Who is Hayworth Hicks?

cowboycurtis

Jul 20, 2006
He is listed on the roster on cyclones.com and in the Student directory. Some guys on cylonereport.com seemed exicited about him but this was the first i have heard of him. Anybody have some info on him?

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Looks to be a candidate to redshirt and get a year in with the training program. Could add some depth for the future.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
He is a Juco with 4 years to play 3. Got recruited by some really good schools out of high school and was a GREAT GREAT get by our staff

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
He is a Juco with 4 years to play 3. Got recruited by some really good schools out of high school and was a GREAT GREAT get by our staff

Is on on athletic scholarship? That is, is he an addition to the 2008 scholarship recruiting class? Thanks.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
He was the hush hush recruit, but not anymore since he has started taking classes. I guess he was heavily recruited out of high school, but had to go the Juco route.

A big big body.

H

HGPuck

Partially from bits I have read about him and partially my own guesses...he was forced to go to a juco out of hs but then was able to get everything in order in a year so his recruitment took a lot of places by surprise, so a combination of a little good fortune and a good job by the staff. I have read he had a good season in juco and is someone that is exciting to add with a big upside (no pun intended).

kgreeny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I was at a golf out that GC talked at. GC said most schools were thinking he was two years at the JC.We had a good relationship with the JC coach and grabed him out early. Very good get.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
I was at a golf out that GC talked at. GC said most schools were thinking he was two years at the JC.We had a good relationship with the JC coach and grabed him out early. Very good get.

During the signing day press conference in February 2007 -- Gene's first class -- I recall that Gene said the same thing about Alex Alvarez . . . most everyone else thought he was going to be a two-year JUCO guy. We got him after one (and redshirted him last fall).

Heartening to see that our guys are on top of it, that they seem to go an extra mile to do the job.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
"potential to add more bulk"? From his measurements and picture, his bulk looks plentiful as it is.

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
"potential to add more bulk"? From his measurements and picture, his bulk looks plentiful as it is.

They aren't so much going to had bulk as trying most of that fat into muscle. at the least he drops some "fat weight" and adds muscle weight.:skeptical:

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Hicks, Hayworth
OL
6-3, 323
So.
Palmdale, CA (Antelope Valley) (Palmdale)

This is his roster information at cyclones.com. Had it in my mind that Hayworth was from Florida and attended JC in California, but. . . .

This reads that he went to college at Antelope Valley and attended Palmdale High School, correct?

Gee, a real, live Californian.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Fascinating, I had my eye on this guy from the summer roster. I really enjoy this trend of Chizik's of grabbing JC players with three years of eligibility remaining. In Hicks' case, he even has a redshirt left, so I'm guessing he spends this year working on strength and conditioning.

By the way--if it says he ran a 5.78, since the other numbers are from a combine, I'm guessing that's what he ran. That day. Not that he'll run that after a year of conditioning...just ask Lee Tibbs, or even Tuba.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
if he has good footwork and can run block and pass block,a 5.78 40 is meaningless.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
if he has good footwork and can run block and pass block,a 5.78 40 is meaningless.

Not entirely-how many guys drafted by NFL teams run a 5.78? . Footspeed is not only partially a measure of explosion, but of pulling ability (anyone remember the Pro Bowl guard for the Vikings who ran a 4.58? Randall McDaniel?) as well--and this staff would really like to have some guys pulling ahead of the likes of Bo Williams.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron