Who's headed to the United Center?

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
From OHare to UC, you'd probably have to hop on a bus at some point.
Anyone going to the United Center from the OHare area can catch the Blue Line at the Rosemont or Cumberland Stations. Both have a good amount of parking available. From there it is about a 45 minute ride to the Illinois Medical District stop and a 10 minute walk to the arena.

Reactions: NWICY and jsb

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Man sucks I am seven years removed from living a couple miles away.

For those who think the UC and surrounding area suck or is dangerous. The area is gentrifying rapidly. Not dangerous with big event like this going, by the time I moved I would regularly ride my bike around there.

River East neighborhood near downtown just east of UC has some of the best restaurants in the world. Or just downtown in general is not far.

Just north a couple miles my old neighborhood wicker park/bucktown is crazy fun nightlife and live rock clubs if you like that. More fun than Wrigleyville imho and much closer.

Either are walking distance on nice day…maybe 20-30 minute walk but possible…or really short cab or Uber.

Last time for the Virginia game, they had shuttles that ran kind of close to the bean up there. We did that.

Agree on the area around UC. It's not bad but there just wasn't anything there. Good to hear it's getting better around it.

I think we're going again. I just think these guys deserve our support and we'll have an awesome time.

Pending my friend finding a babysitter, we are in. I’ve never been to a sweet 16 game. (I have been to our first/second round games in 1986, 2000, 2014, and 2017. What do those have in common? All but one were sweet 16 teams, so my record is 7-1.)

What’s the parking situation?

Also it is almost the same price to buy full session tickets.

I will say I wouldn't expect a great atmosphere. KU will own all the tickets and a bunch of them will likely leave. It's kind of dead with a lot of empty spaces. But I've always enjoyed myself.

Parking is non-existent around the UC. Don't bother.

Reactions: HFCS and NWICY

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Last time for the Virginia game, they had shuttles that ran kind of close to the bean up there. We did that.

I think we're going again. I just think these guys deserve our support and we'll have an awesome time.

I will say I wouldn't expect a great atmosphere. KU will own all the tickets and a bunch of them will likely leave. It's kind of dead with a lot of empty spaces. But I've always enjoyed myself.

Parking is non-existent around the UC. Don't bother.

Thanks! Ticketmaster has a parking pass for $27 to some lot k. That seems like a good deal. But there must be a catch.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Thanks! Ticketmaster has a parking pass for $27 to some lot k. That seems like a good deal. But there must be a catch.

I'd take that honestly, but I didn't even try last time.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'm mulling it.

I really want to.

But I'm kind of having cashflow issues now having just bought a house and still having a few months of rent to go on the current place and my wife not having started her new job that'll pay her four times as much.

At least a $1,000 (if not $2,000) trip inclusive of everything.

The games look really nice on the big TV, too.

Should I, /cf/?

Slide down to Greensborough and support the women for a fraction of the price?

Reactions: AlaCyclone

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
In 2016, Park Tavern a couple blocks from the UC, held an ISU gathering before the game. A lot of the bars in the West Loop, a mile or so East of the UC, offers free shuttle service to the UC for Bulls and Blackhawk games. Im sure they’ll have something similar for this.

Reactions: Travb814

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

For those who think the UC and surrounding area suck or is dangerous. The area is gentrifying rapidly. Not dangerous with big event like this going, by the time I moved I would regularly ride my bike around there.

River East neighborhood near downtown just east of UC has some of the best restaurants in the world. Or just downtown in general is not far.

Just north a couple miles my old neighborhood wicker park/bucktown is crazy fun nightlife and live rock clubs if you like that. More fun than Wrigleyville imho and much closer.

Either are walking distance on nice day…maybe 20-30 minute walk but possible…or really short cab or Uber.
I've spent a lot of time in the Wicker Park area. Love the local bar scene up there!

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

IMO the reason why the UC gets a bad rap is because of the logistics since there really aren't many hotels that are close by.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Ideally we would. But the person I’m with might want a car handy. Where would you pick it up? We’d be over by O’Hare.

Take the Blue Line from O'hare to Damon and Cab it from there.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Back in the old days you had to find a parking spot on the street and "hire" a neighborhood kid to watch your car. Wheels at least would be gone if you didn't.
Used to ride Douglas Park L west @ 11:00 PM. Never got mugged back then but would now.

CyBuck1

Mar 3, 2012
Chicago
Sitting in the 300 level for $200+ on the low end is really questionable. Fun place to see a game, but if I'm not in the 1st/2nd row not sure it's worth it. Most tickets I've seen available are the top half rows, which for the money aren't worth it. The Alumni Club main hangout is at Murphy's, which is across from Wrigley Field. It will be packed, and I'm sure the whole Wrigleyville area should have lots of Cyclone fans.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Sitting in the 300 level for $200+ on the low end is really questionable. Fun place to see a game, but if I'm not in the 1st/2nd row not sure it's worth it. Most tickets I've seen available are the top half rows, which for the money aren't worth it. The Alumni Club main hangout is at Murphy's, which is across from Wrigley Field. It will be packed, and I'm sure the whole Wrigleyville area should have lots of Cyclone fans.
As some preiously mentioned - after the KU game, plenty of folks will leave, and you can move down. If I were going, I'd just buy the least expensive pair and move down for ISU game.

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er

RandomFan

Aug 11, 2009
My wife and I are going. I just didn’t tell her how much the tickets cost

We were there for the Virginia game too, but I can’t remember what hotel we stayed at. I think it was downtown and a lot of ISU people and media members. Hoping we can find a similar atmosphere for our hotel this time around.

Reactions: LSGOST8

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

It’s a personal thing but it’s almost always more fun to be there in person.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
Hope ISU fan base steps up and gives this team some support in Chicago. I was surprised so few fans were in Milwaukee... Tickets were ridiculous but worth every penny. It was so cool to see all the players in the stands mingling with the fans for at least 15-20 minutes at the end of the game. Tyrese must of taken pictures with at least 100 fans including my 12 year old. The players all seem like they are genuinely good kids. Cyclone nation needs to make the UC Hilton east.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I booked the Embassy Suites on Columbus downtown as they have self parking, but I can cancel through Thursday if I can't convince my wife to go. We didn't do anything for spring break, so could be a fun weekend in Chicago. Also would bring my 8yr old twins and a 5 yr old so we'll see....

Reactions: NWICY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I booked the Embassy Suites on Columbus downtown as they have self parking, but I can cancel through Thursday if I can't convince my wife to go. We didn't do anything for spring break, so could be a fun weekend in Chicago. Also would bring my 8yr old twins and a 5 yr old so we'll see....
Have stayed there before. The ramp and the getting into the hotel situation is unique IIRC.

Reactions: cdface

Help Support Us

Become a patron