Who is better? Gable or Sanderson

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I hear ya. I just choose to ignore those people. We got stuck sitting next to an entire section of them 2 years ago. Wow, talk about arrogant and annoying.

Two years ago they had the students sitting in the balcony, if you want to talk about annoying. Actually, now that I think about it, I think there were a lot of Hawk fans up there as well. That was bothersome as well.

MatCop

Dec 6, 2007
It's take 4 years of luck as well as skill...they were two of the Greatest Athletes of any Sport.

hansen55

Apr 12, 2006
Avoca, IA
Gable is ugly as sin, and he jilted us. He's dead to me.

I can't argue with the ugly portion of your comment, but Gable wanted a position with the ISU wrestling team. ISU only offered him a position buying meat for the training table. ISU couldn't just drop Dr. Harold Nichols like a bad habit because he had coached at ISU since the 1950's with great success. My dad attended ISU from 1969-1973, and he told me that Gable along with other ISU wrestlers basically did whatever they wanted due to their success. He also said that Gable had a reputation off the mat at the time that you wouldn't have wanted associated with the program or university.

Iowa gave Gable an assistant coaching position, and U of I won their first ever national team title 3 years later in 1975. Gable was promoted to head coach a year later winning 16 NCAA national team titles in 21 years. Zalesky won the 3 NCAA national team titles with Gable's wrestlers the 3 years immediately following his retirement.

ISU learned a lesson the hard way, they should have hired Gable as an assistant in 1972, but I'm glad they didn't repeat the same mistake with Cael. I hated to see Bobby Douglas step down, but they needed to take any steps necessary to keep Sanderson. ISU Gabled themselves out of numerous NCAA national team titles.

In short, ISU jilted Gable, and I don't hold anything against Gable for taking the opportunity offered by Iowa. I just wish ISU would have stuck their neck out a little and offered an assistant coaching position to Gable.

cy1225

Oct 6, 2007
Different eras, different weight classes. There were twice as many college wrestling teams when Gable wrestled.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Sanderson easily because he finished the job. Also, Cael has more class in the fungus underneath his big toenail then Gable. Sure, Gable was a Cyclone, but he has obviously been around the Dbag honebees because of him giving Sanderson the royal F-You salute at the meet in Sewer City last year(I seen it on TV) so he has obvious no class and Sanderson remains calm and humble and is a great representative of the Cyclone community...

troyrew

Apr 19, 2006
Las Vegas
Gable was a better freestyle wrestler dont forget sanderson almost lost to fullhart he did once but won 2 out of 3 great matches.

He also gave points up in the olympics

Benny34

Nov 29, 2007
Athletes today are alot bigger faster and stronger than they were back then...plus Cael has something called class.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Sanderson easily because he finished the job. Also, Cael has more class in the fungus underneath his big toenail then Gable. Sure, Gable was a Cyclone, but he has obviously been around the Dbag honebees because of him giving Sanderson the royal F-You salute at the meet in Sewer City last year(I seen it on TV) so he has obvious no class and Sanderson remains calm and humble and is a great representative of the Cyclone community...
For the record, I know lots of old guys who point with their middle finger. Never understood why--but that's what it looked like to me . . .

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia

Sewer City? that's a new one, does that mean we live in the state Sewer? I have heard Sioux City called that but never Iowa City, probably because it makes no sense. Second, you SAW it on TV.

NIowaClone

Sep 1, 2006
Dallas, Texas
I don't know how good Gable was as a wrestler compared to Sanderson from era to era, but with what Cael has done for Iowa State and giving back puts him above Gable easily. Go Cael and keep the Cyclone wrestling tradition alive and well.

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
I don't know how good Gable was as a wrestler compared to Sanderson from era to era, but with what Cael has done for Iowa State and giving back puts him above Gable easily. Go Cael and keep the Cyclone wrestling tradition alive and well.

I suppose that makes him the best wrestler for Iowa State, which I would agree. Overall, though you have to look at what Gable did for Iowa, which is far more than Sanderson has done yet. Key would being YET.

tobyaclone

Mar 6, 2007
Denison
Athletes today are alot bigger faster and stronger than they were back then...plus Cael has something called class.

Agree. Yesterday I witnessed Gable's classlessness. He thinks everyone should know him. He doesn't have to give his name to the official letting people into the media area. And when this young man excuses himself for not recognizing him, Gable feeds him ****, then jests with him again when he leaves, rubbing it in that he's a Hawk and they kicked our *** and making snide comments about how the young man didn't know who he was.

He has no class, no manners. A complete jerk. That completely negates what he ever did on the mat.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
Agree. Yesterday I witnessed Gable's classlessness. He thinks everyone should know him. He doesn't have to give his name to the official letting people into the media area. And when this young man excuses himself for not recognizing him, Gable feeds him ****, then jests with him again when he leaves, rubbing it in that he's a Hawk and they kicked our *** and making snide comments about how the young man didn't know who he was.

He has no class, no manners. A complete jerk. That completely negates what he ever did on the mat.

I think of lot of wrestlers and wrestling coaches are like that. I've met Gable and he seems like a nice enough guy--for a wrestler. Anytime I meet a wrestler I'm afraid they're going to eat me. :wideeyed:

His mind is always on the sport and nothing else. That's usually the case for the best coaches in any sport. And another thing about wrestlers is they don't give a **** what anybody else thinks about them. So if he was acting like a jerk, I'm sure he didn't feel like it was his problem.

Last edited:

mojo

Apr 13, 2006
Manchester, NH
I'm just curious how this question can even be asked really, Aside from the fact that Cael is not only better on paper, Gable is a turncoat by coaching at Iowa.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron