Who influenced your taste in music?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I don’t listen to them on my own but my dad’s the reason I can sing along to every one of the Eagles and James Taylor’s greatest hits. I don’t even know song titles all that well. I can just sing along to the lyrics almost on a subconscious level.

Hard to say what else really influences my taste in music. My wife and I have very similar tastes but when it comes to our favorite bands together, almost all of them are artists that we ended up introducing to the other to.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Sister played flute to Jethro Tull and had beatles records. Took me to first Grateful Dead show at age 8. Friend introduced me to Queen Cars Clash Sex Pistols Devo CSNY Traffic ELP. Found Stones Who on own. Another friend introduced me to James Taylor and Jimmy Cliff

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The CR area had 'oldies' stations throughout my childhood so it seemed like that was always on. So at least in a nostalgia sense I'll always have a spot for a lot of that sound.

Otherwise throughout time it's been friends.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I kind of found Springsteen on my own (meaning apart from my family or friends)...but the rest...my parents would listen to 60s and 70s albums all the time while I was growing up and I still love that music. My brother (4 years older) also introduced me to a lot of good 70s and 80s music! I can honestly say I LOVE doing YouTube dives into different genres from different eras. Whether it be John Lee Hooker or the Bee Gees. Right now I seem to be in the middle of a INXS fascination. Had something like YouTube existed when I was a kid I might have never left my bedroom due to finding and listening to all kinds of different music.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I grew up in Detroit 3rd grade through 9th. I listened to top 40 mostly, but in 8th grade was turned onto a progressive/album rock station (WRIF). I became a fan of good rock that lasted all my life.

I listen to KFMG.ORG, IPR Studio One, and The Culture (Minneapolis IPR) all of the time now.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Iowa State influenced my taste in music the most. In HS I was basically a top 40 listener... but some guys on my dorm floor introduced me to all kinds of awesome 'alternative' music... and I was hooked and have never looked back.

We spent so many Friday and Saturday nights at the Lost and Found above Cy's Roost just drinking and listening to great music!

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Almost everyone from ABBA to Zappa and Zevon.

But travel shaped my tastes even more. Such a revelation when you live in or travel to another country (although these days, hard to get away from some of the sub-par junk in English out there, unfortunately).

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Television.

The glory days of late 90s/early 00s MTV may have had a slight impact on me still to this day since I’m dropping $250 on a ticket to see Blink 182 in Chicago next month.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
The CR area had 'oldies' stations throughout my childhood so it seemed like that was always on. So at least in a nostalgia sense I'll always have a spot for a lot of that sound.

Otherwise throughout time it's been friends.
We've got a local-ish drive in movie theater (a little over an hour away) and before the movies they play oldies for like 4 hours before the movies start. It's the best thing ever. They also have an arcade and a go kart track, in addition to a big snack bar. In the summer we grt there about 6, eat dinner, play arcade games, drive go carts, enjoy the sun and tunes, first movie starts around 9pm (always a double feature). Admission is cheap and includes both movies. Sometimes they do a triple feature and sell pancakes and sausages afterwards - on those days we don't get home until about 4am and the eastern sky is getting light.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
There wasn't much hip/noteworthy influence in rural Iowa during the early '70's (never has been IMHO). I could pick up national top 40 stuff on AM and then my neighbor friend with older siblings introduced me the King Biscuit Flower Hour and Beaker Street on KAAY in Little Rock. From there it went to Beatles/Stones/Who debates in my cousin's basement and I was underway.

Reactions: MeanDean

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Parents. Their vinyl collection had everything. Mamas and the Papas. Led Zeppelin. Elton John. Jim Croce. Rolling Stones. Beatles. BeeGees. Abba. Carol King. Carly Simon. Iron Butterfly.

• Informative
Reactions: CloneFanInKC

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
It was mostly my parents to start out. Dad always had 1460 KSO on in the machine shop when he was out there working on stuff. So I heard a LOT of what was contemporary back then, starting in the late 70s. Mom listened to a lot of 60s rock and R&B from when she was in school, but also had on various pop and lite rock radio stations when not listening to records (or 8-tracks!). Once I discovered the countdown shows on Sunday mornings (Casey Kasem's American Top 40 and Bob Kingsley's American Country Countdown), I really started to pay attention to more kinds of music. It was all pretty mainstream, so whatever was making the top 40 on the Billboard Hot 100 is what I was exposed to. But that led to more exploration on my own, discovering new (to me, anyway) sounds that I didn't hear on central Iowa radio. Then, moving to California in 1985 opened my ears to a lot of stuff I wasn't familiar with. Freestyle was just catching on out west and I loved the sound. KMEL in San Francisco played that style of music almost exclusively for a time. Also started listening to some metal, a little prog rock, and went back and discovered a lot more new wave that I had missed when it was current. Getting a job in a music store in 1989 was really great since we had a little of everything and so many employees liked different stuff. We could play anything in the store (as long as it didn't have a bunch of swearing and generally didn't chase customers away - we'd reserve that for "Operation Clear The Store" at 10:00 pm), so I again heard a lot of stuff I wouldn't have heard otherwise. But my first love will always be country because that's what my dad played on the shop stereo when I was in elementary school.

Reactions: cyclones500

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
My father introduced me to classical when I was younger, but I attribute much of my wild variety in music to the few years that Blockbuster music was open in CR. In college when I was bored I would go over there and test drive a dozen or so different CDs. In addition to listening stations around the store where you could listen to a selected album, you could also take any CD up to the counter and they would give you headphones and play it. I exposed myself to a ton of stuff that I wouldn't otherwise have known. I loved that place.