Who would you say is the most loved Cyclone

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
at this point. Fred would have easily been the man two years ago. However, I am starting to think Georges Niang is working his way to the top. I brought this up because Niang is doing a golf outing and building a home for Habitat sometime in July. He really seems to love the state and Iowa State in general. Obviously Fred is a great guy. However, with him leaving ISU to go to the Bulls I think he lost a little luster from some fans.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Fred Hoiberg is not only Iowa State, but he is Ames in general. Not too many people have the kind of success he has in their own backyard.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I immediately thought of Niang. I also think if you made a list this would vary by age because I don't even have Fred in my top five (for myself) since I'm too young to remember him playing.

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
Eric Heft is a freaking stud too. Matt Campbell is moving up the ranks as well. He's not in the top 50 but the class & drive he has shown #cyclONEnation is impressive

Reactions: cymac2408

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
BTW a few other names Gary Thomspon the Roland Rocket and Pete Taylor. However, I don't think a lot of the younger people realize how much they were and are Iowa State as well.

I'd go with either Pete or Johnny. I guess it depends on how old you are. I grew up listening to Pete on the radio. I don't know that the later generations will have that same connection with John Walters with so much being on TV these days.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'd go with either Pete or Johnny. I guess it depends on how old you are. I grew up listening to Pete on the radio. I don't know that the later generations will have that same connection with John Walters with so much being on TV these days.
I connect with John Walters more than I did with Pete; I didn't follow the team so much when my kids were still home & I was schlepping all over Iowa for their extra curriculars & games/meets/matches...

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
FB player- Trice
BB Player Niang. Stevens I loved as a player, but the love Niang shows towards ISU is not just found everyday.
BB coach Johnny
Announcer Pete Taylor. JW does great but I spent hours listening to Pete for both FB & BB. One of the few people I didn't know personally but was truly sad when they died.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames

I agree with both over all. Niang is someone special for sure. Not Hoiberg, that ship sailed.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Gary Thompson, because he has spent the last 50 years representing and supporting Iowa State with his time and his money. In his day he was a very good TV analyst, obviously a good player, and a good ambassador for Iowa State in a lot of areas.

Fred and Georges and the any of the future stars have a lot of work to do to match Gary, but I hope they get there by the time they are in their late 70's.