Who really won the competition at QB?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Without even reading between the lines it appears that CPR's comments clearly indicate Jantz won the competition outright and Tiller was not in the picture for the future.

CPR - "Rhoads expects Tiller to remain with the team and left open the possibility that Tiller could change positions in the future."

You wouldn't mention a position change if Tiller was in the QB picture.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
Without even reading between the lines it appears that CPR's comments clearly indicate Jantz won the competition outright and Tiller was not in the picture for the future.

CPR - "Rhoads expects Tiller to remain with the team and left open the possibility that Tiller could change positions in the future."

You wouldn't mention a position change if Tiller was in the QB picture.

Watching the video, he answered that quickly by the way. I really don't care who the QB is. I just want to win. Go Steele!

Z

SpRiNgLiMe

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2007
Ames
Agreed. Plus he came out and said that Jantz won the position outright in his post scrimmage interview and said that was only a coincidence that they got the grade reports in and found Tiller to be academically ineligible for 2011.

Happy to hear the things I've heard tonight about the future of Cyclone football. Congrats to Jantz as it looks like his hard work has paid off.

2 weeks!

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I think Jantz probably won it. tiller always seemed like a pretty mediocre qb to me; he is kind of fast but not fast enough to be able to make huge plays with his legs on a consistent basis, which is what you need when you don't have the best throwing accuracy and mechanics. Anyways congrats to Jantz, I'm excited to see what he can do this coming season!

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Players have had a good idea for a long time that Jantz was the starter. They didn't find out about Tiller until this week.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Really? We have to question who the starter is even after the the other guy is ineligible?

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
In CW's video Herman said he thought Jantz would probably been surprised if he wasn't named the starter because of how the reps we're being distributed that last week of camp. So Jantz new it was coming most likely.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Really? We have to question who the starter is even after the the other guy is ineligible?

Well, the real reason is deeper. People want to know if Steele is better than what we had as the status quo, which was tiller. Steele being announced as a starter wouldve said 'yes', but obviously with the ineligibility that opens that question up again for some (though it looks like Steele was the starter before this happened, so we have our answer)

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Well, the real reason is deeper. People want to know if Steele is better than what we had as the status quo, which was tiller. Steele being announced as a starter wouldve said 'yes', but obviously with the ineligibility that opens that question up again for some (though it looks like Steele was the starter before this happened, so we have our answer)

So in other words, the question was stupid to begin with?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So in other words, the question was stupid to begin with?

No, not at all. Its not unreasonable at all to be asking who wouldve been the starter if Tiller hadnt been ineligible. If the answer was Tiller, that wouldve said 'damn, then this is a loss'. If the answer was Jantz (as it is) it says 'great, then we've got improvement at QB'

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
No, not at all. Its not unreasonable at all to be asking who wouldve been the starter if Tiller hadnt been ineligible. If the answer was Tiller, that wouldve said 'damn, then this is a loss'. If the answer was Jantz (as it is) it says 'great, then we've got improvement at QB'

So, like I said, the question was dumb.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
Steele won it; CPR said so. When asked if JT or JB would have been the #2, he said he wouldn't comment. He was honest about SJ, but didn't want to have to say that JT would have been the #2 and wasn't going to lie.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Steele won it; CPR said so. When asked if JT or JB would have been the #2, he said he wouldn't comment. He was honest about SJ, but didn't want to have to say that JT would have been the #2 and wasn't going to lie.

I took CPR's response as that it doesn't do anyone any good to answer the question. If Tiller was going to be #2 then it shakes Barnett's confidence. If Barnett was going to be #2 then it unnecessarily buries Tiller even more. JT is a talented athlete that can help this team farther down the line.

Cyclone46

May 14, 2009
Charleston, SC
We could also assume that CPR and staff knew long before today that "our new scout team QB" was not going to be playing this year. It would have been a pretty good move to make Jantz believe he won it on merit rather than anything else. Summer grades have been out for weeks which would have been enough time to give Jantz more snaps and build him up to believe that he won the spot. You can't tell me that CPR is shocked by this turn of events and just found out today.

The real answer to the question of who actually won is...it doesn't matter. We have a starting QB and a scout team QB. Nobody will ever know who the best is. They were close enough until a few weeks ago that either can evidently do the job well. One has it and the other ****** it down his leg.