Who was the TRUE villain in Jurassic Park?

What was the TRUE villain in Jurassic Park?

• Total voters

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
In reply to the OP, it is obviously Hammond.

He was the boss. He is ultimately responsible.

jurassicpark1.jpg

Was just doing what any CEO would. What was it that Mr Pink said on the asteroid?

"You realize we're sitting on 45,000 pounds of fuel, one nuclear warhead and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest bidder?"

Reactions: oldman

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
The correct answer isn't even listed. It's the island. The island provided the climate for dinosaurs to flourish, and because it's in a tropical climate it means rainstorms happen more frequently which sets off the chain reaction of events in Jurassic Park. Also since the island is in a remote location, any sort of help or reinforcements are harder to come by.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The correct answer isn't even listed. It's the island. The island provided the climate for dinosaurs to flourish, and because it's in a tropical climate it means rainstorms happen more frequently which sets off the chain reaction of events in Jurassic Park. Also since the island is in a remote location, any sort of help or reinforcements are harder to come by.

All good points but it was Laura Dern.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
In reply to the OP, it is obviously Hammond.

He was the boss. He is ultimately responsible.

jurassicpark1.jpg
I always found that ironic how Hammond continually mentioned that he spared no expense but contracted out programming the entire park to the lowest bidder.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
It depends.

In the novel Chrichton paints the villain in two different ways.

The First and more obvious is Dodgson/Biosyn with the corporate espionage and trying to steal the embryos.

The Second is Hammond for trying to play god and do things man was not meant to do (contain and control nature, then profit off of it)

The movie is obviously just the greed of Dodgson/ Nedry.

I am a huge fan of both the book and novel.

Last edited:

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
The Lawyer is only doing his job...at the request of the island owner (rich, British dude)...to help legitimize the crazy place. He had no desire to be there. Guy might be a newlywed. A young associate at the firm. Two young kids...plus a LOAD of debt...you know, law school and all...but with not enough to think it's tooooo much.

"I can get out of this and provide for my family."

Villain? Not him.
The reason why the lawyer (paleontologist, paleobotanist, and mathematician) is there was at the request of the INGEN board of directors because of a recent accident involving a worker and a dinosaur (opening scene with Muldoon "SHOOT HER!!"). Hammond hopes they sign off on that the park is safe so they can put the incident at the beginning behind them.

I know you were joking in your post but I jus wanted to post the true reason why the guests were on the island in the first place.

Reactions: enisthemenace

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Was just doing what any CEO would. What was it that Mr Pink said on the asteroid?

"You realize we're sitting on 45,000 pounds of fuel, one nuclear warhead and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest bidder?"
Mr Pink? That was Oscar...and he wasn't on the asteroid, he was on the shuttle. smh...

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Yeah...my bad on where he was when he said it. The point is still valid.

Also...it was Rockhound, played by Steve Buscemi. Buscemi's character in Reservoir Dogs was Mr Pink.

I was just having some fun.

We're both REALLY REALLY bad at this game, ya know? :D

Rockhound: You know we're sitting on four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest bidder. Makes you feel good, doesn't it?

By the way - I was just playing, too. :)

Reactions: enisthemenace

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It depends.

In the novel Chrichton paints the villain in two different ways.

The First and more obvious is Dodgson/Biosyn with the corporate espionage and trying to steal the embryos.

The Second is Hammond for trying to play god and do things man was not meant to do (contain and control nature, then profit off of it)

The movie is obviously just the greed of Dodgson/ Nedry.

I am a huge fan of both the book and novel.

The book and the novel? :p

You are right one of the strengths of the book over the movie was developing more of the villains -- Dodgson and his agenda of corporate espionage, Nedry and his desire for $$$ and revenge for his humiliation by Hammond, and Hammond I will come back to.

Unfortunately, the movie had to simplify this, even if the Dodgson and Nedry scene is very efficient exposition and hilarious to this day ("We got Dodgson here! Nobody cares. What's with the hat?") What the movie did to Hammond is the more interesting one, to me.

In the book, Hammond is basically Walt Disney... Greedy, vain, egotistical, determined to make a lot of money and a huge name for himself and not really caring who or what gets in his way, probably does not like the Jews and communists, and playing fast and lose with the truth. In the movie, probably mostly because Richard Attenborough was a genius and so effective at playing a kindly, genuine, and grandfatherly man, Hammond is basically a romanticized, Disney version of Walt Disney. Lovable but without the same thematic depth and the same level of development of hubris that came with the rather nastier book version of Hammond. He was also a condescending jerk to Nedry, who was not the nicest of guy in the first place, but Hammond was mutually abusive with him to the point something bad was going to happen.

The book also made it clear Hammond's complicity in a series of bad decisions that led to the breakdown of the park, such as hiring cheaper, less qualified staff, lying to potential investors about their technology and progress, covering up the raptor attacks and failing to take them, in particular, seriously, and relying on unproven automation technology in order to cut costs despite the risks that it entailed in park operations. Hammond also disallowed the dissection of a dilophosaurus because of the incredible expense in creating such an animal, even if that was the only way to find a way to remove their poison glands.

The book also gives that character's arc a "fitting" ending in being killed by compies, something that happened with no dramatic weight in the underwhelming sequel.

One of the worst scenes in Jurassic Park is Hammond and Sadler talking over dinner, the "Once we have control of it!" scene. It comes off as melodramatic and neither character seems to behave in character -- mostly because they lifted Sadler's dialogue from Malcolm, who was unfortunately sidelined in the movie (but kept talking in the book), and because they did not develop Hammond's hubris in the movie as in the book. Hammond's part in Malcolm's "your selling it, you're selling it" scene earlier is also underwhelming simply because the kindly grandfather Hammond is not nearly the foil to Malcolm's point that the corporatism version would be. In the movie, it feels like Malcolm is attacking a strawman -- not the proper novel Hammond.

Then again, the Third Act "hunt for the raptor nest" in the novel version is terrible, and the elevation of Gennaro (the novel version, a good man, not the movie's sniveling lawyer) from a relatively minor character to the main character at the end, at the expense of better characters like Grant, Malcolm, Sadler, Arnold, and Muldoon, was a poor choice, as well.

Last edited:

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Dr. Henry Wu - took shortcuts without realizing the consequences in Jurassic Park and was straight up unethical/reckless in his creating Indominus Rex and other hybrids as weapons in Jurassic World.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Dr. Henry Wu - took shortcuts without realizing the consequences in Jurassic Park and was straight up unethical/reckless in his creating Indominus Rex and other hybrids as weapons in Jurassic World.

Referring to the frog DNA and stuff like that?