Who's your bowl MVP?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
With all due respect to ARob, because he played like a man, I'm going with the entire defense. Once again, despite being a unit that doesn't look too good on paper, they scratched and clawed, and kept us in the game while our offense was turning the ball over and stuck in neutral for long stretches of the game.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
He may not have been the MVP of the game, but Jessie Smith made one of the most important plays of the game when he reached in and caused the game deciding fumble. He had no chance to make the tackle, but he never gave up on the play. It just exemplified the kind of effort that transformed him from a walk-on to first team all Big 12 middle linebacker. Man, we're going to miss him.

Reactions: dualthreat
S

st8

With all due respect to ARob, because he played like a man, I'm going with the entire defense. Once again, despite being a unit that doesn't look too good on paper, they scratched and clawed, and kept us in the game while our offense was turning the ball over and stuck in neutral for long stretches of the game.

Jesse Smith - If he doesnt poke that ball out, minnesota most likely keeps that drive going and scores at least a field goal. We had not scored yet in the half. plus it seemed like he was always around the ball making plays. I would pick him individually over the entire defense because there are some guys on that side of the ball that had a bad outing and couldnt seem to cover anyone (how many wide open receivers did minny have at times?)

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
He may not have been the MVP of the game, but Jessie Smith made one of the most important plays of the game when he reached in and caused the game deciding fumble. He had no chance to make the tackle, but he never gave up on the play. It just exemplified the kind of effort that transformed him from a walk-on to first team all Big 12 middle linebacker. Man, we're going to miss him.

I agree. The play of the game. I saw one report that said that their freshman qb just lost the ball "untouched", but that is BS. Jesse knocked it out. Great way to finish up an awesome career.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
Smith had a great game changing play. Christopher Lyle played a great game start to finish. Was not impressed with the DB play.

S

st8

Smith had a great game changing play. Christopher Lyle played a great game start to finish. Was not impressed with the DB play.

and I suppose he did win defensive player of the game. it's just hard not to say the guy that caused the biggest game changing play in smith's forced fumble

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Fred Garrin had a hell of a football game. May not have led in tackles, but he was never out of position once. Their bubble screens were ineffective all game because of him....which we have never done well with before. My vote goes to Garrin.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Jesse Smith for sure. Without him looking to knock the ball out while being blocked, we likely aren't as happy this morning.

ARob is a close second.

Nate Frere was all over the place too.

And an honorable mention goes to the offense the series after the Jesse Smith caused fumble for actually running out the clock. Ya, we didn't click on on cylinders a lot of the game but the last thing my nerves needed was to go three and out and then punt the ball back to Minny with 1:30 on the clock

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
Offense: ARob. Glad we've got one more year.

Defense: Jesse Smith. God I'm going to miss him.

Honorary: Jamie Pollard. His wheeling/dealing got us into a bowl game we had the best shot of winning.
Independence Bowl: Georgia 44, A&M 20
Texas Bowl: Navy 35, Mizzou 13
Insight Bowl: ISU 14, Minnesota 13

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I don't know if he should be the MVP, but Mike Brandtner did a h*ll of a job punting the ball yesterday. I remember that one punt where he slipped and almost had it blocked, but it still went 40+ yards. That last punt to pin them deep at their own 1 (the drive where Smith forced the fumble) was huge too.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
I don't know if he should be the MVP, but Mike Brandtner did a h*ll of a job punting the ball yesterday. I remember that one punt where he slipped and almost had it blocked, but it still went 40+ yards. That last punt to pin them deep at their own 1 (the drive where Smith forced the fumble) was huge too.

That was an incredible recovery! He slipped, and did kind of a funny hop thing and somehow got it off for a good result.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Offense: ARob. Glad we've got one more year.

Defense: Jesse Smith. God I'm going to miss him.

Honorary: Jamie Pollard. His wheeling/dealing got us into a bowl game we had the best shot of winning.
Independence Bowl: Georgia 44, A&M 20
Texas Bowl: Navy 35, Mizzou 13
Insight Bowl: ISU 14, Minnesota 13

Amen to that. Still cant believe of the 3 possibilities we got the best bowl AND the weakest opponent. That beling said since JP is not a player my vote also goes to Garrin.

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
Sim's -MVP
Interception, bringing the wood. We lose without Sim's, without him fake punt goes for a score. Entire D played great for most of the game.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
the play of both tight ends was awsome-i cast my vote to both of our tight ends.