Why ESPN is Failing

Discussion in 'General College Sports' started by jkclone, Mar 14, 2017.

1. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Male
    Ankeny
    Do you have any examples of the political leanings? I haven't watched ESPN a ton so I'm sure I missed it.

2. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Accountant
    Altoona
    right, and one of those reasons doesn't make any damned sense. Or do you no longer see a dentist because the last dentist you had was a liberal? You've stopped reading any newspapers because the Register printed a column you didn't like. You can't even watch the news anymore because that one guy on that one station is a complete leftist hippie.

3. Clonefan94

Clonefan94 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Graphic Designer
    Schaumburg, IL
    ESPN is failing, because it's a model, based on pre-internet entertainment. Ever since the advent of broadband internet, I've only watched ESPN if a game was on there I wanted to see live. Through the internet, I get to see all the highlights I could possibly need to see, without having to wade through the loudmouths act like they are more important as the sport or sit through half a show of baseball, NBA and soccer highlights I don't care about at all. I think the last time I watched ESPN for anything that wasn't an actual game, was 2011 when ISU beat OK St. in football. Add that to the fact that they way overestimated the value of college football and they were doomed to fail eventually.

4. isufbcurt

isufbcurt Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Male
    CPA
    Newton
    They have black people anchors and show highlights with blacks playing sports - so it must be liberal

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. tjh1984

tjh1984 Member

Feb 11, 2009
    New Orleans/Chicago
    The new Sports Center is absolute garbage. SC 6 or whatever they are calling it. Jemele Hill is the worst. I've been watching less and less ESPN every year it seems like. I miss the old Van Pelt show on ESPN News in the mornings and Colin's show. I found them really good.

6. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Male
    Ankeny
    They featured a lacrosse highlight the other night. That's pretty "conservative".

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. isufbcurt

isufbcurt Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Male
    CPA
    Newton
    They must be re-branding or adding a new channel "ESPN America - The Conservative Sports Channel"

8. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Enginerd
    Johnston
    I've never been a huge watcher of ESPN, even in my younger years. But I watch less and less of it than I used to. In fact now only for games that are on ESPN. Never any of their "shows."

But it's weird, because these threads always have 99% of responses saying how they don't watch. But it's kinda like the Kardashians, somebody must be watching or the shows wouldn't be on anymore.

9. Judoka

Judoka Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Timbuktu
    Yeah, I personally hate all the opinion/people yelling at each other shows but obviously people are watching them otherwise they wouldn't be cancelling everything else in favor of that type of show.

10. brett108

brett108 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    Chemical Engineer
    Tulsa, OK
    So much this. The B1G model of conference expansion was entirely predicated on uninterested eyeballs still subscribing to cable TV and giving ESPN their carriage fees. This model hurt teams like ISU, with dedicated fan followings that don't dictate a large amount of TV market. The bust will hurt the financials of every college team, but ISU will likely come out of it better than most of the teams relying on TV markets that don't even know they exist.

11. brett108

brett108 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    Chemical Engineer
    Tulsa, OK
    Well, in ESPNs defense those shows require on air "talent" that is already under contract and nothing else..

"Type something, would ya, were paying for this stuff." Venkman-style of thinking.

12. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    Oppressed snowflakes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. benjohnson98

benjohnson98 New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Only thing worth watching is Jaymee Sire on Sportscenter AM

14. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Engineer
    Denver, CO
    ESPN got involved in the race issues last summer by having Obama on a couple of times, and also with the speeches by the NBA players at the start of the ESPYs. I could see that bothering people.

I doubt the Schilling firing did much damage because both conservatives and liberals realize Schilling is a moron.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. jbhtexas

jbhtexas Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Male
    Arlington, TX
    I would suggest they are doing it because it is cheap programming (which is what ESPN can afford now). Throw a few people in a studio and have them ad-lib for awhile. No writers, minimal production and travel costs, minimal first costs. When the "panel" (or whatever the hec they are called) want too much money, ESPN can fire them, because it is not too difficult to find people who will yell on camera for less money. The people who are interested in that kind of programming probably don't really care who is doing the yelling.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. capitalcityguy

capitalcityguy Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Male
    Des Moines
    The article I linked to gave about a half dozen.

17. Rabbuk

Rabbuk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Not any actually persuasive ones unless he's found new ones since the last time he took this stupid position.

• Like Like x 1
  18. MeanDean

MeanDean Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Male
    Retired Civil Engineer
    Clarence IA-Jensen Beach FL
    Never really watched much ESPN except games. I remember near it's beginning it was pretty much the Big East and little more for college hoops. I used to call it Eastern Sports Programming Network.

I kind of don't understand why they decided to start including European soccer scores in the bottom banner. Does anyone in America save a few recent immigrants care about that? Or do they now carry some of those games? (I honestly don't know.)

19. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Publications Manager
    Macomb, MI
    I don't avoid ESPN at all costs, but when it comes to ESPN my BS meter is extremely sensitive and maxes out very quickly. However, I find at nights when I have it on I sleep like a baby.

20. WooClone15

WooClone15 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Male
    Student
    Madison, WI
    Nah, that's most played on the coasts so it's a liberal sport

• Agree Agree x 1