Why is everyone sleeping on Jakolby Long?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Everyone would be super excited about him if he were a freshman this year. But since he was an injured freshman burried on the depth chart behind a bunch of very good veteran guards he's no good.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
We were playing a not very good NWB in spot minutes a lot of games last year. If Jacolby couldn't at least push him for those minutes, he was a long way from being a solid rotation guy for a B12 team. Given the info we currently have on him, I don't think anyone is wrong for not expecting much this season.

I hope I'm eating crow next spring.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad and Doc

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
I know he had recent shoulder surgery but he is one of our highest ranked recruits currently on roster. Where do people anticipate him sitting in the rotation this season? If he can manage 35-39% from three I can see him getting significant minutes at the 2 or even to spell DJ when he comes out.
So, you're calling this tall Cyclone a slut?

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
We were playing a not very good NWB in spot minutes a lot of games last year. If Jacolby couldn't at least push him for those minutes, he was a long way from being a solid rotation guy for a B12 team. Given the info we currently have on him, I don't think anyone is wrong for not expecting much this season.

I hope I'm eating crow next spring.

NWB was one of the most talented guys on the team last year, that's why he got minutes. People said the same thing about guys like Burton, Nader, and Naz Long among other too. You can't put too much stock on guys who aren't comfortable yet and playing behind proven starters.

You're also someone who didn't understand why Matt Thomas as playing for a few years, but then you sure didn't mind him when he was playing up to his talent level.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
NWB was one of the most talented guys on the team last year, that's why he got minutes. People said the same thing about guys like Burton, Nader, and Naz Long among other too. You can't put too much stock on guys who aren't comfortable yet and playing behind proven starters.

You're also someone who didn't understand why Matt Thomas as playing for a few years, but then you sure didn't mind him when he was playing up to his talent level.

I was always high on Matt Thomas and was right, so you're flat out wrong on that.

NWB was bad alot of the time last year, and Jacolby didn't even sniff taking minutes from him, so he had a long way to go. I knew someone would be a douche about what I wrote, and I'm not surprised it was you.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I was always high on Matt Thomas and was right, so you're flat out wrong on that.

NWB was bad alot of the time last year, and Jacolby didn't even sniff taking minutes from him, so he had a long way to go. I knew someone would be a douche about what I wrote, and I'm not surprised it was you.

NWB was not bad last year. He had some games where he was very aggressiveness offensively, but he is a surprisingly efficient offensive player. His strengths are defense and rebounding.

There is lots of room for improvement with Babb, but he was rarely "bad".

• Disagree
Reactions: cyclonepsycho23

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines

I'm not an insufferable homer like a lot of people on this site.

With that said, you're flat out wrong here.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Hmm, I was unaware that I was breaking news with my hot takes. We'll agree to disagree.

Nick Weiler Babb and Jacolby Long - Co B12 POYs 2017-2018. :)

• Useful
Reactions: VeloClone

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Isn't Long the kid that when interviewed in high school was more excited about playing defense than scoring?

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
giphy.gif

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Isn't Long the kid that when interviewed in high school was more excited about playing defense than scoring?

Yes. Him and Babb are more than likely our best two defenders at guard. With a coach who's putting emphasis on defense that will help him see the floor(along with also not having a bunch of seniors in front of him anymore). Now that he's healthy, it will be interesting to see how he does offensively.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Well aren't we assuming they'll improve this year? I think you know where I think he fell for a large part of last year within that spectrum. If you have further questions, let me know.
Wut?

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park