Who really is Big XII Coach of the Year?

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
You birds who love Self, you're comparing apples and oranges. It would be great to give Johnson a fistful of McDonald's All Americans. Then if he had a comparable record, we could talk.

Besides, winning is not necessarily proof of just good coaching. Best coach in the world loses sometimes. Look at Fred.

Kutroutfan

Feb 27, 2013
You birds who love Self, you're comparing apples and oranges. It would be great to give Johnson a fistful of McDonald's All Americans. Then if he had a comparable record, we could talk.

Besides, winning is not necessarily proof of just good coaching. Best coach in the world loses sometimes. Look at Fred.

------
Of course I think it should be Bill Self. Lost two top three NBA picks and won 11 in the toughest league. That's good stuff.

But I also think Hoiberg and (can't believe I'm saying this) Scott Drew did excellent this year.

And I love my Hawks. Die hard. But, gun to my head, I think Iowa State is the best team in the conference RIGHT NOW.

Absolute props to what Coach Hoiberg has done at Iowa State. Dude is ice and dude is class.

Reactions: ExCyment

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
What was Stanford's record in the seven years before he got there?

Mike Montgomery's conference winning % at Stanford was 0.654. Trent Johnson's conference winning % at Stanford was 0.625.

To answer the question I asked, Johnson's conference record in the six years prior to the ones you listed was 71-35 (1 year LSU, 4 years Stanford, 1 year Nevada), with 5 NCAA tourney appearances.

So perhaps Johnson isn't as good a coach as Mike Montgomery, but your assertion that he isn't a good coach, or that he is alot closer to being a bad coach, seems silly.

Last edited:

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Mike Montgomery's conference winning % at Stanford was 0.654. Trent Johnson's conference winning % at Stanford was 0.625.

To answer the question I asked, Johnson's conference record in the six years prior to the ones you listed was 71-35 (1 year LSU, 4 years Stanford, 1 year Nevada).

So perhaps Johnson isn't as good a coach as Mike Montgomery, but your assertion that he isn't a good coach seems silly.

Good coaches don't follow the Stanford-LSU-TCU career path. He's been on the hot seat at each of his previous two stops but left on his own. Stanford was 104-22 in Pac 10 play in Montgomery's last seven years, they won less than 24 games once over that period. Johnson went 52-40 his first three years there then bailed after one good year because the Lopez twins were leaving. If you have to go back seven years to find a season that fits your argument that he's a good coach, that's not a good sign.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Scott Drew or Travis Ford (im not kidding, he lost the more than anyone but Drew and Self, had less talent, still in the tourney), Idk why people think WV was as great as they were this year. Self, Fred, Kruger all deserver it over Huggy. I wouldn't put Huggy in the top 5 coaching jobs this season in our league.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
This really boils down to what everyone's opinion of a good coach is. Some favor the do more with less, other think recruiting is part of coaching, so why should a coach be punished for that.

All I know is, Bill Self just won his 11th straight league title, in the toughest league in the country, with probably one of, if not the least talented teams he had. He did something no one else did in the league, and that was he didn't have a bad loss. And on two occasions I saw them come back from more than 15 points down to win, neither time did the other team really buckle, but self coached his guys up.

I love Hoiberg and I wouldn't trade him, but in my mind Bill Self is still the best coach in the B12, and I have no problem with him winning coach of the year. When Hoiberg figures out how to not have let downs like TT and give away games like KSU, yes that was the coaches fault that inbounds play was absolutely atrocious, then he can be the best coach in the league. But until then that title stays in Lawrence.

In all the years of the B12 this is probably the first year, you can say the league was so tough whoever comes out on top, was the best coach. Other years I think you could argue, Drew or Huggins, but way to many chances to get blown up along the way, the team that navigated that best during the year, deserves COY. Just my opinion.

TurbulentEddie

Nov 16, 2012
Madison, WI

Recruiting is part of coaching. So is not blowing it with the talent you have (Barnes).

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Didn't watch the end of the game in West Virginia, eh?

Fred would have flipped out at the end of that one. A no-touch foul to give them two shots for the win? Come on, who wouldn't be animated?

cyeah

May 23, 2006
Houston, TX
Just read that the AP picked Self, and that's almost as ridiculous as Huggins.

No disrespect to Fred, but I'd give it to TCU's Trent Johnson. Despite the overall record, they pulled off some major coups this year.

Besides, I really like that guy's style. No screaming, no drama, no antics. Just class.

Anybody with me?

Trent Johnson was about to be fired by LSU when TCU bailed him out. He is NOT a good coach let alone COY material.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Bruce Webber he did beat the top of the conference at home this year.

I think it really should have went to Scott Drew.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I'd go with Huggins.

And I think Trent Johnson did a good job making strides at TCU, but definitely not Big 12 coach of the year material. If he can somehow sneak them into the tournament next season then he'll be in that conversation.

cyclimate

Jul 18, 2014
Leave LSU? Who would want to be a basketball coach in the southeast conference? You play 2nd fiddle to football at your school to get the opportunity to get beat up on by Kentucky. Yep. That is my ideal situation.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
Fred lost coach of the year at Tech.

Self deserved it.

Johnson shouldn't be mentioned in this thread.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Recruiting is part of coaching. So is not blowing it with the talent you have (Barnes).

Bingo. It's not like Bill Self can just sit back in his chair and watch people line up for scholarships; he's still got to bust his *** recruiting them against plenty of other good programs. The "if ______ was given the talent that they have at ______, he'd be as good as or better than ______" argument is one of my least favorite ever.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Trent Johnson being named Coach of the Year in the WAC, Pac-10, and SEC must have been a fluke if he's as bad as some of you say he is.

That being said, he's not deserving of COY at TCU this year.