Which Football Staff Would You Keep/Who do you like?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I'm going to try something new here at the mercy of get flamed. Here goes.

Honestly, I like the coaching staff in general. They are great guys who really want the best for the team and school, whether they can do it or not. I would say Skladany is my favorite. I think he has created some awesome defense and has shown me that he will continue to do so. He recognizes weaknesses and fixes them accordingly. This year has been kind of slow do to the young set of players but they are building momentum and I believe he will have them tough as nails in the time to come. I think he is McCarneys best asset. I like Dan as well. People may bash on him about alot of stuff, but I think his heart is in the right place. Maybe he can deliver in a couple of more years maybe not, but I have no hard feelings against the guy. If they were to rid the team of the coaching staff I would hope they at least keep Skladany. Anyone else have any thoughts? Lets try to keep this thread light. I dont really want to see any huge bashes or negativity. if you must criticize, please be intelligent about it and try to find some positive points about our staff as well.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Im talking in general and for the past years. Not going off of what has happened recently statistically if that makes sense.

JokersWild

Mar 29, 2006
Shoot, I think lots of people would be pretty happy if ISU just brought in some new O coordinator.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
New O-line coach and O-Coordinator. Basically, I'm tired of Barney Ball. I think Cotton has really ruined our potential with this group. I still support Mac. Mac is loyal to his staff to a fault. He had trouble getting rid of Marty Fine and now I'm afraid he'll keep Cotton on board too. Cotton hasn't done anything for this program. He is responsible for the play calling and for the O-line and those are both weak points on this team. I like our defense (not how well they are playing but I see the potential in these young guys). I think our QB coach does a good job. So, at this point in the season, I say keep everyone except Cotton. And as always, I don't endorse any changes until the season is over as mid-season changes only cause more problems.

JokersWild

Mar 29, 2006
Yeah, in all actuallity, I could see Pollard just have Dan shake up the staff at the end of the season. I don't really see Mac going anywhere. Just hire some up and coming assistants or whatever.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Or we can add an offensive coordinator who calls better plays and let Barney just be the o line fellow. It looks like we are in a funk on our playcalling thisd year. Most of it does not make much sense taken as a whole. It seems like we have an eighty play book and Nebraska has a 150 play book. What happened to the shovel pass for us? What happened to those deep passes to the tight end over the middle. We are only limiting ourselves IMO.

In the end, a bigger problem may just be plain recruiting better o line and d lijne players. Perhaps the juco route is best for us. Two years and out may be acceptable because we need to get players in who can contribute and we do not have time to build them up slowly.

JokersWild

Mar 29, 2006
Yeah, I really thought that an OLine full of seniors was going to be great. But, they haven't shown to much. I guess some young coaches chomping at the bit to get an o-coord position would be good interviews. Then do some retooling on the oline for next year.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
-18 rep points? Seriously? This wasnt meant to be a debate. I just wanted to know some positives you see about the current staff and who might be your faves. Good grief. Some of you are too sensitive.

brutodd

Apr 11, 2006
KS -> Albuquerque->KS
It's very interesting how a lot of people are calling for BC's head, me included. What I would like to know is how do Andy Fitch and BC call the plays; I mean isn't BC the "running play" guy and o-line guy while Fitch is the pass play and QB coach? How do these two decide what to do?

JokersWild

Mar 29, 2006
Yeah, that's a good point. I'm not sure how any of that works. To bad we can't have a "readout" so to speak of who called what play at what time during the game.

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee
I think we need a new offensive coordinator. Calling the right plays at the right time is a talent that some people have and some don't. When Loney and Hoener were calling plays, there were times I was saying, "that was a great call!" How many times have you said that since Barney has been calling plays. I can think of many, many times I have said, "That was a horrible play call!" He just doesn't have a knack for calling the right play at the right time.

cyphan

Mar 24, 2006
At this time, I say we just replace our offensive coordinator. Bring back Loney and I'll be one happy Cyclone fan!!!!!!

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Thanks JokersWild! I really didnt care too much. Just curious as to why =)

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
I am going to go out on the limb here and say a better QB coach would be nice. The thing is we have a very talented QB. It has been shown. Now it doesnt help to have an OLine who is having trouble protecting him, but when they do, I see Meyer eyeing down one reciever and nothing else. I think he has issues reading coverages and checking his other target options. Is that his fault, absolutely not, because if he was coached right, he would make the correct play. I dont know how many of us at games call out all these other WR's that are open on the other side of the field where he isnt looking. This is becaues he drops back looks at either one of three places. The left, middle, or right, not all of them. So the defense responds to that and drifts to the respectable side. This is why only our quick hitches work and nothing else. We barely go over the middle because the LB's read it and drop back. We cant go over the top because the safties read it and go over the top. So it comes down to the quick hitch the the CB cant respond quickly enough to.

The hard part comes in with the Offensive coordinator not getting Blythe involved into the game till the last minute. Then it comes to forcing everything as opposed to making the right choices early on.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Here is a coach that coached in the past at ISU: Pop Warner (1895-1899). Not recent history, but that was why we were so good in the nineteenth century. Our team was nicknamed the Slim Jim Twenty.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I am going to go out on the limb here and say a better QB coach would be nice. The thing is we have a very talented QB. It has been shown. Now it doesnt help to have an OLine who is having trouble protecting him, but when they do, I see Meyer eyeing down one reciever and nothing else. I think he has issues reading coverages and checking his other target options. Is that his fault, absolutely not, because if he was coached right, he would make the correct play. I dont know how many of us at games call out all these other WR's that are open on the other side of the field where he isnt looking. This is becaues he drops back looks at either one of three places. The left, middle, or right, not all of them. So the defense responds to that and drifts to the respectable side. This is why only our quick hitches work and nothing else. We barely go over the middle because the LB's read it and drop back. We cant go over the top because the safties read it and go over the top. So it comes down to the quick hitch the the CB cant respond quickly enough to.

The hard part comes in with the Offensive coordinator not getting Blythe involved into the game till the last minute. Then it comes to forcing everything as opposed to making the right choices early on.

My thoughts (observations) Ed Zachary.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
The only one I wouldn't mind being kept is Skladany. I don't know any of the coaches besides the big 3 so I can't speak much beyond them, but Mac needs to go. He is responsible for the overall gameplan and the tough situational calls (like whether to go for points or sit on it near the end of a half). Neither have been good.

Ironically, our D is one of the worst in the nation and that's the coordinator people seem content to keep.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron