Why no FT's at the end?

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I am confused why Babb wasnt able to shoot FT's at the end of the game. My roommate and I were talking and when somebody fouls someobdy else on an inbounds play, they get to shoot if they are in the bonus. But Babb didnt because he didnt have possession? Still confused about this. If anybody can explain, I would greatly appreciate it.

Oh well, on to Baylor. Im expecting a crazy atmosphere and a great game.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
On the Clyburn foul with no possession there were shots. On the foul against Babb there were none.

Why?

OSU was gagging on ref schlong before the game.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
The refs listened and responded to Travis Ford's ********. /thread

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
The announcers on TV said it was a player control foul, but I only thought that only applied to an offensive foul?

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
The announcers on TV said it was a player control foul, but I only thought that only applied to an offensive foul?

I'm guessing since they had the ball out of bounds, and we never gained possession, it was considered an offensive foul, much like a charge.

CycloneKC

Jan 13, 2010
I agree. They got to shoot 2 free throws when Clyburn came over back. Same play Nash came over Babbs back no free throws?

Makes no sense

drunkstepfather

Sep 23, 2009
Iowa
Per some Iowa Boys Basketball officials at the bar I was at, the Babb foul with no shots was due to ISU not having "team control of the ball". As in, Oklahoma State was inbounding, Babb steps in to steal but never actual had the ball in his control when fouled.

Reactions: cmjh10

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Babb didn't have possession of the ball, so it wasn't a back court player control foul with automatic 1&1 free throws.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I agree. They got to shoot 2 free throws when Clyburn came over back. Same play Nash came over Babbs back no free throws?

Makes no sense

They were in the bonus, we weren't.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
My question is:

If we didn't have control of the ball (and the foul happened before Babb even touched the ball), why didn't we get to take it out in front of our bench? The ball never got into play, so shouldn't the change of possession take place at the point where they inbounded the ball rather than where the foul occurred?

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Sorry guys, but they actually did get the call right. Now referring to the call earlier, I don't know if that one was right

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines

You don't shoot FT on a player control foul. But, at the same time, in order for a player control foul to occur that has to be possession of the ball (I think). ON a team control fould, which is what this should have been, there are no FT either.

So, the right call by the officials to not let Babb shoot FT, but poor job that they didn't know it in the first place. Poor job by the announcers too calling it player control. Still sucks for us, regardless.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
OSu didn't have ball yet when we shot it and Clyburn came over back.

But, they were already in the bonus, so they get the free throws for that reason, not having the ball.

Two different rules being applied.

1. In the bonus, any foul results in free throws. Clyburn's foul.
2. Player control fouls in the backcourt result in free throws, if you have possession (which Babb didn't), regardless of whether you are in the bonus.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron