Why is Kinnick Stadium considered historic?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
There are outhouses in the UK and Europe that are twice as old as Kinnick and no one goes out of their way to designate them historic.

If you say something enough people may start believing it is true. - Herbicide beat me to the punch on this sentiment.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
I and follow up asking, when was it 75 years old. Usually get a blank stare, either due to lack of math skills, or not knowing (basic) info on a historical site.

My first year as a student at Iowa, 2004, was the 75th season of football in the stadium. That is the first time I remember it being referred to as Historic Kinnick Stadium.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Maybe the historic is only referring to Kinnick himself. And they named the stadium after Historic Kinnick. Just so Hok fans could call their stadium historic.
Or is that too big a stretch?

• Creative

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
It is actually a typo that nobody has corrected. It was originally Hysteric Kinnick Stadium. Even the dictionary example fits Hawk fans.

hys·ter·ic
həˈsterik/
noun
  1. 1.
    informal
    a wildly emotional and exaggerated reaction.
    "the child has been seized with regular fits of hysterics at bedtime"
    synonyms: hysteria, wildness, feverishness, irrationality, frenzy, loss of control, delirium, derangement, mania
    "a fit of hysterics"

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My first year as a student at Iowa, 2004, was the 75th season of football in the stadium. That is the first time I remember it being referred to as Historic Kinnick Stadium.

Did they cancel a season? Wiki said 1929 so 75th season would have been 2003, or was the Iowa AD bad at math?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Repeatedly calling a place historic implies that something special happened there over the years since its construction. Wonder what that would be.....
The Wave, maybe?

I was thinking the hive mind spelling lessons...

I...O...W...A...

Good - Hok fans can spell the word Iowa when there’s around 70k of them in one place and a flag is being waved in their face.

Derpycy

Jun 27, 2018
Bother? No.

Amuse? Absolutely.

I get a much different interpretation when reading this thread. Based on what is being posted here, the only possible stadium of historical significance would be the first stadium named after an African-American.

I guess I am not sold that anyone outside of the isu fan base would see it this way.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: breck53 and JP4CY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I get a much different interpretation when reading this thread. Based on what is being posted here, the only possible stadium of historical significance would be the first stadium named after an African-American.

I guess I am not sold that anyone outside of the isu’s fan base would see it this way.

This is because we know that hawk trolls have poor reading comprehension skills. If you need it explained better, we could direct you to your old alternative school teacher.