Which one of you is this flagger?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I am not sure if they are State Employees, I wouldn't think so, most likely privately hired. I have been a flagger in my college days, great pay for a very simple job.

Besides, if they got lottery tickets that hadn't been scratched the gift is the purchase price. If they had already been scratched the gift is the value of the prize.

CYvilEng

Aug 20, 2012
Des Moines
Besides, if they got lottery tickets that hadn't been scratched the gift is the purchase price. If they had already been scratched the gift is the value of the prize.

This seems like a fun easy way to bribe a public employee. "Here's your 3 lottery tickets for the day." After almost 1100 tickets in a year you'd have to win something.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This seems like a fun easy way to bribe a public employee. "Here's your 3 lottery tickets for the day." After almost 1100 tickets in a year you'd have to win something.

I'm pretty sure that receiving 3 lottery tickets every day (or any other $3 gift) from any one entity for even a week - say nothing about a year - would be a huge violation. There were attorneys that got into trouble up here because they got a golf ball from a court reporter company each time they used their services. While the value of the golf ball is neglible, the aggregate added up to a violation.

CYvilEng

Aug 20, 2012
Des Moines
I'm pretty sure that receiving 3 lottery tickets every day (or any other $3 gift) from any one entity for even a week - say nothing about a year - would be a huge violation. There were attorneys that got into trouble up here because they got a golf ball from a court reporter company each time they used their services. While the value of the golf ball is neglible, the aggregate added up to a violation.

I could be wrong but the iowa code definitely says... Nonmonitary items can not exceed three dollars from any one donor during one calendar day. Is the lottery ticket a nonmonitary item?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I could be wrong but the iowa code definitely says... Nonmonitary items can not exceed three dollars from any one donor during one calendar day. Is the lottery ticket a nonmonitary item?

Fair enough. It is a little stricter in Minnesota and Minneapolis. In addition we are supposed to avoid "the appearance of impropriety."

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You don't know how the lottery works, do you?

:jimlad:

When the subject of the lottery came up my buddy always offered to show people how the lottery worked:

Bob: You want to see how the lottery works?
Stooge: Sure.
Bob: You got a dollar?
Stooge: Here.
<Bob puts dollar in his pocket and starts to walk away>
Bob: That's how the lottery works.