeny, Ames, Marshalltown, etc.

I'll def follow, I think it's a great idea if you can get into the details of the actual city. Low hanging fruit though ruins it for me.

What has always sucked: The Coralridge mall. Home to both Auntie Anne's Pretzels and AT&T, this center of early 2000's fun has been a staple here since 1998. Just about the last time Iowa City West mattered in football.

Yes, they have those 2 stores, but neither are local to the area, and every other mall in America has them (Pretzel Maker is 10x better btw). I actually find that mall interesting. You have more indoor entertainment like the skating rink.

We recently went to the children's museum/science center (not sure what its called) and I thought that was top notch. With the limited space in there it had a lot of sweet stuff, I probably had just as much fun as the kids and didn't want to leave. Rivals DSM/Omaha dedicated centers for sure.

Plus if you are a perv (and if you are on this site you are), if you must visit a mall for some stupid store, might as well have it lined with IC/Kirkwood girls trying to outslut themselves.

Also it's thriving unlike most indoor malls in America, what else is in Iowa besides Jordan Creek?

What's always sucked is the concrete hell hole it is bogging up I80 with a billion chains within eye shot. I just want to speed through it as fast as possible. And that being the only thing it's known for. I never knew Coralville had other areas. The Iowa River Power Company is a good place in a cool area.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scruff and Macloney

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Also please add pics of shittiness, that could get fun in these lame duck run down towns.

For instance, hey Dirty Dodge, Ja-Mars isn't an incredible one of a kind culinary institution, its a Mecca for inbred Iowa hicks. It's a fried food hellhole like a permanent Iowa State fair booth, except the Iowa State Fair brings creativity in it's offerings and KNOWS it should only be consumed once a year.

1637902726181.jpeg
o.jpg

Last edited:

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
I live in Coralville, you clearly spent some time on this! Despite being in hawk territory, it's a fairly nice place.

i run through auburn hills a lot, the older section was money from 15 years ago and a lot of the rich design elements back then are suspect now.

All the best non-chain restaurants are outside city limits. It sucks because anytime anyone visits they want the chains due to proximity.

The mall was hoppin in 1998! Still ok as far as ordering anywhere but amazon goes.

We do use a lot of Kirkland Brand! Did you know we have the only one with covered parking?

Our high school is actually liberty high, just a small group in coralville would attend liberty.

Excited to read more of these, highly recommend photos before you get to towns i don't know!

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
this center of early 2000's fun has been a staple here since 1998. Just about the last time Iowa City West mattered in football

I made it through this roast of my hometown but this really triggered me for some reason. :p Who am I kidding, its been more than a couple decades.

Fishhead

Oct 6, 2010
I’ve never been there , but I do think Coralville is a cool name for a town. At least it’s not called Oralville. There may then be too many people living there named John

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I feel exactly the opposite. The towns you listed are done to death. Suburbs like Coralville and Ankeny are terrible in their own special ways. It’s time to stop hiding behind “but they have great schools!”.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I feel exactly the opposite. The towns you listed are done to death. Suburbs like Coralville and Ankeny are terrible in their own special ways. It’s time to stop hiding behind “but they have great schools!”.
People talk **** about Ankeny all the time on this board when this subject comes up. Granted, people find ways to **** on just about anything on CF, but Ankeny is a popular target.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
People talk **** about Ankeny all the time on this board when this subject comes up. Granted, people find ways to **** on just about anything on CF, but Ankeny is a popular target.

Well, Ankeny is an up and coming ********. They’re hot right now.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

Rural living sucks
Suburban living sucks

Inner city the only decent place to live then or what?

• Haha
Reactions: CyTwister

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron