Whovians

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
We've reached the halfway point of Season 9. What are everyone's thoughts so far?
I am really liking this season. The 2-part episode arcs remind me of watching Tom Baker-era Who on PBS. I feel this approach actually allows the Doctor to be more "grounded" (for lack of a better word) - too often I felt those stand-alone episodes were too focused on "the Doctor needs to fix problem X because it needs fixing" but it didn't really matter if he was on Earth, another planet or a different time period. Now I feel like the writers have been granted more flexibility to write the setting, then flip the narrative with some sci-fi related problem, and then flip the narrative AGAIN when the Doctor arrives. Best example of this is episodes 3 & 4 with the underwater station. I think those episodes were probably my favorite so far.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Season Finale is this weekend and is setup to be a real doozy. Last weekends episode was by far my favorite of the season. I won't say any spoilers for those that may be waiting to purchase the season later, but everything is setting up for a strong Season 10.

Other Dr. Who tidbits:

Christmas Episode includes an appearance from River Song and the poster hints at a new sonic screwdriver! No more sonic glasses...

Another semi-announcement just a few days ago hints that Peter Jackson may be directing an episode (or maybe even a movie?). Here's a link to the article - it also has a pretty funny video of Jackson and a special appearance by The Doctor.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...nd-announces-hell-direct-doctor-who/76578436/

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Do you know if there's any chance of a season marathon leading up to the finale? I wasn't able to record most of the season because I was in the process of switching from a DVR to my own HTPC. I really need to catch up.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Season Finale is this weekend and is setup to be a real doozy. Last weekends episode was by far my favorite of the season. I won't say any spoilers for those that may be waiting to purchase the season later, but everything is setting up for a strong Season 10.

Other Dr. Who tidbits:

Christmas Episode includes an appearance from River Song and the poster hints at a new sonic screwdriver! No more sonic glasses...

Another semi-announcement just a few days ago hints that Peter Jackson may be directing an episode (or maybe even a movie?). Here's a link to the article - it also has a pretty funny video of Jackson and a special appearance by The Doctor.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...nd-announces-hell-direct-doctor-who/76578436/

"I'm the Doctor."
"Who?"
"Exactly."

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I've got several episodes recorded so I'm just catching up.

I really liked episodes 5 and 6 with Maisie Williams. I would be very happy if she were a recurring character or even a companion in the future.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Do you know if there's any chance of a season marathon leading up to the finale? I wasn't able to record most of the season because I was in the process of switching from a DVR to my own HTPC. I really need to catch up.

I buy the season pass on iTunes, so I don't know if BBC America will be showing a marathon. If I had to guess, they may do something leading up to the Christmas Special.

Cy83ag

Mar 20, 2010
Earlham
This is a great season so far, I think it just took a while to get used to a more grown up Doctor, for me. I think Capaldi combines a lot of Pertwee's and Baker's Doctors which is really cool. I really enjoyed Doctors 9-11, but this Doctor has been a blast. I can only imagine what Baker's Doctor would have been like if the cgi of today had been available then.

Cy83ag

Mar 20, 2010
Earlham
So.... is it possible the impossible girl doesn't die? I know that's the nature of the show, but I just hate it every time someone leaves the show.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
imagejpeg

Pearl Mackie is the new companion this season

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
So...last night's episode was a bit of a mind****. Nice setup for the finale.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
This season has been great - I finally feel like the writing has finally caught up to Capaldis talent. This episode was great and might be my favorite of the season. I think last weeks episode may have been the most lackluster and it was still pretty enjoyable.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
I finally watched Day of the Doctor. It was pretty amazing. Since we don't have a cable channel that shows the new stuff; I don't think I've seen any past one or two Matt Smith.

I have seen one of last year's though.

Has anyone started a netflix type subscription to watch past episodes?