Why are Farmers never happy?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Are farmers too needy?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I will be transparent with you. I work in research for one of the big ag companies. We are spending billions a year on R&D. A lot of it to come up with products that can adapt to climate change. We wouldn’t have the money to spend on that if farmers kept their seed and planted it. Public lines are being developed for people to buy and replant but the rate at which those come out is significantly slower because there isn’t the money to spend on R&D. That comes from grants and university funds

I am constantly amazed at the gains seed companies have made with drought resistance and just increasing yields in general. My only real complaint is that the seed dealers seem to be the ones making money in my area. More than any of the small to medium farmers. To me, they make way too much given the job they actually do.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

TrailCy

Mar 3, 2021
Unless you've ever farmed for a living or grown up in a family that farming was their main source of income then you probably ought to be careful posting threads like this. If farming were so easy and lucrative then a lot more people would be going into it as a career instead of ******** about how their work wants them to start coming back into the office again.

It's a tough occupation and weather, inflated costs of operating inputs, market prices for the crops and animals you sell, and sometimes just plain bad luck are a lot of variables that can make the difference between a good year and bad one. Those of us with desk jobs usually have a good idea what we are going to bring home for income going into a year, farmers don't have that luxury as just putting a crop in the ground doesn't guarantee a good income if the perfect storm of costs, weather, and market prices cuts into their profit margins. If you raise livestock and you have a dead calf that animal basically lost you money for the year. Lots of things to consider that if it was your time and money invested how frustrating it can be that some things not in your control can hit your pocketbook unexpectedly.
If it sucks so much sell the farm?

And people could say the same about teachers.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
And this is my issue. When you then have any question or concern around decisions they make - as a business - they shroud themselves in the cloak of "can't criticize us, we feed you, you couldn't do our job for a minute" crap....
Was raised in a farm family and have been around the farming community for decades. Can't say I've ever heard a farmer utter this 'crap'.
It's sad if you've actually heard an Iowa farmer contend this.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Farmers like government payments. And complain. Most people like getting the government Covid payments. And complain.

Most of the complaining is because the squeaky wheel is the one that continually gets greased.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I am constantly amazed at the gains seed companies have made with drought resistance and just increasing yields in general. My only real complaint is that the seed dealers seem to be the ones making money in my area. More than any of the small to medium farmers. To me, they make way too much given the job they actually do.
What is your measurement for making too much?

ROI, as a percent of R&D, etc?

Does Apple make to much?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I thought it was to save the climate, planet and all of mankind from those dastardly oil tycoons.

Save the Farmers. Utilize an abundant renewable crop needing demand. Stretch gasoline supplies. Lessens the impact of our limited oil refining capacity.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Was raised in a farm family and have been around the farming community for decades. Can't say I've ever heard a farmer utter this 'crap'.

Farmers don’t talk to people, they talk to their elected representatives. That’s smart I will admit.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

It's literally in this thread. And hardly limited to Iowa farmers.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
literally visit any of your local casey's....
Local farmer ***** session going on right now in our local Casey's. The six farmers their average 3000 to 4000 acres each. Very few farm topics on the agenda today. The only one I heard was on applying for derecho payments in addition to crop insurance.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Local farmer ***** session going on right now in our local Casey's. The six farmers their average 3000 to 4000 acres each. Very few farm topics on the agenda today. The only one I heard was on applying for derecho payments in addition to crop insurance.

Wheels squeaking. Need more grease.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
A Monopoly is one company controlling the market. The seeds business is not a monopoly
And usually an oligopoly leads to higher prices than a monopoly. In a monopoly, they will lower the prices slightly to make sure that there is not a competitor that can realistically enter, so a monopoly generally has lower prices.

Reactions: wxman1