Where were you when JFK was assassinated?

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I had just turned 3. I don't remember the day but understand I was in the car with my mom and she nearly drove into the ditch when the news came on the radio

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
My mom was in elementary school in Ottumwa, and she says she remembers her class being told about it and then going and praying in the church (she went to the catholic school through 5th grade).

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
Next month on November 22, will mark the 50th anniversary of JFK's assassination. I realize this will date me, but I thought it might be interesting to see what those who do remember it remember about it, what they were doing, whatever. It is one of those dates that people always remember where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news.

Personally, I was in the 7th grade at the time. Shortly after lunch that day, an announcement came over the loudspeaker system that we were all supposed to leave our classes and report to our home rooms. A little while after we got there, our teacher, Mrs. Johnson came into the room, did not say a word, but started writing on the blackboard JFK's famous quote "Ask not what your country.....". When she finished, she went to her desk and sat down but didn't say anything for a few minutes. It was obvious that she was having difficulty speaking, or deciding what she wanted to say.

Finally, she looked up and told us that the President had been shot in Dallas, and had died. She said school was being dismissed for the day, and as soon as the bus drivers could make it to the school, we all would be sent home. She said the school was contacting as many of our parents as possible, and announcements were going out over radio and tv.

That night of course, all that was on tv was the news of the assassination. It was a pretty scary time.

A couple of days later, my family and I came home from church, and as always, my sister and I were on the floor in front of the tv while my mom made lunch. Not long after we started watching, a special news bulletin came on from Dallas because the police were moving Oswald from one jail to another or something. My dad told my mom to get in the room because that was big news. We all sat there, and of course saw Jack Ruby shoot Oswald live on national tv. I remember my parents being really upset about that because of course it was the 60's and they weren't too keen on their kids seeing a murder live on tv.

My parents were in high school.

DeBruzzio

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Fort Dodge native
5th Grade in Fort Dodge. Still remember going inside with the neighbor kids into their house just in time to see Ruby shoot Oswald.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
According to Karma, I was either a self serving rich person or a self sacrificing poor person about 13 years prior to their death. My parents would have been in high school.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
In the 80s there was a series of bud light commercials where some guy would ask for a light and then be handed a flame thrower or a circus fire eater would appear or something like that. The 1st guy would then say "no, BUD light" and then be handed a beer.

Anyway, the day the Challenger exploded my wrestling coach opened practice by asking "what was the last thing the Challenger astronauts said?...'No, BUD light' ". We all just kind of looked at each other thinking wow, what a sick time for that joke. Especially since the coach was also a teacher.

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
2 years old - Chicago

i do remember Bobby Kennedy getting killed in '68. I was in grade school in NJ

Last edited: