Who would CFH chose

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
LOL. Even within those parameters, there are much better options than Homan.

It's got to be Fizer or Tinsley, though. If there's one trait that defines Fred's coaching style (other than being completely awesome), it's that he takes the best talent he can, regardless of their position, and designs a system around them.

I'm inclined to agree, though I lean toward Tinsley. The real question is which player would make everyone around them better and for that criteria, Tinsley wins hands down. Who is going to stop him from getting to any place on the floor he wants to? And, when help comes, there is no one better at finding others in scoring position.

Royce would actually be a combination of Fizer/Tinsley with his strength, ball handling, and passing ability.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Royce and Georges would be soo ridiculously unfair for teams to try to matchup with on offense.

As for defense... coach 'em up!!

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Another vote for Fizer as option 1, and White as 1b.

My second choice (given need) is a shooter - so perhaps a Sullivan or Willoughby or McGee (or Hoiberg)

Think we're pretty good down low from what I gather with McKay. Obviously Niang is solid. Sounds like BDJ is a bit of a slasher/scorer. We have good shooting with Long, hopefully Thomas improves and we'll see what the new crew brings in to add to that. Should be solid at PG with Morris and Custer.

A big body who can defend some and create his own shot or a dead eye from outside.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
I think Tinsley is tough to pick against but also really like the idea of Babb coming back. He had great size and was an above-average shooter(wish he would have put it on the floor a little more). But his ability to shut down the opposing teams best perimeter threat consistently was amazing.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Well, considering what we already have now where we might have something missing/something to upgrade...

The positions below are just a quick interpretation of Fred's offense...

Point Guards - Morris, Custer
Shooters - Long, Thomas
Wings - Hogue, BDJ, Nader
Stretch Posts - Niang, The Greek
True Post - McKay

So could you find better past players for any of these roles...

Point guards - Tinsley, Kane
Shooters - Hornacek, Hoiberg, Thompson, Babb (not a bad shooter and an incredible defender)
Wings - Grayer, Stevens
Stretch Post - Ejim, White, Brackins
True Post - Fizer, Cato

-

No offense to Monte Morris, but Tinsley would be a massive upgrade there.

Likewise to Naz/Thomas to get Hornacek, Hoiberg, Christopherson, or McGee.

Wings, I'm not so sure there is a clear-cut upgrade given the style of the modern game and how much those three have already proven/how well they fit Fred's newfangled style.

Bringing Ejim back would be awesome, but probably not as much as Royce White for just being a completely unique (and, at times, dominant) sort of player.

Fizer would be awesome teamed with Niang and do well in the go-go-score game that Fred has us run. Cato was incredibly, yes, but I imagine McKay covers some of that ability.

-

I can't really decide. I would think our weakness is going to be defense (like it always seems to be), which argues for a Babb to play their best defender and/or Cato to protect the rim, but I feel McKay might have that covered. Upgrading to Tinsley at point guard makes sense, too, given it all flows through that combo guard position in the modern college game. Our current crop of shooters is really good, but not "great," which would mean it would be really nice to have the player Fred around, too. I could so see Fizer, probably the best player in school history, tearing it up in this system and feeding off Niang and the shooters all day long, too. Royce is just Royce for, again, being this unique sort of point power forward/point center for us.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
I think we need Skogs. True Center in the middle.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I would have loved to see CFH coach Brackins and build a team around him.

I think Fred would take Tinsley first though.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I know Brackins will never get the recognition he deserves because he is defined by the GMAC era but can you imagine Craig playing for Fred? Talk about creating mismatches.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I know Brackins will never get the recognition he deserves because he is defined by the GMAC era but can you imagine Craig playing for Fred? Talk about creating mismatches.

Isn't Craig basically the highest-rated recruit we've ever had?

I can't think of one off the top my head that would be higher.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Tyrus McGee. I fear that we won't have enough derpth this year and he could really help off the bench.

​Hopefully jimlad not necessary

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Here's a list of players he would bring back:
Bubu Palo
Percy Gibson
Luca Steiger
KJ Bluford

Just think how much better the team would be with just one of those guys. Then maybe even throw in an Anthony Booker type, and you would be set.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Top 5 to add to this team:
1.) Royce, he would make Georges insanely good
2.) Fizer, this team has a lot of guards, why not add one of the best players to ever wear a cyclone uniform, ever?
3.) Deadeye, this team could use a knock shooter. Dedric was a pretty good overall player, but he really excelled here
4.) Babb, this team needs a lockdown perimeter defender. Maybe BDJ is that guy, but who knows.
5.) McThree, just as good as Dedric from beyond the 3 point line.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
For realz this time:

1. Tinsley
2. White
3. Fizer

end of the game, who does the other team guard? 3sus? Niang? or White? Tinsley? Fizer? Absolute nightmare for opposing coaches. They would probably get less sleep that the coach for NCC we played in the NCCA Tournament.

MuseumFaux

May 9, 2014
Ames
I would have loved to have seen what CFH would have done with Wesley Johnson. He really excelled in the Syracuse system and I think that Hoiberg's system would have suited him really well also.

Help Support Us

Become a patron