Results are only viewable after voting.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
What's sad is that the farmers that actually grow and raise real food for my table...the CSA and farmer's market vegetable and fruit growers...the poultry, hog, and cattle producers that don't use confinement practices...don't get any subsidies or bailouts.
Subsidies and bailouts are a larger portion of most small operation's income than the big ones that get the flashy checks.

The payouts have limits of a certain amount, and large operations dilute that payout on a per acre basis. Let's just say there's a subsidy paying farmers $100 per acre, but you max out at $100K per entity. A large partnership (consisting of 5 underlying LLCs) that farms 15K acres and consists of multiple entities could get $500K in subsidy payments, A single guy farming 1K acres would get $100K. You look at the raw numbers and say "THEY'RE GETTING 5X AS MUCH!", but that's not how it really works in regards to your margins.

The guy farming 1,000 acres is getting the full $100 per acre. The group farming 15,000 acres is getting 1/3rd of that per acre. It's a much bigger benefit to the little guy, even though he got 1/5th of the total money.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
The average age of the farmer in this country is 57. The end of the small farms can have many causes. One of the largest is the next generation isn’t coming home to the farm. Farm consolidation is happening rapidly because most farmers kids aren’t coming back. Also the farm crisis of the 80’s took a ton of small farms and sent a ton of farm kids to college or town for jobs because there was no money on the farm with ridiculous interest rates and low prices. That’s basically a lost generation of farmers.
Happened to both my dad and my father in law. My grandpa farmed and my dad went to work in town at the meat packing plant. My father in law went to college and got into auditing/banking.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I'm trying to figure out the amount of dumbs you're getting on some of these posts. @awd4cy do you just dislike Cowgirl or something?

He really dislikes me from the Cave I assume. I don't recall ever really interacting with him but see his dumbs in the crowd of those who rate a lot but never engage in good faith.

• Dumb
Reactions: awd4cy

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Went a Google Street view to look at Stine's facility.
Are they applying seed treatment out in the open?
That conveyor and ground looks covered in red.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.713...4!1stJMyoROIiLDi2kk-i649_A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Definitely not treating outside. It honestly looks like treatment dust-off from loading seed tenders or semis, but that is a shockingly large amount. The treatment on the conveyor and immediately around the bottom I can understand, but I'm pretty lost as to how the entire slab of concrete is covered.

The conveyor to the right of the building that goes into the grain leg also appears to have treatment residue, so I'm wonder if this is a re-work facility where they are dumping and rebagging large quantities of treated corn.

Reactions: AgronAlum

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
It's a captive market, especially if the big four produce the only seed that's competitive.
That’s the thing. There are other companies producing quality products. The big players in that other 40% are still very competitive. Like Stine in soybeans

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate farmers and their work. But holy **** they ***** about everything. Too much rain, not enough rain, too much wind. And then they expect the state government to write them a subsidy check for it. I have no problem with people getting the help they need, but if local farmers keep getting subsidy checks then they should stop ******** about the poor getting some welfare help as well.
Just so I'm clear what we're doing here, we start off by saying, "man, farmers ***** about everything, especially weather"....
Point taken. I guess the local media blowing stories up about farmers ******** is what we get for living in a major agricultural state like Iowa. I guess all I’m saying is they are extremely hypocritical.
Then we pivot to, "well, the local media sure runs a lot of stories about how much farmers *****" and actually use the word hypocritical....
Being a CCA mail carrier without your own route yet is the worst. Especially if you don’t have a 40 hour or 8 hour a day doctors note for management. They will literally make you work 60+ hours a week running around doing others routes that need delivered. That **** is hell during 100 degree days and -20 degree days.
Then you go ahead and ***** about your own job and how much it sucks, especially in unfavorable weather.

Interesting.

1657214401831.png

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron