Who leads the team in scoring this year?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Who leads the Cyclones in scoring this year?

• Gabe Kalscheur

Votes: 81 23.8%
  • Jaren Holmes

Votes: 181 53.1%
  • Caleb Grill

Votes: 8 2.3%
  • Eli King

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • Tre King

Votes: 22 6.5%
  • Aljaz Kunc

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Osun Osunniyi

Votes: 23 6.7%
  • Hason Ward

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Tamin Lipsey

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Robert Jones

Votes: 7 2.1%

• Total voters

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
for me it's between the top 3 (Gabe, Holmes and Shoon) and I think there's a good case for all of them

Holmes is going to have the ball in his hands a ton and has scored ~14ppg the last two seasons (more than Brockington before last season). He's also going to play a TON of minutes (averaged 38 min/game last year). Holmes taking a "leap" as a combo guard playing at a close to all-conference level is the best case for this team and absolutely necessary for them to make the tourney.

Gabe the choice if they run a similar offense to last year and Holmes doesn't "hit". He's the most likely to play the "Brockington" role from last year, but it would take a huge leap in consistency for him to do it well. If Gabe leads the team in scoring, it's probably a worst case scenario

I think Shoon has a real chance to lead the team too. His pts / 40 minutes was almost 15 last year, about the same as Holmes and higher than any of Gabe's 4 years. He's a very good passer and could really thrive if they build the offense around him. My biggest concern is that he'll often be playing with Ward or Jones, so there will be two players who can't score outside the lane on the court at the same time, which will cause congestion in the lane. Should finish lots of lobs though.

IowaState88

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2022
IMO it's Gabe K.

Looking back at last year Gabe can be a quality scorer at times (double figures in 12 games last year). Consistency was clearly his issue.

On last year's squad, Gabe was usually the 3rd option on O given that IZB was great and played basically the same postion/style as Gabe and Tyrese H drove a decent amount to create offense.

Jaren will certainly have the ball in his hands a lot but I think Gabe can average close to 13-15 a game and Jaren around 10-12. Tamin won't look to score all that much so I feel like there is production to be had at the guard spot and Gabe should be that guy. GK is a guy who averaged 10 and 11 pts in the B1G as a frosh and soph. Just needs the confidence and consistency and he can have a solid year for us.

IowaState88

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2022
Watson hasn't been getting any love this offseason from any of the publications covering the program either. Even in CF pods and CF Premium threads, all CW talks about are the other two FR. Not sure if it's just bias given that they are the higher rated two, or what gives...

Anywho, I went with Tre King, since the OP didn't specify total points vs ppg average. I think Tre will come in after the semester and give our offense a much needed boost. The guys who can play in the first month and a half will be able to hold it down well enough until then, but I think King will be our best 3 pt shooter and will have a lot of 2nd chance opportunities. I am setting the bar for him to be maybe a junior year Melvin Ejim type of impact on this years team.
Watson is actually the highest rated recruit of the three via 247 sports.

I've heard he has the highest ceiling of all three and is a potential NBA guy. He likely isn't getting the buzz the other two are bc of the team make up. There is a group of guys (Holmes, Gabe, Kunc, TKing, Grill) that can play the 2/3/4 postion which is what he plays. Watson is still raw and probably won't see a ton of time ahead of those listed above just given experience and trust. Tamin and E. King both can play the 1, which is a clear area of need now that Williams is out for the season. That's why I feel like we're hearing more about them at this moment.

Unless TJ plans on playing 10 or 11 guys a game there's gotta be a few guys that don't see a ton of minutes and Watson is likely one of those guys this upcoming year.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I agree wholeheartedly. That team was bad offense/bad defense. I am confident that this team's defense will be good enough to win 10 games on its own.

It's just hard to contemplate how badly a team has to play to win only 2 games. I doubt we'll see that again in the next 20-30 years.

Like you said, the defense will get us past 10 on its own.

Irish1

Feb 5, 2016
I love me some Bobby Jones. Guy just does work. Nothing flashy but he can get it done. Taking out the trash.
Agree! I love him, hope he has a big year!!! He could care less about being leading scorer, he is there to contribute however he is needed. He's my favorite player!

Bubba Hubba

Dec 19, 2007
Why no Watson listed?

I picked Gabe. I’m hoping he’s going to be putting up mostly mid-range shots this year like he did in the tourney last year. He was very effective at that.
This ^^^^. Mid-range Gabe can be a huge asset to the team.

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
Couldn't find another thread to ask this question so asking it here. Does anyone know if the Cyclone Club pre-dinner is open this Monday in Schemann

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It's just hard to contemplate how badly a team has to play to win only 2 games. I doubt we'll see that again in the next 20-30 years.

Like you said, the defense will get us past 10 on its own.

The schedule next season will consist of --

18 Big 12 games
3 OOC home/away games against fellow P6 (St. John's, Iowa, and Mizzou)
3 neutral-site games for the PK85 (Villanova and two unknown)
7 cupcakes
+ at least one game in KC

The COVID year/two-win team had --

18 Big 12 games
2 OOC home/away game against fellow P6 (at Iowa and at Mississippi State)
3 cupcakes (one of which they lost, to South Dakota State
1 game in Kansas City (lost to Oklahoma)

The missing OOC game was DePaul, if I remember, who canceled a game in Hilton due to COVID. DePaul wasn't good that year (#117 on Torvik when ISU was #168) so maybe Iowa State would have had a shot at them. But the real difference was missing those four cupcakes that you normally have.

So how does a team win two games?

Be really bad at basketball. But also have most of its non-con schedule nuked.

Under a normal schedule, that team probably wins six games.

That is terrible but the two-game figure is still misleading. Two games makes it sound like that team was losing to the Mississippi Valley State types of the world. They were not. They beat those teams. They lost to P6 teams and a decently respectable South Dakota State that finished #94 on Torvik.

stormchaser

May 15, 2008
I chose Jaren because I think with the point guard situation he will see the most minutes. Can't wait to find out!

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Gabe and Jaren will get the lion’s share of the offense. Eligibility question. Is Tre King eligible to play past this partial season?