Who ever the is person in charge of working with the offense should be fired on the spot

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
They are out there… ‘cough cough’ the kids like Jor Bo. I just want someone to be able to hit a shot consistently. If the defense isn’t great then hey, the other 4 can make up for it . It’s beats today.

They are out there, the story was that we couldn't afford a good shooter in the last 2 years. Considering all that we DID need, that makes sense.

We need far less next year, so I would hope we could put together a reasonable offer for a good transfer shooter. In addition, We Will is up and running this year when it really wasn't the last 2 years.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
it has been a good two years, don't get me wrong....but if we want to take the next step, there are some upgrades that need to happen skill wise, but also just philosophically there will have to be some adjustments, we can't win games 2-0, and i think TJ gets into that mindset without realizing it sometimes. There was no plan offensively today, nothing.

I get this was a really bad situation, and it takes time to get guys here, TJ did what he had to do, but that time is over now, it's time to play big boy basketball now....but there were A LOT of times we just have no plan offensively, and no answers. Doesn't matter how bad you are, you can't have multiple performances like this.

You have to get to the line better, you can't foul like we do, you can't play 3 guys that can't score. You need some sets to run, back cuts, adjusting to pressure, press break, attacking off turnovers. Stuff like that. We don't do any of that well.
Sets and back cuts. I don't remember the last Iowa State team that did that. It's the ONLY thing I appreciate about Fran McCaffrey.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
We need better players. 2-21 from 3 is not a coaching problem.

And as long as we are shooting like that, we become a really easy team to defend inside the line too. Just gamble on the fact we arent going to make those 3s and adjust if we figure out how to shoot

• Winner
Reactions: legi and isufbcurt

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
I think this thread severely misses the target.

We are limited athletically and that in turn limits our ability to win games by simply overpowering the opponent. Today we needed a A) main game plan B) a pivot plan in case our main plan was ineffective. Plan B should also be somewhat modifiable (as should A) based on what was actually transpiring in the game.

From the get-go our Plan A was wildly ineffective (whatever the **** it was) and that was magnified by: Kunc continuing a 2 week trend of being atrocious and nobody shooting the ball particularly well (though this was largely influenced by horrendous shot selection). Potentially the game was salvageable provided we pivoted and actually utilized what was happening in the game to dictate our strategy and rotations.

For reasons nobody can surmise we didn't pivot or stick with what was working during the run. Otz went to Ward with Jones and Osun finding early foul trouble and he was wildly effective. He came in and immediately altered shots, shored up our rotations, and our offensive fed off that energy. Lipsey started to penetrate as did Holmes, and when thwarted the kicked out, someone else often attacked the basket, and the process continued until we got easy/open looks. The team was on a roll and looked like it was getting back in the game until....

Otz took out Ward. Inexplicably, when the team was rolling. Time and time again Otz has displayed a complete lack of feel for the game and what is transpiring on the floor. Bob came in and missed an easy outback (was fouled), missed both free throws, and fumbled some loos balls. It killed a lot of momentum and we went into the half down 7, a miracle considering the start, but it felt like we left at least 4 points on the table. Pitt stemmed the tide and was able to use half time as it's saving grace.

You'd think Otz and his staff would have identified that we needed to stay away from threes (in general) and that we needed to attack the basket. One would also hope he would have been able to recognize the significance of Ward, the benefits of a long, athletic rotation in general, and that Kunc and Osun needed to sit on the bench as much as possible considering they were liabilities on both ends. So what happens coming out of the half? Ward rides pine for 8 minutes to start, we largely revert to bad habits, take a plethora of horrendous shots, and tried pounding the paint to initiate our offense. Literally EVERY ******* time we passed the ball inside, at least as the initiator of our offense, it killed the possession. Osun labored in his moves and forced shots. Bob was slow and was easily trapped. It was a disaster. So WHY did we do it. WHY did we keep putting Osun and Kunc in the game.

Basically every decision or lack thereof by Otz defied logic and a fundamental, game-based tangent for it's occurrence. It literally felt like he wasn't at the game or mentally engaged at all. The result was a ship without a rudder and when it desperately needed one. He didn't have an offensive game plan, a back up plan, didn't adjust substitutions and rotations based on the game/what was effective, and didn't utilize TOs. WTF good did it do to save 2 timeouts for the last 5 minutes, staring down the barrel of a 20 point deficit?

Maybe Otz mistakenly thought he could turn his unused TOs into Jamie for a salary bonus. I have no idea WTF he was doing and...to be honest...I don't think he did either.
TLDR

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
We need better players. 2-21 from 3 is not a coaching problem.

That doesn't tell the entire story.

At least half of those 3 were bad shots. Gabe had some decent looks and that's a guy you want to shoot those. Holmes took some bad shots. Some were rushed, a few were flat footed, and I think it made it harder to hit some of the decent ones he took. Because he took some bad shots he never had a shoot rhythm established.

Coaches aren't going to shoot for you, but they can't help devise and instruct a cogent team strategy to try to maximize the players you have and make adjustments in a particular game. I thought Otz did a terrible job of either instructing players to pass the ball inside or instructing them to do so as we did it WAY too many times. Often our post-ups weren't close enough to the basket to be effective and those possession died when Bob, Osun, and sometimes Trey tried to force shots. Not only did Ward deserve to play more, I thought he would have been more effective at moving around, keeping the lane clear, and getting some easier buckets. For a team that's at it's best driving the ball, having unathletic (Bob) and unmotivated (Osun) players clogging the lane felt like a puzzling strategy/roster move. The resulting stagnation magnified the difficulty of finding open shots.

We DO need better players. We need more athleticism, length and skill on the perimeter. But man, or coaches also need to be able to exert some reasonable influence in games. Our lack of strategy and tactical awareness was just as glaring as our lack of talent. In tandem it was lethal.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
My hope at the beginning of the season was to just make the tournament and we did so I’ve accepted the loss mentally. I’ve been really excited for next year before this season started and this season was kind of a filler for me with the next two recruiting classes we have coming in. Hopefully they bring some offense with that tenacious defense. Thank you to the team for the good season. I thought or hoped we had the talent to make the tournament and keep the streak going at the beginning of the season but this team really changed my expectations quickly only to crush them in the last 11 games. Not sure what changed but something definitely noticeably did. Maybe people caught on better after playing us one time and Pitt obviously did their job at figuring it out. Lipsey is a standout freshman and hopefully learns to at least have the confidence to shoot next season. Being able to slack off the pg really allowed them to take away drives to the lane and not allow passes to the post, also made it easy to guard on screeners. If he gets a shot in the off season he might be the top point guard in the conference. Really excited for Tre king next year. I love rob jones energy but hopefully learns to pass a little more in the offseason. Exciting to see if Watson can add a shot to his athleticism and defense. Hopefully Eli king can get a better chance next season would be very valuable to have his offense and athleticism. Williams will add a lot of experience and defense. We’re going to need the same energy with Ward next year and shot blocking capabilities and hopefully he develops a offensive game. Then you add the the recruiting class which looks like it will bring the offense we missed this year. I’m excited for next season. Thank you to the seniors for entertaining us and ticking us off at the same time. You’ve got the ball rolling again for Iowa state basketball and set the tone. I’ll take a season like this over Prohms under achieving talented teams or Prohms 2-20 whatever teams any season.

Reactions: NWICY

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
It was an embarrassment to Iowa State and the former players, alumni and fans. How sad our basketball rep has become. This is sh**ball and looks it! Clear the bench and start anew! Orr is crying tears right now!
Orr is crying? I like Orr but he only went to 1 sweet 16. His teams were good at home but terrible on the road. His record at ISU was barely over 500

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
I think the team regressed offensively when Kunc returned. Grill had maybe the most quickness and best jump shot. Lipsey was good on D and passing , but way too hesitant in shooting this year. He was 50% from 3 today, everyone else was 5% combined . Eli King was our highest recruit this year - 4 stars and barely played. Holmes seemed a step slow for a 1 or 2 and an inch too short for a 3 , but he was still a very solid contributor. Gabe was an exact fit this year. Great attitude. Tre showed a lot of improvement. OO was not consistent. Rob never seemed to master the fundamentals .

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
How awful is Baylor that our drive and dish down low worked so well but never was evident today. Is that 7'100 pounder that scary?

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
TJ had pretty good offensive efficiency #s at SDST. Not sure about UNLV. My point is he is running this defense because, for the 1st 2 years here at least, he's had no choice. Next year he'll have better options offensively.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
It really looks like ISU just doesn't practice anything related to offense. The strategy is highly questionable to begin with, and the execution of the strategy is even worse. Lipsey turning down open mid-range shots is insane; he's not that bad of shooter. I posted this before...ISU players seem really lost on how to finish out close to the hoop. This problem was evident last year, and the staff really did nothing to improve it.

The offense was really bad today, but apart from a couple of games, the offense has been mediocre or worse since the MU game. The defense has been good enough...holding a team under 60 points should result in a win. ISU got a 6 seed based on what happened in the pre-conference schedule and the first few games of the conference.

The team was totally unprepared to play today. There is no excuse for that.

This. TJ has worked wonders with this program in two years but he shouldn’t be immune to the offensive woes this team has.

FDU, FAU, Kennesaw State, UC Santa Barbara, Iona, Grand Canyon, and Montana State put up substantially better offensive numbers and scored more than Iowa State. And they did it against better defensive teams. This really dumb narrative of “we have no offensive talent” is a crutch ISU fans and media use. We had enough talent to be in the top 15 in the country but now we can’t score 40 points against the #180 defense in the country?? Come on…

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
My point is that they laid the same egg vs. UConn, @ Iowa and @ Mizzou without any UP in the OOC. The 3 major OOC teams they did beat (St. John's Villanova and UNC) didn't make the Tournament.

Doesn't really matter. I love Iowa State, and I'm happy with TJ as coach. I went to two games this year (St. John's and Kansas), and they were fantastic in those games. So happy I was not in Greensboro today. That would have sucked balls!

Let's Go State!
Yeah being there you have to watch past the first 10 minutes, unlike what you did today.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Yeah being there you have to watch past the first 10 minutes, unlike what you did today.
*Edit* Deleted the bitchy comment.

What I should have said is that I started watching the game, but after the bad start I decided to concentrate on work instead. Bummer of a game.

Last edited:
  • Dumb
Reactions: isufbcurt and I@ST1

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron