Who will be the starting lineup for the first game?

Who will start the first game of the season?

• PG-Kane, SG-Thomas, SF-Hogue, PF-Ejim, C-Niang

Votes: 37 42.5%
  • PG-Kane, SG-Thomas, SF-Ejim, PF-Niang, C-Percy

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • PG-Morris, SG-Kane, SF-Hogue, PF-Ejim, C-Niang

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • PG-Morris, SG-Kane, SF-Ejim, PF-Niang, C-Percy

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • PG-Kane, SG-Thomas, SF-Dorsey-Walker, PF-Ejim, C-Niang

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • PG-Morris, SG-Thomas, SF-Kane, PF-Ejim, C-Niang

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nallen34

Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
I know people hate these threads but I wanted to see who everyone thinks will be in the starting lineup for the first game.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I think 1 or 2 will be right eventually, but I think Naz or SDW will start game 1 over Thomas. This is just based off of Percy, who led to team in scoring game 1 w/ 17, starting over Georges early last year.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
I went with the first choice, but there are so many line-ups that look just as effective. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I still don't see either Hogue of Ejim playing a lot of three for us. Maybe I'm wrong, but I expect it to be Kane, Thomas, Dorsey-Walker, Ejim, Niang.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Kane, Ejim, Niang are dead-solid locks.

I'd say there's a seven man race for the other two spots.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I think we start big with a front court of Ejim/Niang/Gibson. Same as last year.

Honestly, any situation where Percy has earned the right to start would be ideal for this team.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Georges Niang didn't start at the beginning of last season so I'd say Monte Morris and Matt Thomas also probably won't start right away. The line-up will change 5+ times before the conference schedule starts.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Hogue and Percy will need to step up or Thomas and Morris will be the guards with Kane as a shooting forward. I know Fred will get the producers on the floor in the end.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
I hope Gibson has exponentially improved from last season. I'll give him a break, lots of players get sophomore blues. I would like to see him start if he has earned it. I remember Niang and Gibson working well together in some games last year.

Most excited to see SDW play. Kid can light it up from 3 and is extremely athletic. He had offers to Indiana and Michigan, so that says something to me. Also excited to see if KJ Bluford can fill the void left by McGee. Not expecting him to be another McGee completely but if he can be half the player McGee was plus better on defense that'd be great.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Also, forgot to mention but Naz Long is another player that better be ready to step up. Coaches raved about him in the summer and rightfully so. He is a big guard and it looks like he has improved his jump shot a ton and he can get into the lane with his size. More so, he wants to be great on defense which is something you can't "teach" the player has to have the right attitude that "I'm going to shut down the player I'm guarding" We're going to need that this year.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
I really think SDW is going to start the season. He redshirted and the staff loves this guy and has talked about how much he's beefed up and worked on his game. Hogue will get quality minutes when/if SDW struggles.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Niang is different. We had Ejim and Gibson returning, plus it's easier for guards to step in right away.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I’m struggling with this poll. So many unknown/unproven team members, it’s difficult to assess. With Palo’s dismissal, some of the guesswork has become even more difficult.

My crystal ball is unreliable, but here it goes anyway:

Starting unit in the opener: Kane, Dorsey-Walker, Ejim, Niang, Gibson.
Second guess: Long, Kane, Ejim, Niang, Gibson.
Third guess: Long/Kane, Kane/Dorsey-Walker, Hogue, Ejim, Niang.

For some reason, I don’t expect to see Morris or Thomas in starting unit immediately (definitely not both).

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I’m struggling with this poll. So many unknown/unproven team members, it’s difficult to assess. With Palo’s dismissal, some of the guesswork has become even more difficult.

My crystal ball is unreliable, but here it goes anyway:

Starting unit in the opener: Kane, Dorsey-Walker, Ejim, Niang, Gibson.
Second guess: Long, Kane, Ejim, Niang, Gibson.
Third guess: Long/Kane, Kane/Dorsey-Walker, Hogue, Ejim, Niang.

For some reason, I don’t expect to see Morris or Thomas in starting unit immediately (definitely not both).

Agreed