Why do you suppose Chizik never got another head coaching gig?

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
was it the way he failed after the championship year or did he lose interest?

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Oh I dunno, he couldn't ever win without paying to get the Heisman winner on his team.
What do I win?

• Winner
Reactions: weR138

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
was it the way he failed after the championship year or did he lose interest?
Auburn hired him to play ball with their cheating. They got their championship and subsequently cut him loose to get a better coach / distance themselves from the cheating.

it's sorta like in Goodfellas when Jimmy Conway starts killing off all the Lufthansa heist participants...

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Auburn hired him to play ball with their cheating. They got their championship and subsequently cut him loose to get a better coach / distance themselves from the cheating.

it's sorta like in Goodfellas when Jimmy Conway starts killing off all the Lufthansa heist participants...

Even Stacks.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Because he sucks as a head coach. Hell after the Newton payoff that was the end of him as a head coach.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I've seen coaches who cheat get multiple opportunities and coaches who suck get multiple opportunities. But it's pretty rare for a coach who's a cheater and a loser to get more than one or two cracks at it. Lane Kiffin, maybe. I can't think of anyone else who fits that profile off the top of my head.

Reactions: cycloneML

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I've seen coaches who cheat get multiple opportunities and coaches who suck get multiple opportunities. But it's pretty rare for a coach who's a cheater and a loser to get more than one or two cracks at it. Lane Kiffin, maybe. I can't think of anyone else who fits that profile off the top of my head.

It probably also doesnt help that Chizik doesnt seem like the type to ingratiate himself well with people. He doesnt have people from programs he's been at behind the scenes telling other programs he'd be a great pickup.

Also, at some point, if you're chizik, you've made enough money to be set for life. Now he can sit back, enjoy his life with his family, and make a little extra cash going on ESPN every so often. At some point at his age that's probably a better alternative to restarting as a lower level coach and trying to work the way back up again.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Chiz has probably told ADs who have inquired that he would like another shot with his cronies Bolt and MacFarland.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
1) he's set for life financially so doesn't need the money
2) has a TV gig, so is getting paid decently at a job that is a lot less stressful. lot less work
3) self realization that he is not head coach material.
4) track record wouldn't suggest anyone would want to hire him as their head coach

Bottomline: I'm not surprised at all.

Help Support Us

Become a patron