Where does Royce rank?

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Royce holds a special place in my heart when it comes to great Cyclones. The anxiety thing, his attitude, his shear talent, making good on a second chance, his overall outlook on things. Really a wonderful player and human an being as far as I can tell.

He was only played 1 year though and he came and went so quickly it is hard to put him up there with some of the other greats. Talent wise yeah, he is as good as anyone, probably better. Guys like Hornacek, Barry Stevens, Grayer, Willoughby, Freddy and many others...they will have more of a legacy here and gave more to Cyclone basketball. Royce will never have his number retired or anything, but he will always have a spot as one of our greats. Really a unique player.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
Royce holds a special place in my heart when it comes to great Cyclones. The anxiety thing, his attitude, his shear talent, making good on a second chance, his overall outlook on things. Really a wonderful player and human an being as far as I can tell.

He was only played 1 year though and he came and went so quickly it is hard to put him up there with some of the other greats. Talent wise yeah, he is as good as anyone, probably better. Guys like Hornacek, Barry Stevens, Grayer, Willoughby, Freddy and many others...they will have more of a legacy here and gave more to Cyclone basketball. Royce will never have his number retired or anything, but he will always have a spot as one of our greats. Really a unique player.

I agree. In terms of talent, he'd probably among the top. As far as production, he just didn't stick around long enough to be in the same conversation as others.

Everything included though, he is easily top 5 all time for me. He is as well rounded of a person as he is a basketball player (other than his jump shot). We got to see him grow as a person and a basketball player right before our eyes. I think he really embodies what it means to be a Cyclone, and I am genuinely sad that we won't ever see him in an ISU jersey again.

BloodyBuddy

Mar 13, 2012
#1 for Exciting players to watch.

But to be considered an all time great I think you have to give us at least 2 years.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
I don't know about players earlier than about 1990, but Tinsley and Fizer both had significantly more impact that Royce. Tinsley never lost at home and I think beat KU 5 of 5 times. In my opinion he's a clear number one, unless someone before him can challenge him for the top spot.

I agree... I'd put Royce in about the Stinson category, maybe a little lower based on only 1 year. Royce is most likely a better player but Stinson played a major role for 3 years.

RandomFan

Aug 11, 2009
Royce's legacy, to me, is that he made ISU basketball must-see again. He filled up Hilton again. He made us relevant again.

Maybe the fact that I've been so starved for good basketball in Hilton for so long is clouding my judgement here, but I don't care if he was only here for 1 year. He brought the Magic back.

Of the players I've seen, only Fizer, Tinsley, Fred and Grayer rank ahead of him. Stevens, Dedric and Stinson are close behind him.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Royce's legacy, to me, is that he made ISU basketball must-see again. He filled up Hilton again. He made us relevant again.

Maybe the fact that I've been so starved for good basketball in Hilton for so long is clouding my judgement here, but I don't care if he was only here for 1 year. He brought the Magic back.

Of the players I've seen, only Fizer, Tinsley, Fred and Grayer rank ahead of him. Stevens, Dedric and Stinson are close behind him.

Agree, there were others that made that happen though, Royce wasn't alone. Scotty, Chris Allen, Freddy, Jamie Pollard, everyone else on the tea...all had a major hand in that.

RandomFan

Aug 11, 2009
Agree, there were others that made that happen though, Royce wasn't alone. Scotty, Chris Allen, Freddy, Jamie Pollard, everyone else on the tea...all had a major hand in that.

Very true. But Scotty, Freddy and Jamie were all around last season, and it sure wasn't near as good as this season. Royce was the key.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
One thing I think is for sure, though, we will never have another player yelling about freethrow shooting at the radio guys at the end of an NCAA tournament game.

THAT, above all other things, is my favorite Royce moment of the year.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It's really, really hard to slap a number of something like this, which is why I only went "high". Royce seemed to do at least one thing a game that made me chuckle like a little kid or a crazy older person. Some of the plays he made will rank right up with the coolest things I've ever seen on a basketball court, and I've watched a lot of basketball in my time.

For that, along with his impressive personality and the success and enthusiasm he brought back to my Cyclones, he will undoubtedly be remembered.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It's really, really hard to slap a number of something like this, which is why I only went "high". Royce seemed to do at least one thing a game that made me chuckle like a little kid or a crazy older person. Some of the plays he made will rank right up with the coolest things I've ever seen on a basketball court, and I've watched a lot of basketball in my time.

For that, along with his impressive personality and the success and enthusiasm he brought back to my Cyclones, he will undoubtedly be remembered.

Spot-on observations. I had some of those same giggle-chuckles throughout the season. Along with some "woah!" moments.

"will undoubtedly be remembered" is as good as making a top-10/top-5 list in this context.

Royce is unique because his value is immeasurable. His numbers can't reflect his value and his impact won't include a longevity factor because he was 1-and-done.

Think about the other stuff, though: remember how we heard & read, "Sure he has talent, but he's a risk ... personal problems ... blah blah. Then he comes in, has such enthusiasm to be at ISU, uses his talent to make the team better, is sincere and open about his anxiety issues — not in a "feel bad for me" way but "I want to help others who face this" ... all those things make fans want to root for him even more. Oh, and he was the key player during the best season in more than a decade.

It's difficult to pinpoint where he should "fit" among top Cyclones of all time.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
My personal rankings

realize that I am not old enough to remember grayer and those guys.

1 Hoiberg
2 Orr
3 Fizer
4 Hornacek
5 Tinsley
6 Willoughby
7 Cato
8 Rocye
9 Floyd
10 Eustachy
11 Kenny Pratt Shawn Bankhead JC Holloway.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Nope. Royce led the team in five categories his first year.

Some people forget what a stat stuffer Fred was when he was 21 (junior year, 3rd year out of high school), just like Royce:
The following season was Hoiberg’s best statistically, despite the Cyclones’ 14-13 finish. ISU suffered a major setback when starting center Loren Meyer was injured, forcing Hoiberg to pick up much of the load for the young Cyclones. As the year unfolded, Hoiberg put together arguably the greatest all-around season in Cyclone history, ranking in the Big Eight’s top 10 in seven different categories (free-throw pct., 2nd-86.4; 3-point pct., 3rd-45.0; field goal pct., 5th-53.5; scoring, 6th-20.2; steals, 8th-1.7; assists, 10th-3.6; rebounding, 10th-6.7). Amazing as it seems, Hoiberg was left off the Big Eight first-team list, mustering only a second-team selection despite his laurels.
Note these are conference rankings.

Source:http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?PRINTABLE_PAGE=YES&ATCLID=605401&DB_OEM_ID=10700

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Only playing 1 year hurts, he's one of the better Cyclones all time but didn't do enough here to be in the discussion to hang #30 in the rafters at Hilton.

In order to have a number retired, isn't a diploma required?

Spam

May 21, 2008
With the help of some

ANIMATIONPUFF.gif

Royce will be

trophy_w.gif

AND

money1.gif