Why are there so many licenses in education?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mtowncyclone13, May 20, 2019.

1. matclone

matclone Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +2,275 / 99 / -5
    Your hypothetical isn't helpful in overcoming the evident need to license in certain professions, which I'm sure are based on an identifiable professional need more than a whim. If you want to be a doctor, or a lawyer, or a barber, or an electrician, or a teacher, you go to the appropriate schools or training, take tests, and pay a small fee to show the world you are qualified.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. matclone

Nov 13, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +2,275 / 99 / -5
    I'm not a teacher, but I know we have teachers on the board who could speak to this.

3. mtowncyclone13

mtowncyclone13 Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2012
    grundy center
    Ratings:
    +7,598 / 465 / -6
    And I have never said remove all teacher licenses. Please quote me if you believe I have. What is the difference between someone with 15 years of teaching experience teaching 3rd grade and 4th grade? My wife would need a different license. How about teaching special ed in a classroom vs teaching special ed as a traveling teacher. Need a different license. Are you a natural leader with an eye for detail and the ability to communicate with everyone? Want to work in administration? Need a different license. Again, I am not saying let people off the street be a teacher. I am saying we should trust people who have education and experience to look at things with a fresh perspective. Why are you against that?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Sales and marketing
    A pineapple under the sea
    Ratings:
    +35,717 / 1,577 / -84
    Creating barriers to entry is a great way to achieve a degree of job security.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  5. ArgentCy

ArgentCy Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic

Jan 13, 2010
    Male
    Ratings:
    +11,202 / 2,340 / -1,140
    And it really slows anyone who needs a license from moving with demand. For instance, North Dakota had a huge influx of people but now they don't have enough of these people. If they also have strict license requirements they are hurting themselves from pulling qualified people from around the country.

6. DurangoCy

DurangoCy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Male
    Durango, CO
    Ratings:
    +2,438 / 74 / -0
    I had a physics teacher, who was a former engineer (failed career, I believe), so they just figured he could teach the material. He was terrrible, so I wish the had required a license where you couldn't be an idiot and teach HS level physics.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. madguy30

madguy30 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Ratings:
    +10,913 / 330 / -3
    Per the 3rd vs. 4th grade thing, typically licenses for those are 'K-5' or '1-12' so there's some wiggle room. I would say it goes far beyond 'reading a script' and it's unfortunate people refer to that.

There IS some BS in states having different requirements for licensing that are basically hoops to jump through if one moves from one state to another but I'd wonder if it's similar in other professions.

8. Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Aug 10, 2011
    Male
    Washington, DC
    Ratings:
    +14,433 / 952 / -1
    #28 Sigmapolis, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Abraham Lincoln spent less than 12 months in formal schooling his entire life.

He became an attorney the old-fashioned way -- he started as an entry-level clerk in a law office, learned on the job, and eventually passed the bar exam. He never had anything resembling an undergraduate education, much less three years in law school.

He did alright for himself.

My wife is a doctor. She told me that maybe 1% of her undergraduate training and maybe 10% of her training from medical school is relevant to what she does on a daily basis. She actually learned how to be a doctor on the job during her residency, and she has long maintained her hospital rotations her third and fourth year of medical school did a lot more to prepare her for the real world of it than anything in the classroom in her first and second years.

So what must be the point of all these hoops you have to jump through?

Nailed in. So many of these are just a modern form of a medieval guild.

Guilds of merchants and craft workers were formed in medieval Europe so that their members could benefit from mutual aid, production standards could be maintained, competition was reduced and, by acting collectively, a certain political influence could be achieved.

https://www.ancient.eu/Medieval_Guilds/

Do I think that doctors, nurses, teachers, and engineers should learn the rudiments of their profession before being unleashed on an unsuspecting public? Sure do.

I am just not sure they really learn those in classrooms or during the licensing process. They probably learn it, like the most of us actually do, while doing it.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5,273 / 275 / -1
    #29 Cycsk, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Not a licensure story, but my wife (who has a teacher's license) was hired once-upon-a-time in a Chicago suburb and then unhired before she started when they recognized that she had a masters degree (in college and university student personnel) because it meant they had to pay her more. She was very well known and appreciated by administration as a "classroom mom," was recruited by the administration, and would have worked for "whatever" because it was more about serving the community, but nope, not allowed.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. ArgentCy

SuperFanatic

Jan 13, 2010
    Male
    Ratings:
    +11,202 / 2,340 / -1,140
    I could probably find a few idiots out there teaching HS physics. A license isn't going to stop that from happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. matclone

Nov 13, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +2,275 / 99 / -5
    It's also a great way to maintain integrity in the profession, and to help prevent people from getting hurt or ripped off.

• Agree x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  12. Jmarsh13

Jmarsh13 Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Ratings:
    +274 / 5 / -0
    Engineering licenses are typically able to be obtained in other states by reciprocity. Send in an application with fee and paperwork that shows that you meet State X requirements and State Y will give you a license. Then it is keeping up with each states Cont. Education requirements to keep them current.

California does require additional testing due to seismic loading for Structural Engineers and also because they are California...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ArgentCy

SuperFanatic

Jan 13, 2010
    Male
    Ratings:
    +11,202 / 2,340 / -1,140
    To the OP you might qualify for one of these exemptions. No idea how this works in practice but might be worth a shot.

https://www.boee.iowa.gov/enter-teaching-profession-iowa

Career and Technical Authorization. This route requires hours of experience to teach in career and technical fields (no degree required). 6000 experience hours (approximately three years) or 4000 experience hours (if the applicant also has a bachelor’s degree) are required. Applicants can begin teaching immediately, and short courses in basic pedagogy are completed online. This is a highly successful alternative program which fills a great need in Iowa including but not limited to areas such as construction, drafting, welding, mechanics, military, electricity, culinary, agriculture, engineering, technology, and many more.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Cyclones_R_GR8

Cyclones_R_GR8 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Omaha
    Ratings:
    +11,102 / 146 / -1
    [​IMG]

15. madguy30

madguy30 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Ratings:
    +10,913 / 330 / -3
    Where are you seeing people need a different license between 3rd and 4th grade and special ed in the classroom vs. traveling? Never seen that specific of detail.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. BCClone

BCClone Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    North Iowa
    Ratings:
    +15,143 / 396 / -0
    The worst part of the education license is the the requirement that you have to teach X years to be a Superintendent. In our school the Principals determine the basic education needs and the Sup will go strictly off financials. Dude doesn't understand financials very well because he went to school to be a PE teacher and his business background is weak, but they were limited in the candidates since it was a smaller school and rolled with him since he was considered local.

17. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5,273 / 275 / -1

In most fields, most people learn most of what they need to know on the job. So, why don't we organize higher education around jobs? It is because of a false notion of how college helps you "grow up into a mature citizen." Maybe once upon a time, but now the crisis of prolonged adolescence dominates the undergraduate experience (and I don't like the idea of wiping out the student loan debt that has been used to fund it).

About the closest to "learning on the job" in formal higher education is coop education. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperative_education

Most online programs could be made so much better if they were structured to take advantage of learning opportunities for people who already have positions in their field, but alas, most online programs provide a similar abstract, impractical approach that tries to mimic the traditional instead of leveraging the reality that students are in the midst of real life learning communities.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Male
    Washington, DC
    Ratings:
    +14,433 / 952 / -1
    My father-in-law did something like this in Florida.

He went from an engineer (electrical engineering from Madison) to a high school calculus teacher with what amounted to a single summer course and boom, in the classroom.

19. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Just a Man in the Middle
    SuperFanatic

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    Ratings:
    +24,202 / 614 / -14
    She would need a different certificate or endorsement, the license is the same. Teaching 1st graders is not the same as teaching high school subjects. Just like teaching just about anything isn't the same as teaching special ed.

It sounds like your wife only has a PK-3 endorsement?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. DurangoCy

DurangoCy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Male
    Durango, CO
    Ratings:
    +2,438 / 74 / -0
    It would've stopped him.