Why does Wally get a break ?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Neither unit is worth a crap right now. Not sure why anyone would even pretend otherwise. It's even arguable that statistically the defense is worse than the O, and that's saying something.

But you know how conventional wisdom works.

People started ******** about Mess before they started complaining about Wally, so Messingham needs to be fired first. There's an order to these things on the internet. Once Messingham is gone, we can determine who we want fired next.

:jimlad:

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
Wally doesn't need a break. We play in an extremely high scoring conference and until the last two games, we have held teams below their scoring average in just about every game for 2 or 3 years.

I'll go a step further and say that he has the defense playing pretty well in general and very well all things considered. The only Bad defensive effort was the Baylor game. That one hurt no two ways about it.

As for OkSt, they didn't have a single scoring drive of 60 or more yards. Every single point that our defense gave up was on a short field. OkSt had 18 possessions.. That is a whole lotta blame for the cyclone offense. I won't get into the individual blame game, but to put it on Wally is just flat out stupid.

In addition to that OkSt's offense scored 35 of those points using just 79 yards. Pretty tough to do a lot better than what the defense is doing at this stage in their development. When the offense wasn't flat out giving points away, the d was able to hold a fairly decent offense to 23-pts. What do you want the defense to do when the offense gives OSU the ball on our 15, 21, and 43?

Last edited:

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Well, minus Baylor the defense put us in tons of positions to score and the offense couldn't get it done.

Me personally-I give Wally a break because we have had some of the better defenses in the Big 12 the past 2-3 seasons despite being clearly outmanned and out-talented at almost every position against other teams (minus LBs). He has proven he can do a whole ton, with a whole lot less and make us competitive on the defensive side of the ball. Messingham however, get the eff outta town you bum.