Who would CFH chose

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
LOL. Even within those parameters, there are much better options than Homan.

It's got to be Fizer or Tinsley, though. If there's one trait that defines Fred's coaching style (other than being completely awesome), it's that he takes the best talent he can, regardless of their position, and designs a system around them.

I think Fred would pick someone who adds something the team doesn't have. I don't think he would pick someone who would steal the limelight from the guys he already wants as stars. So, I read the OP as asking what player would make these players even better.

Hence, Homan. He would get big defenders caught up in physical play and maybe even get them into foul trouble. He would protect the lane so other guys could over-pursue on defense. He would keep rebounds alive on the offensive end. He wouldn't take anything away from anyone, except maybe Edozie. Can you imagine Homan and McKay playing together for 10 minutes per game? Our guards would go wild.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
I would have loved to have seen what CFH would have done with Wesley Johnson. He really excelled in the Syracuse system and I think that Hoiberg's system would have suited him really well also.

You beat me to it. I was going to say Wesley Johnson or even go bold and say Harrison Barnes because if Fred was coach then he would have had the opportunity to coach them.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
I think Fred would pick someone who adds something the team doesn't have. I don't think he would pick someone who would steal the limelight from the guys he already wants as stars. So, I read the OP as asking what player would make these players even better.

Hence, Homan. He would get big defenders caught up in physical play and maybe even get them into foul trouble. He would protect the lane so other guys could over-pursue on defense. He would keep rebounds alive on the offensive end. He wouldn't take anything away from anyone, except maybe Edozie. Can you imagine Homan and McKay playing together for 10 minutes per game? Our guards would go wild.

Like I said, even within those parameters...Homan??? You're telling me that if you had Victor Alexander, Kelvin Cato, Loren Meyer, Marcus Fizer, Don Smith, and even Jackson Vroman standing in a lineup, you'd walk past them all and take Jared Homan?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Adam Woodbury
Aaron White
Mike Gessell

...would never be considered.

Good thing you added the last part or I would tell you to add an F in the third spot of your username.

Last edited:

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
I would be content with the starting 5 of
PG- Monte Morris
SG- Bryce Dejean-Jones
PG/PF-Royce White
SF-Georges Niang
C- Jameel McKay

Allow Royce to play the Lebron James position and holy fast break/transition buckets batman!!

Many years from now I would be telling my grandchildren of all the alley-oops that were thrown down in Hilton this season...

clonetil01

Nov 23, 2009
Fizer or Grayer

Anyone picking White must not have watched the Fizer era too much. He was a much better scorer, better rebounder and could make FTs. It's also easy to forget that Fizer was a really good passer, but with Tinsley on the team, it wasn't that necessary. White was really good, but not the player Fizer was. The only guy I see in Fizer's category is Grayer, and he was a better overall player, just didn't get as much exposure as he was one of the foundations in ISU Bball becoming something to watch.

MuseumFaux

May 9, 2014
Ames
You beat me to it. I was going to say Wesley Johnson or even go bold and say Harrison Barnes because if Fred was coach then he would have had the opportunity to coach them.

I actually wrote Harrison down as well, but decided that it was outside of the original question so I took him off of my list. :) I figure in a fantasy hypothetical like this one it is a fun 'what-if'.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
IMO Fizer over White for sure, anyone remember some of Royce's lethargic games, drove me nuts. However if you could give UConn/Kentucky Royce every night we'd be set. Marcus was unstoppable period.

Jeff Grayer was a STUD, Olympian, and without knee troubles might have been a very good NBA baller.

Tinsley would be an upgrade at his position as would Fizer. So I would take either 1. Niang and Fizer down low would be very tough to stop. The only problem we would be having is who would be our finisher late in games, I would hate to see any friction there.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
PG- Monte Morris
SG- Bryce Dejean-Jones
PG/PF-Royce White
SF-Georges Niang
C- Jameel McKay

Allow Royce to play the Lebron James position and holy fast break/transition buckets batman!!

Many years from now I would be telling my grandchildren of all the alley-oops that were thrown down in Hilton this season...

I think you will be anyway, I have a feeling there will be a few this year.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
BARRY STEVENS

I am not sure we have a dead-eye jump shooter on this team that plays with supreme confidence. Barry Stevens is the best SG/SF scorer at ISU in the last 30+ years. Grayer was a better all-around player.

The other type of:player we are missing is a physical inside defender. Homan fits that role. Vroman and Victor Alexander would be other considerations.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
PG- Monte Morris
SG- Bryce Dejean-Jones
PG/PF-Royce White
SF-Georges Niang
C- Jameel McKay

If you could have either McGee, Naz, or thug life coming off the bench for this team, then that would be insane. All that team is missing is a deadly 3 point shooter, so that's why you would need someone like that giving significant minutes

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Justus Thigpen or Dedrick Willoughby to take BDJ's starting spot.

Last edited:

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
LOL. Even within those parameters, there are much better options than Homan.

It's got to be Fizer or Tinsley, though. If there's one trait that defines Fred's coaching style (other than being completely awesome), it's that he takes the best talent he can, regardless of their position, and designs a system around them.
My thoughts exactly

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
I would pick Hornacek over Tinsley, he could get to the basket, a very good passer, and a great clutch shooter. Tinsley was not a shooter.

It would be a lot of fun to see Stevens, Grayer, or Hornacek with a full roster of 8-10 weapons that we will have next year and coach with a proven process to win on the road.