Why the NCAA won't punish Baylor

Discussion in 'Big XII Conference' started by mtowncyclone13, May 18, 2017.

1. mtowncyclone13

mtowncyclone13 Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2012
    grundy center
    Ratings:
    +2,669 / 128 / -0
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    Ratings:
    +9,114 / 218 / -0
    Could've just said "football money trumps all" and saved themselves some typing.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Mr Janny

Mr Janny Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
    Staff Member Bookie

Mar 27, 2006
    Ratings:
    +4,898 / 141 / -0
    good article. It's hard for people to hear, but it's the truth. The NCAA is not going to punish Baylor. Probably not at all, and certainly not to the degree that most people want.

The article says it, but Penn State was a huge check on the NCAA's power. They got absolutely slapped down.

The NCAA is not a criminal enforcement body, and universities know it now. They'll have lawyers lined up so fast, the suits will be filed before the ink is dry on the sanction notices.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. jkclone

jkclone Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Male
    Student & Iowa State Fan
    Urbandale
    Ratings:
    +1,754 / 424 / -0
    If the NCAA tried to punish Baylor for this I think they would lose in court. It just isn't within their purview. Should it be yes, but it isn't right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mr Janny

Staff Member Bookie

Mar 27, 2006
    Ratings:
    +4,898 / 141 / -0
    It's not that. It's simply not under the NCAA's purview. They don't have the power to punish for this. I don't know if they ever did, but they certainly don't, post Penn State.

6. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    Ratings:
    +9,114 / 218 / -0
    They never had the power, but that's by design. There is no way they're opening the door to put themselves in a position to do something that hurts the bottom line, and that comes from football.

I fully understand their Penn State slapdown. The article even points out that they had an opportunity to do something and reconsider things then. There's just one big reason that will never happen, and that's football money. No one's letting that go until the bubble bursts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ScottyP

ScottyP Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Urbandale, IA via Ogden
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    If the Big XII tries to kick Baylor out of the conference, will they be able to? I would think television contracts and Baylor's lawyers would make this difficult.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jbhtexas

jbhtexas Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Male
    Arlington, TX
    Ratings:
    +760 / 6 / -0
    The Big 12 kicking BU out would have the same result as the NCAA punishing BU...lawsuits, lawsuits, lawsuits...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mtowncyclone13

mtowncyclone13 Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2012
    grundy center
    Ratings:
    +2,669 / 128 / -0
    Every major employment contract in this country has language about the contract being void if one party breaks a law or otherwise damages the reputation of the other party. Except, of course, the NCAA. I can't believe anyone would create a contract worth billions and billions between the parties and not have any language about keeping in good standing with the law, showing good character, etc.

10. Mr Janny

Staff Member Bookie

Mar 27, 2006
    Ratings:
    +4,898 / 141 / -0
    I totally agree that football runs the NCAA show, but I don't think in the case of Baylor, that it's the reason they aren't being more aggressive with punishment. Football money is the reason that the situation at Baylor was allowed to get as bad as it was, but the NCAA isn't thinking about Baylor's football dollars when they're deciding to sit on the sidelines and not go after them. They're thinking about Penn State and how they tried to make a big display of power and extract their pound of Nittany flesh, and it backfired spectacularly on them. The NCAA is in a very weakened position, right now, when it comes to enforcement. Between what happened at Penn State, the University of Miami investigatory debacle, and how UNC has dragged things out, the league office looks like a paper tiger. They're not going to stick their noses into something unless they're 100% sure they have jurisdiction. And that's not the case, here. It's not football dollars keeping them out of Waco, it's the threat of further exposure as a toothless entity.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. NWICY

NWICY Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1,777 / 49 / -0
    After the PSU fiasco I don't think the NCAA cares about anything other than getting paid. They lay the hammer down where they can get by with it and let the name brand teams do what ever they want.

Unrelated if all this finally blows up (conference realignments) playoffs etc.. I hope we get Sigmopolis's conference of an upper Midwest,if it would come together somehow. That would be a dream conference for ISU.

12. BoomerClone

BoomerClone Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Male
    DC, IA
    Ratings:
    +117 / 13 / -0
    I know it's not going to happen but I would love to see the Big XII take a stand a kick this cesspool of a university out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JM4CY

JM4CY Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Ratings:
    +502 / 14 / -0
    What's sick is that kids still get recruited and go there. This should punish them enough athletically but back door money has to keep them coming.

14. Gorm

Gorm Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Male
    Amana, IA
    Ratings:
    +334 / 17 / -0