Where were you when JFK was assassinated?

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
For me that would probably be 9\11. Junior year of high school.

Same here. I was in 5th grade and remember it like it was yesterday, granted it was only 12 years ago. Oddly enough, we had just gotten done saying the Pledge of Allegiance when we heard the news.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Same here. I was in 5th grade and remember it like it was yesterday, granted it was only 12 years ago. Oddly enough, we had just gotten done saying the Pledge of Allegiance when we heard the news.

I was in 7th grade. Went in to the Library for Study Hall and they were watchin' it on the TV. I thought they were watching a movie.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Next month on November 22, will mark the 50th anniversary of JFK's assassination. I realize this will date me, but I thought it might be interesting to see what those who do remember it remember about it, what they were doing, whatever. It is one of those dates that people always remember where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news.

Personally, I was in the 7th grade at the time. Shortly after lunch that day, an announcement came over the loudspeaker system that we were all supposed to leave our classes and report to our home rooms. A little while after we got there, our teacher, Mrs. Johnson came into the room, did not say a word, but started writing on the blackboard JFK's famous quote "Ask not what your country.....". When she finished, she went to her desk and sat down but didn't say anything for a few minutes. It was obvious that she was having difficulty speaking, or deciding what she wanted to say.

Finally, she looked up and told us that the President had been shot in Dallas, and had died. She said school was being dismissed for the day, and as soon as the bus drivers could make it to the school, we all would be sent home. She said the school was contacting as many of our parents as possible, and announcements were going out over radio and tv.

That night of course, all that was on tv was the news of the assassination. It was a pretty scary time.

A couple of days later, my family and I came home from church, and as always, my sister and I were on the floor in front of the tv while my mom made lunch. Not long after we started watching, a special news bulletin came on from Dallas because the police were moving Oswald from one jail to another or something. My dad told my mom to get in the room because that was big news. We all sat there, and of course saw Jack Ruby shoot Oswald live on national tv. I remember my parents being really upset about that because of course it was the 60's and they weren't too keen on their kids seeing a murder live on tv.
God damn, you're old.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Parents were 10 and 7 at the time. I know they remember it pretty well as we've talked about it.

I remember 9/11 very clearly and I remember the Columbia disaster very clearly as well mainly because I watched it unfold live on the news (had the news on to see the landing specifically).

Max

Mar 19, 2006
I was probably crapping my pants and annoying my mom. I was a year and a half old.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I remember what I was doing when I heard that Princess Diana died...

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
All I can remember is being on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza watching some guy walk away with a high powered rifle. Should I have told somebody about that?

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
My parents were 12 and 14 for JFK. My grandpa oversaw implementing secure communications systems for major events in Iowa (presidents, foreign leaders, etc) and was always involved in planning travel routes etc. He had just started this role a year before JFK. As you can imagine all planning and communication changed after that.

Was as a senior in college for 9/11. No classes that day but still had football practice. That was a wasted of a practice.

My my mom was an elementary teacher and I will never forget the screams from everyone when Challenger exploded. We watched it live. Having Christa McCauliff on board made it close to home for lots of teachers.

And oddly enough I will never forget the Register article about Cy being stolen in the early 80s. I thought he had died. My Mom still says that was the saddest she had ever seen me.